• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LOL virus fail.

gdement- not quite:

time to kill the app- ~5 sec

time for it f**k your system- ~2 sec

well... who's quicker? unless you have record setting reflexes, you have little chance of killing it befor it gets you.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
      gdement- not quite:

well... who's quicker? unless you have record setting reflexes, you have little chance of killing it befor it gets you.
      Where are your facts to back this up? Has this personally happened to you?

Comment

I love how you Linux fans always tout viruses as the #1 reason why Windows sucks. I've been running with no antivirus for the last four years (mostly on XP) and have had ZERO infections. This is with constant P2P downloads. So long as you know what you're doing, there is very little risk of getting a virus.

Promote Linux on its own merits, not on BS lies about Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
          gdement- not quite:

I'm not talking about killing a virus after it's infected you. Loading a web site has never given me a virus.
          We're talking about the ability to kill Firefox (as acstech did) when it loads a suspicious site that's using Javascript to harass you and you'd rather not click on it. The ability to kill processes is the same on either OS.

Comment

why firefox,ie,ect have not coded things to allow you to kill a tab with a trapping popup on it is beyond me.
            i just collect the .exe with my linux box so i can play with the nasty in a vm.training for the jobs where wiping and reloading is not an option.i see those jobs as lots of billable hours!

Comment

I run my Xp pretty much barefoot too. A while back I was having some issues with something that was getting to me online so I did run some add ware and antivirus progies for a time. I'm back to running barefoot again now and that threat seems to be gone. I do run the Malware scanner from time to time, and so far its come up clean everytime. All this malware online does is cause me pain because there isn't even one single anything on this PC that a hacker could use. Now in the dim past I did have a virus or what ever you would call it turn my PC into a Spam Bot. It was easy to know that my PC was sick because my ISP blocked me because of the hundreds of emails flying out of my PC all the time. A format C, a widows reinstall, and a call to my ISP fixed that. This happened back during the time that I was using P2P networks like LimeWire. My wife may have gotten something on her PC yesterday. In the middle of playing games on FaceBook she got a warning that something had turned her firewall off. She jump off FaceBook and checked her firewall settings in Xp and that said the firewall was still on. It well may have been but if it was turned off for even a few seconds what ever crap ware got her could have dropped its payload. I'll check it today and see if its sick. The thing that burns me up with her is that I do run Antivrus, and malware progies on her PC because of all the online games that she plays. She turns these progies off or even uninstalls them all together. Maybe I should set her PC up like a work station and put harsh limits on any changes that she can make to the system. This would fix her azz..LOL
              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
              Rod Serling

Comment

Also a good thing to keep and eye on is the sizes of the files that you download. What you get downloaded to you should match the size that was stated before you started to download it. If the file you get is bigger than what was stated look out! It just may have something attached to it that you don't want at all. If its and EXE file and you do run it you have just given it full permision to dump its payload into your system. Its also the same token for files that turn out much smaller than what was stated. There was one out there that would be mixed in with most anything you searched for on LimeWire. Lets say that what you were looking for was about 175 megs as listed in size on most of the hits that you got. There would be a few hits mixed in with a file size of less than a meg. I don't remember what these little files were now. They may have been redirects, key logger or auto dialers but they were a pain in the butt to say the least.
                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by gdement
                  I'm not talking about killing a virus after it's infected you. Loading a web site has never given me a virus.
                  We're talking about the ability to kill Firefox (as acstech did) when it loads a suspicious site that's using Javascript to harass you and you'd rather not click on it. The ability to kill processes is the same on either OS.
                  It doesn't sound like Firefox was actually executing the .exe file so no chance of actually getting infected unless you were really stupid and ran the file manually. You would have as much time as you wanted to kill Firefox. If Firefox did execute the .exe file, even from clicking OK in the script, then that is major fail on Firefox's part and not MS's fault at all.

I make good money cleaning this sort of crap off PCs and do it a fair bit at work too. In the past couple of years, over 90% of the crap is not MS's fault at all. When I look up the infection vectors of the crap I find most of it comes in either from pure 100% user stupidity, or infects through Java or Adobe crap. Very little comes in through IE and other MS faults.

I'm in the no AV camp as well on my personal PCs. I haven't ever had a realtime scanner on my PCs and I've never gotten infected. I've won several bets with my other "techy" friends who say I could never be clean with without an AV and AS. Full offline scans of my HDs and always clean.

