Viewsonic VP211b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VP211b

I picked up this oldie as a Freecycle freebie. Replacing an open fuse in the inverter fixed most of the problems, so I put it to work on my desk. Gradually I became aware that the display was not working properly. Specifically, on a dark green background two broad (about 1") lines ran 2/3rd of the way across the screen. It was not noticeable on a white background, but was barely visible on a blue background. The first cause that came to mind was the CCFL backlights (something had to blow that fuse, right?)

Opening up the case and isolating the LCD panel itself was easy, but now I'm into unfamiliar territory. The panel seems to be built on a stainless steel frame. Everything seems to be held in place with a white plastic back frame with four 'catches' on each side. These latch into slots in the front frame. There are four screws of unknown purpose on the front of the metal frame. Of course, there is also the cover over the electronics section of the display.

So how do I disassemble this without breaking something?

Thanks,

PlainBill
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PlainBill; 04-10-2009, 04:41 PM.
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Re: Viewsonic VP211b

be careful on flex cables. they are very sensitive since they carry the TAB. Carelessness will bring your LCD screen unuseable anymore

Comment

do you have some photos of that line problem?
      lines are only repairable buy specific service centers like this one
      http://elsin.cz/en/lcd-repair/defects

Comment

Originally posted by mladen82
        do you have some photos of that line problem?
        lines are only repairable buy specific service centers like this one
        http://elsin.cz/en/lcd-repair/defects
        It's not a 'line' problem, it was a "line" problem.

On dark green or dark gray backgrounds there were two darker wavy lines that varied between 1" and 1/2" high. The extended about half way across the screen before fading out.

This could not have been related to the horizontal or vertical drivers, the flex cables, or anything related to them. In fact, it was caused by a poorly assembled backlight 'cartridge'.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

'splain Lucy
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
            This could not have been related to the horizontal or vertical drivers, the flex cables, or anything related to them. In fact, it was caused by a poorly assembled backlight 'cartridge'.

PlainBill
            if problem is with backlight unit, you can disassemly carefuly, but be aware any dust will easily stay inside backlight films
            The panel seems to be built on a stainless steel frame. Everything seems to be held in place with a white plastic back frame with four 'catches' on each side. These latch into slots in the front frame. There are four screws of unknown purpose on the front of the metal frame. Of course, there is also the cover over the electronics section of the display.
            face down lcd on soft cloth, remove four crews, and the cover
            then use flat screwdriver to unlatch catches
            then turn over lcd and carefuly remove metal frame
            lcd panel is probably sealed together with plastic frame, you can carefuly try on edges with flat screwdriver to pull, try to avoid touch panel with fingers inside but you must remove lcd from plastic frame
            then you have only backlight assembly (diffuser thin plates and one thick), i have reassembled many but always was dust reamined inside them
            i had only problems with bad ccfls
            sorry for bad english, if i can help with some photos i can help tomorow at job...
            Last edited by mladen82; 05-07-2009, 12:07 PM.

Comment

maybe this picture can help you

middle chassis is plastic frame, be aware that this is for lcd tv panels but with lcd monitors you only have two pair of ccfl, up and down
              Last edited by mladen82; 05-07-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Comment

No need for pictures, etc. I figured it out nearly a month ago. I'm using the monitor right now.

PlainBill

Comment

>>In fact, it was caused by a poorly assembled backlight 'cartridge'.<<

Again - 'splain Lucy
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

It's not a 'line' problem, it was a "line" problem.

On dark green or dark gray backgrounds there were two darker wavy lines that varied between 1" and 1/2" high. The extended about half way across the screen before fading out.

PlainBill
                      Hello Plainbill
                      Can you help me out please, I seem to be missing something here I have been into a number of b/light units to replace CCFLs or removing rainwater in some cases, I can understand the panel being the cause but not the units assembly
                      what exactly was the fault in there ???
                      Can you enlighten me please
                      Many thanks for a reply
                      bob

Comment

This is the first LCD panel I disassembled, so I don't know how others do it. Samsung makes this panel. It uses 6 CCFLs, three at the top, three at the bottom. The CCFLs are arranged side by side inside a C shaped 'cartridge'. This is a piece of light steel that has been painted white for reflectivity. They are held in place by running the leads through silicon rubber fittings at each end of the cartridge, and several spacers along the length of the tubes. The leads from the 'hot' end of the tubes goes directly to the inverter. The leads from the 'cold' end of the tubes run along the back of the cartridge, then are bundled with the hot leads inside heat shrinkable tubing, where they connect to the inverter. By removing 4 screws on the front of the frame, carefully loosening the latches holding the plastic and metal frames together, then removing a very tiny screw which anchors the cartridge to the metal frame, it is possible to remove the cartridge as an assembly.

When I pulled the bottom cartridge from my monitor I discovered that the end of the cartridge was discolored under two of the tubes. On the back side of the cartridge the silicon wires were obviously overheated, and there was a 1/4" length of uninsulated wires that could contact the metal. When I replaced it with a cartridge from a monitor that had a few nicks in the covering the dark lines were greatly reduced. It's not perfect, but it works very good for a $12 monitor.

