This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

TV testing (still in the back of a van, I haven't got to moving the beast yet):

All was done using HDMI from my laptop.

Other than some flicker at 1080P (less noticable at 720P), it looked good to me. The tilt issue btw was fixed with a settings adjustment.

Comments?
    Attached Files
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

dont mess with tilt,convergence,purity till you get it out of the van.
      i once swapped a crt in the back of a truck and delivered it to the customer.
      they saw it play fine on the inverter.a few days later they got around to hooking it up and it looked awful.sure enough we set it back in the truck and it looked normal.
      took it back into the customers place and set it up again.then it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
        dont mess with tilt,convergence,purity till you get it out of the van.
        i once swapped a crt in the back of a truck and delivered it to the customer.
        they saw it play fine on the inverter.a few days later they got around to hooking it up and it looked awful.sure enough we set it back in the truck and it looked normal.
        took it back into the customers place and set it up again.then it was fine.
        I know, it's an easy adjustment. TBH there is another adjustment out as well (whichever flattens the edges, it's kinda curvy at the top and bottom)... but I'll fine tune it when it's out of the van.
        sigpic

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Picked up these from the rubbish pile a few months ago...

A 4W Coherent Enterprise II kryton ion laser:

And a 60mW Spectra-Physics Model 127 helium neon laser:

I dare not power up the 4W laser for fear of destroying my eyesight, and my house's wiring.

TheSolarShed
          Attached Files
          Project CapRep
          Good cap replacement finder
          2354 caps in database so far

Comment

Anything over aprox. 1 mW can damage your eye permanently so even that 60 mW is very dangerous. The 4W one is so powerfull it can burn your skin or other things.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
              Anything over aprox. 1 mW can damage your eye permanently so even that 60 mW is very dangerous. The 4W one is so powerfull it can burn your skin or other things.
              Yeah, I was very cautious around it and definitely didn't play with the beam. It's a Class 3B.

As for the 4W laser, it requires water cooling and the power supply is 10kW. Yes... These krypton ion lasers are at most 0.04% efficient, apparently! I want to at least power up the unit to get the run time from it, but I worry that the inrush current alone will trip breakers and melt switches. >.<

TheSolarShed
              Project CapRep
              Good cap replacement finder
              2354 caps in database so far

Comment

Man you can possibly built a cutter with such thing…yeah, will need much work and you possibly cannot do it alone, but it's definitelly worth it…
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSolarShed View Post
                  Yeah, I was very cautious around it and definitely didn't play with the beam. It's a Class 3B.

As for the 4W laser, it requires water cooling and the power supply is 10kW. Yes... These krypton ion lasers are at most 0.04% efficient, apparently! I want to at least power up the unit to get the run time from it, but I worry that the inrush current alone will trip breakers and melt switches. >.<

TheSolarShed
                  4W laser?! What in the world, who throws that out into a dumpster!

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271619041755

Not my best score, but considering that my Weller W60-P took a hike (in a box somewhere) and my old stand's base rusted to oblivion (I had rigged it using the lid to an old gateway (newton) PSU), I think it's good. from the pictures, It looks like either another W60-P or a W100P (beefier 100W version), as the end of the elment is grooved like the end nut of said models (uses temp controlled tips). Besides, it's a heavy cast iron base... heck yeah!

Edit- Apparently they redid the base design at some point and the new version of the same model is $15 new... BUT, the W100P is specced as the matching iron and has a larger element barrel (and tips?) which this seems to have... New W100P's are $55-$75 new, so IMHO this is a score.
                    Last edited by ratdude747; 10-04-2014, 07:24 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Picked up some goodies today from a couple places. Thankfully everything fits into the box (except the laserdisc player).

All together I got:
                      Pioneer CLD-980 Laserdisc Player
                      Quantum Viking II 9.1 gig hard drive with the Adaptec AHA-2940
                      Boxed and sealed copy of Kings Quest
                      Boxed copy of Civilization (1)
                      Office 2000 Standard Upgrade
                      Photoshop Elements 3 for Windows
                      A bunch of shellac records, a couple 7" 4-track tapes and some blank casettes
                      Star TSP143 thermal receipt printer w/ cutting blade in it
                      Partner Tech Corp CD7220 RS232 20x2 VFD
                      and a Thinkpad R52.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/271619041755

Not my best score, but considering that my Weller W60-P took a hike (in a box somewhere) and my old stand's base rusted to oblivion (I had rigged it using the lid to an old gateway (newton) PSU), I think it's good. from the pictures, It looks like either another W60-P or a W100P (beefier 100W version), as the end of the elment is grooved like the end nut of said models (uses temp controlled tips). Besides, it's a heavy cast iron base... heck yeah!

