• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minimum CPU requirement for software DVD decoding

Forgot this...
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/.../P2500nv.shtml
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

The video chip and its driver really suck. Later versions of the driver cause poor sound quality when anything on the screen moves. However, only the latest driver allows the computer to resume from standby properly.

Gateway's support page says that the dongle (the manufacturer calls it a dangle) is only needed if you want to play DVDs on a TV. I will still look for it and the software.

I have already removed the thermal pad. I was trying to make it run cooler (the fan wouldn't stop running once it started), and I thought that replacing the pad with Arctic Silver would help.
      It requires at least a 0.5mm (possibly 1mm) thick pad, and I can only find thick enough pads in huge sheets. This is the smallest sheet I have found that is thick enough. None of the computer stores list the thickness of the pads they sell. Most of the pads I have seen are about the thickness of paper.

I don't want a computer that can only play DVDs. Both of these computers are used for almost everything. They are too old to handle modern games and HD video, but they work fine for everything else. The Gateway is the best laptop I have. My other laptop has so many problems that it would be cheaper to replace it than to repair it.

Comment

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nk...LH_TitleDesc=1
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

This might work, but I don't want to buy it from eBay.

I wonder if one of the local computer stores (Computer Renaissance in Fort Collins or PCs & Parts in Loveland) would sell those. I need a replacement optical drive for my old Compaq and a keyboard for my parents' computer as well. If I don't see thermal pads at one of those stores, I'll buy one online.

Comment

Working...
          X