No, I am NOT going to take the monitor apart again so I can take pictures.

PlainBill
                        Last edited by PlainBill; 05-07-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

This is the first LCD panel I disassembled, so I don't know how others do it. Samsung makes this panel. It uses 6 CCFLs, three at the top, three at the bottom. The CCFLs are arranged side by side inside a C shaped 'cartridge'. This is a piece of light steel that has been painted white for reflectivity. They are held in place by running the leads through silicon rubber fittings at each end of the cartridge, and several spacers along the length of the tubes. The leads from the 'hot' end of the tubes goes directly to the inverter. The leads from the 'cold' end of the tubes run along the back of the cartridge, then are bundled with the hot leads inside heat shrinkable tubing, where they connect to the inverter. By removing 4 screws on the front of the frame, carefully loosening the latches holding the plastic and metal frames together, then removing a very tiny screw which anchors the cartridge to the metal frame, it is possible to remove the cartridge as an assembly.

When I pulled the bottom cartridge from my monitor I discovered that the end of the cartridge was discolored under two of the tubes. On the back side of the cartridge the silicon wires were obviously overheated, and there was a 1/4" length of uninsulated wires that could contact the metal. When I replaced it with a cartridge from a monitor that had a few nicks in the covering the dark lines were greatly reduced. It's not perfect, but it works very good for a $12 monitor.

No, I am NOT going to take the monitor apart again so I can take pictures.

PlainBill
                          I used to have one working unit of this model (and have two non working) and the explanation is pretty good. And no, I won't open one panel either to take pics - fragile stuff. But I promise to take them the next time I tear apart a panel.
                          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050
                            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Plain-Bill,

How did you disassemble this monitor. I need to remove / replace a few capacitors on the power supply board but i cant seem to get it out of the "steel frame".

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Welchs101 View Post
                              Plain-Bill,

How did you disassemble this monitor. I need to remove / replace a few capacitors on the power supply board but i cant seem to get it out of the "steel frame".

Any thoughts?
                              DamnifIremember. All I remember at this point is it was a bear to get the back off the case. How about a picture showing what you are dealing with?

PlainBill

Comment

Well, i was able to solder the caps on the board but I could not fully remove the "power supply board". I had to turn it upside down as far as i could and solder this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Welchs101 View Post
                                  Well, i was able to solder the caps on the board but I could not fully remove the "power supply board". I had to turn it upside down as far as i could and solder this way.
                                  Glad you succeeded. The AC input connector and power switch are combined into a single module which snaps into the frame. There are two tabs at each end of the module that latch it in place. To remove the board completely you would have to compress the tabs, and slide the module back out of the frame. Then the wires will go through the slot in the frame. It's a real pain to do; the way you did it is easier.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                    I picked up this oldie as a Freecycle freebie. Replacing an open fuse in the inverter fixed most of the problems, so I put it to work on my desk. Gradually I became aware that the display was not working properly. Specifically, on a dark green background two broad (about 1") lines ran 2/3rd of the way across the screen. It was not noticeable on a white background, but was barely visible on a blue background. The first cause that came to mind was the CCFL backlights (something had to blow that fuse, right?)

Opening up the case and isolating the LCD panel itself was easy, but now I'm into unfamiliar territory. The panel seems to be built on a stainless steel frame. Everything seems to be held in place with a white plastic back frame with four 'catches' on each side. These latch into slots in the front frame. There are four screws of unknown purpose on the front of the metal frame. Of course, there is also the cover over the electronics section of the display.

So how do I disassemble this without breaking something?

Thanks,

PlainBill
                                    How did you take this thing apart? I have a bad power supply. Have removed the 4 screws in the back but don't know what to do from here. I don't want to ruin this thing. Best monitor I've ever had. Yes, I bought it brand new way back when. Expensive(!).

Any advice would be fantastic (other than 'buy a new one'.)

Comment

Originally posted by aglasser View Post
                                      How did you take this thing apart? I have a bad power supply. Have removed the 4 screws in the back but don't know what to do from here. I don't want to ruin this thing. Best monitor I've ever had. Yes, I bought it brand new way back when. Expensive(!).

Any advice would be fantastic (other than 'buy a new one'.)
                                      This monitor is the most frustrating to open that I have ever dealt with. You open it with a pick - or perhaps picks would be more correct. The two halves of the shell fit together very tightly. For tools I suggest a dissecting pick or other small pointed tool, and a dozen or so guitar picks.

Start at the bottom of the shell. Work the dissecting pick into the crack between the two halves. As I remember, the back slides over the front. Then work your way all the way across the bottom, inserting guitar picks. You will hear the catches release. Next, start at the bottom of one side until you get near the top, then switch to the other side and do the same. FINALLY you will be able to slide the back toward the top, releasing all the catches on the top edge and lifting the back off. At that point, sit down and have a beer, you've earned it.

And a suggestion - don't put the back on until you are very certain you have fixed it.

PlainBill

Comment

Butter knifes.
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X