Comment

i'm surprised firefox wont kill a page by closing the tab,
                    i dont use firefox (opera fan), but it sounds pretty rudementry that you should just click on a tab button and the contents will be terminated.

opera works that way, i use it a lot when i open an address and it starts trying to open damned streaming video boxes.

Comment

The story I hear from my customers that run Windows, is that they simply go to the wrong website, something like this comes up, and they're infected. I ask 'em about having to click 'ok' or otherwise run a file. They deny it every time. This leads me to think one of two things is happening:

1. They're lying to me, they clicked ok, and ran the malware on their own.
                      2. It infected the system by them only having to go to the wrong website.

I've played with this stuff a bit, and I've seen it win against antivirus software in XP. Lot of good that does.
                      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

I click the X and it goes away. There are autoinfection scripts especially if your browser isn't patched.

The payload is downloaded to user/local settings/temp and then its ran. All of this happens whether you hit ok or x on the box or shut down the browser. If you aren't vulnerable it might download it and not run it or do neither.

Comment

Originally posted by washu
                          It doesn't sound like Firefox was actually executing the .exe file so no chance of actually getting infected unless you were really stupid and ran the file manually. You would have as much time as you wanted to kill Firefox. If Firefox did execute the .exe file, even from clicking OK in the script, then that is major fail on Firefox's part and not MS's fault at all.
                          I had that happen not too long ago. I got an IM from a friend that siad to look at some pictures. I clicked it and then got the download and install thing. I did figuring it was clean since it came from a friend. I was wrong. Someone must have gotten his password or infected his home PC because he was not online at that time (travels for a living) and that he never sent anything. He said that when he got back into town that he would check his home PC and changed his password. Received nothing since.. but like you said, I should have been more cautious and it was my own stupidity for running it.

Originally posted by acstech
                          The story I hear from my customers that run Windows, is that they simply go to the wrong website, something like this comes up, and they're infected. I ask 'em about having to click 'ok' or otherwise run a file. They deny it every time. This leads me to think one of two things is happening:

1. They're lying to me, they clicked ok, and ran the malware on their own.
                          2. It infected the system by them only having to go to the wrong website.

I've played with this stuff a bit, and I've seen it win against antivirus software in XP. Lot of good that does.
                          Probably clicked something. I found most of the time that people get frustrated and click OK just to get it to go away or just click anything that comes up and does not want to admit it.

Comment

in theory you could execute something with javascript using the "rollover" function.
                            so soon as the pointer goes over the selected area of screen then shit runs.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                              in theory you could execute something with javascript using the "rollover" function.
                              so soon as the pointer goes over the selected area of screen then shit runs.
                              If any browser actually does this then it is broken and has a huge security hole.

Comment

If it executes a script which is an exploit that runs a payload....

Comment

One that have had some problems with is a popup box. It has the basic question: Do you wish to install this software with a yes and a no box along with a red X. The two boxes and the X all execute the same yes command. The only way I have avoided getting the payload from this one is to crash out.
                                  Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

End it with the task manager. ESS has a web filter so the payload doesn't even make it on my system. On firefox nothing comes up for most of these "antivirus" sites.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                                      Where are your facts to back this up? Has this personally happened to you?
                                      personal experience.
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yes I'm sure.

G0 L1nux!!!!111!!!!ONE!!!1!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                                          Yes I'm sure.

G0 L1nux!!!!111!!!!ONE!!!1!!!!
                                          I want everyone to take a close look at this. You'll see that it is the Windows fans that have been argumentative, and now have started with this childishness.

All I did was point out that, using Linux, I did not get infected. The Windows fans came in and started an argument. I had never intended this thread to devolve into another Linux vs. Windows arugment. I had intended it to be a laugh at the stupid virus thread. But since they started it, here we go...

I deal with enough computers every day to know exactly what the score is. Windows gets infected, Linux does not. Period. You can argue user competence and circumstances all day long, but that's what it boils down to. You're not going to change user competence in Windows any more than you can change the application landscape for Linux. It is what it is. I have several non-computer-oriented people that run Linux. They never have these problems with malware and viruses. 99% of the time, it just works. The other 1%, an update breaks something, usually the video driver. That's easily fixed, and it doesn't happen that often.

I'll readily admit that Linux isn't for everyone. If you've got to run a program for which there is not a Linux equivalent, then you need to run Windows. If you game, then you need to run Windows. At the same time though, you need to know what the **** you're doing! Other than that, I can't really think of much of a reason to run Windows.
                                          Last edited by acstech; 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM.
                                          A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Working...
                                          X