Edit- Apparently they redid the base design at some point and the new version of the same model is $15 new... BUT, the W100P is specced as the matching iron and has a larger element barrel (and tips?) which this seems to have... New W100P's are $55-$75 new, so IMHO this is a score.
                        FAIL!

It's an old W60P that fell apart due to rust when I tried the change the tip out... TBH I had to do some work with a vice and vice grips to even get anything to budge. IDK how one makes an iron rust like that... like salt water or bleach got caught up in the tip holder and rotted that and the end nut to oblivion...

The seller gave me a full refund (I only asked a partial since the stand is fine) and isn't requiring a ship-back... So it's a win but I sorta feel like a schmuck. And I STILL don't have in-house soldering capabilities (unless my lost box turns up, one can pray).
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 10-09-2014, 04:32 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Back on topic:

$5: Canon Powershot A610 w/factory case. Decent shape, needed the lens cover rebuilt (which I did). Not a fan of the lens cover design but seems to be a nice (albeit battery hungry, 4xAA) design otherwise. The only other issue is the preview switch doesn't quite work (stuck in shooting mode, could be worse).
                          Last edited by ratdude747; 10-14-2014, 03:02 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Back on topic:

$5: Canon Powershot A610 w/factory case. Decent shape, needed the lens cover rebuilt (which I did). Not a fan of the lens cover design but seems to be a nice (albeit battery hungry, 4xAA) design otherwise. The only other issue is the preview switch doesn't quite work (stuck in shooting mode, could be worse).
                            Good news: Got the bad switch to work

Bad news: the lens cover went to shit, went to re-rebuild it, and a spring flew off to never never land. I ended up pulling the rest of the cover springs/covers and storing them as extra parts, as this camera is honestly too bulky to use as a pocket camera (other than the flip out screen I don't see anything better than my A540 other than it not having a broken battery latch)

(now if only old DSLRs weren't still $$$ on ebay...)
                            sigpic

Comment

My source for goodies is sending a goodie box of stuff in trade for some caps.....pretty useless crap except for this: Supermicro X8DTI motherboard!!

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...5500/X8DTi.cfm
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

lol
                                the ram suppliers are going to love you!
                                i'v not seen a board populated like that since i worked on SGI stuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                  My source for goodies is sending a goodie box of stuff in trade for some caps.....pretty useless crap except for this: Supermicro X8DTI motherboard!!

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...5500/X8DTi.cfm
                                  You and SM boards... lucky bastard.
                                  sigpic

Comment

They sent me one last year too, its still in use in my office machine, dual LGA771 5400 series Xeon workstation board (no onboard video). This one will do the 5500 and 5600 series, LGA1366. It is more of a server board, has onboard video....but also has a 16x PCI-E, so I'll be able to run a video card of my own and disable the onboard. I'm sure I'll be able to pound it into a workstation.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      They sent me one last year too, its still in use in my office machine, dual LGA771 5400 series Xeon workstation board (no onboard video). This one will do the 5500 and 5600 series, LGA1366. It is more of a server board, has onboard video....but also has a 16x PCI-E, so I'll be able to run a video card of my own and disable the onboard. I'm sure I'll be able to pound it into a workstation.
                                      Mine still has SLI so at least I have you owned in one place, LOL.

Although I'm still using DDR1 (albeit PC3200 FB 2GB's)
                                      sigpic

Comment

The one I got last year was a brand new X7DWA-N, still in its original box. I stuck a pair of quad core 3GHz 1600MHz FSB E5472 Xeons with 16gb DDR2 FB memory. it's been a solid system....and will continue to be, its not going anywhere. If this board is good, which their stuff tends to be good, I may scrub my paxville build and fit this in that other SM case...you know, the one with the spare X5DAL...
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Holy dogshit!!! the package arrived today....along with the X8DTI, there is another X7DWA-N in there they didn't tell me about. Brand new in its retail box!! God I love these people!!! Totally wasn't expecting that!! These cost me about $100 bucks worth of caps....based on the site prices anyway.

Yup, that decided it, totally dumping the paxville build!
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X