Dropped laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dropped laptop

You can resell it for at least double. And that is a huge underestimation.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      how long of a battery life do you get on it? keep your old battery in your bag, as these units have a backup battery that if stock varta (german made, not a chinese knockoff), will keep the unit in sleep mode while you switch batteries. this makes the somewhat short battery life last a good deal longer.
      I wouldn't have a clue about battery life on the new battery as it just came today. $45 for a genuine Dell battery, and I've verified it's genuine as well. Seems to be using Sanyo cells, but comes with a 3 year warranty... I will see how long this one lasts for!
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
        I wouldn't have a clue about battery life on the new battery as it just came today. $45 for a genuine Dell battery, and I've verified it's genuine as well. Seems to be using Sanyo cells, but comes with a 3 year warranty... I will see how long this one lasts for!
        good score. how many w/hr? the good ones are 42 iirc. some of the smaller genuine ones were 34.

definitively keep the old one as well then... having a 2nd battery come in handy.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

It says 42w/hr on the new one, exactly as the old one.

The old one is completely knackered... in fact when you press the button on the old battery, it just flashes 3 lights continually.
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

It says 42w/hr on the new one, exactly as the old one.

The old one is completely knackered... in fact when you press the button on the old battery, it just flashes 3 lights continually.
            ouch. and i thought my old one with 60% wear was bad...

be sure to do a few full charge/discharge cycles on it.
            sigpic

Comment

Ok this is so ass. Brand new genuine Dell battery was full one minute, then gradually went down to 80% as per normal... then went down to 3% and died. What the hell?!

Comment

oh what now? 3% charge and now 15 minutes later on the charger it's at 100%? I think the thing needs to be calibrated!

Comment

That battery is dead. Kapoot. The last time I saw an actual "calibration" tool for lithium batteries was in an old Compaq Armada.

I think all calibration is is draining and charging.

If you want to rebuild the battery, let me know. I found a good source, $20 for 6 cells, and free shipping.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

oh joy.

Comment

oh what now? 3% charge and now 15 minutes later on the charger it's at 100%? I think the thing needs to be calibrated!
                      sounds like you might have been sent a dud with bad cells... sudden drops indicate individual faulty cells...

what you should do is set it so when the charge reaches a critical level it does nothing... and run it till it runs out of juice (it may say 0% for a long time). then do a full recharge. see if that makes a difference (this is how you calibrate a d400 IIRC)

edit- i was beaten to the punch i see. if my method above doesn't work, do not rebuild it. return it under warranty since you paid that much... besides, the d400 battery is not of standard construction.... it has some sort of a clipped in cover and a shell, not two glued halves like most batteries. I have yet to figure out how to open my old battery... so far, all i know is the front of the battery has a long clip on its edge that is not glued.
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 08-08-2011, 01:58 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Okay, so I've decided to buy it after some guidance from this thread. I'm not too over;ly worried if it doesn't turn out to be easily fixable, there's always ebay to resell it.

Comment

Hold on a minute here... seems like I've been mistaken!

The laptop is a Medion MD96420. It has a Core 2 Duo, not a Core i7.

Specs are...

* Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5800 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, FSB 800MHz)
                          * 17" TFT WXGA Widescreen Display 16:10 cinema format 1440 x 900 Pixels
                          * NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GS DirectX 10 graphics with 512MB GDDR2 memory with HDMI digital audio/video output
                          * 500GB hard drive
                          * 4GB DDR2 SDRAM**
                          * Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/draft-n with up to 300Mbit/s
                          * DVI & HDMI Digital AUDIO/VIDEO out
                          * Blu-ray Player
                          * Integrated webcam

------------------------------------
                          Medion Akoya MD96420 | $1,499
                          Last edited by stevo1210; 08-08-2011, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Shit. 8600M graphics, is that the one affected with dying chip sets due to overheating? Yes or no to buying this thing home? :S
                            Last edited by stevo1210; 08-08-2011, 07:33 AM.

Comment

yes, nvidia doomsday graphics.

if you plan to keep, then think long and hard before you buy. my laptop with similar graphics does alright... but it was well taken care of. yours, perhaps not. I would not buy to keep since it is already damaged... understand that you are gambling if you buy.

if you plan to sell, check prices on ebay AU first. if the prices are decently higher than what you have, sell it in whole as-is, if you try to open and part it it might fall apart since it was dropped...
                              Last edited by ratdude747; 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Not worth $100.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  Not worth $100.
                                  +1. That guy's ooooooollllddddd....

Comment

Originally posted by toastygoodness View Post
                                    +1. That guy's ooooooollllddddd....
                                    sounds like my laptop (dell latitude d630) with beefier graphics, an older cpu, a flimsier case, a bigger hard drive, HDMI, and blueray.

I paid $250 for mine in fully working and A grade condition (one invisible scratch).

If it had a working lcd but nvidia 8xxx graphics, ok, it might work
                                    if it had a non-nvidia graphics but a bad lcd, then that could also work out.
                                    Both is too much...
                                    sigpic

Comment

ok so this isn't a good deal, looks like i'll skip it then

Comment

The problem is common when any laptop gets fall. my hp laptop also get fall like this and i repaired it from service center. i think the screen of the laptop is changed. so if anyone will buy this he will buy on very cheap rates cause the rate of repairing is gonna be very high.

Comment

OHHHH YEAH. I haven't seen this guy for nearly 6 months now. I turn up to his house to use the bathroom (because I was around the corner) and his brother tells me he's moved far away from home and doesn't come back up here any more.

Anyway, his brother asked me if I wanted anything from his brother otherwise he'll be throwing them out as the brother cleans out the home. Low and behold the laptop is still there! Obviously I took it as the brother was going to chuck it out with Friday's garbage anyway.

It's in the boot of my Civic right now so I'll fish it out in the morning and see what's going on

... and yes, I got to use the bathroom.

EDIT: got it out of the boot and it works okay? I swear I saw lines on it earlier today. I even drove like a maniac and I heard the thing fly around in the boot! err...
                                          Last edited by stevo1210; 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X