Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

820uF 25WV 10mm x 20mm -- available anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

820uF 25WV 10mm x 20mm -- available anywhere?

I need to replace two caps (both the same) on the power supply of a Samsung flat panel monitor. The caps are:

- Brand: CapXon
    - Series: GL
    - Type: Aluminum electrolytic, radial leads
    - Capacitance: 820uF
    - Working voltage: 25V
    - Temperature rating: 105 degrees
    - Diameter: 10mm
    - Height: 20mm
    - Lead spacing: 5mm

I'm having a real problem finding caps of the same size. I find 820uF's that are 10mm diameter but 25mm high (which would put the tops close to or in contact with a metal cover when reassembled) or 12.5mm diameter and 20mm high (which would put the capacitor sides very close to or in contact with other components, such as a heat sink). So, anything larger than 10mm x 20mm is a tight squeeze.

The current CapXon GL Series product listing does not include 820uF's in the size I need. I have tried contacting SamXon, and they are not very responsive.

Before I give up and cram a couple 12.5 x 20's in there, does anyone have any ideas for locating 820uF 10 x 20's of decent quality?

Also -- out of curiousity -- is there a connection between the small size of the 10 x 20's and the fact that they failed? Does size reduction translate into compromised durability?

All advice will be welcomed. Thanks!!

Re: 820uF 25WV 10mm x 20mm -- available anywhere?

That size of cap is not frequency critical - can you use long leads and then bend it sideways.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCurious View Post
      I need to replace two caps (both the same) on the power supply of a Samsung flat panel monitor. The caps are:

- Brand: CapXon
      - Series: GL
      - Type: Aluminum electrolytic, radial leads
      - Capacitance: 820uF
      - Working voltage: 25V
      - Temperature rating: 105 degrees
      - Diameter: 10mm
      - Height: 20mm
      - Lead spacing: 5mm

I'm having a real problem finding caps of the same size. I find 820uF's that are 10mm diameter but 25mm high (which would put the tops close to or in contact with a metal cover when reassembled) or 12.5mm diameter and 20mm high (which would put the capacitor sides very close to or in contact with other components, such as a heat sink). So, anything larger than 10mm x 20mm is a tight squeeze.

The current CapXon GL Series product listing does not include 820uF's in the size I need. I have tried contacting SamXon, and they are not very responsive.

Before I give up and cram a couple 12.5 x 20's in there, does anyone have any ideas for locating 820uF 10 x 20's of decent quality?

Also -- out of curiousity -- is there a connection between the small size of the 10 x 20's and the fact that they failed? Does size reduction translate into compromised durability?

All advice will be welcomed. Thanks!!
      Welcome to the forum! Yes, the 820uf is an oddball value that samsung likes to use. Here's a possible workaround: check to see if these two caps are in parallel, meaning do their positive leads share the same copper pad on the foil side of the board? If yes, then try using a 1000uf and 680uf, which add up to 1680uf vs the 1640uf you're looking for. The 40uf difference should be ok.

Also, I've seen samsung monitors with three 820's in parallel, which equal 2460uf. If this is your case, then you can use two 1000uf and one 470uf, which equals 2470uf. I just repaired a samsung 730B using this method.
      Last edited by jetadm123; 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

or put em sideways.

Comment

Use a 1000uF cap instead.

Digikey has plenty of stock of 1000uf 25v 10x20 caps. Low ESR too.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

820? sounds like a poly value. i would go 1000uf and mount it sideways . a little lead exposed like that is A-OK. if worried, strip some wire out of a junker PSU and use the stripped plastic.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              820? sounds like a poly value.
              He said it was a capxon GL, which are electrolytics. This would probably do the job if he can get it to fit
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MrCurious View Post
                Rubycon ZLK 25v 820uF 10X20mm. Search for "25ZLK820M10X20".

Capacitance Tolerance: 20%
                Temperature Range: -40 to 105C
                Rated Ripple Current: 2880
                Diameter: 10mm
                Height: 20mm
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

"25ZLK820M10X20" shows one result to a website called "thecapking". If they're anything like ZLH, then they're quite good. Anyone know the ESR on them?
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                    Anyone know the ESR on them?
                    http://www.datasheetdir.com/ZLK+download

0.028 to 0.084 depending on temp and frequency.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: bending radial caps sideways:

Doing that increases the ESR value and can act as an antenna for induced noise on the power.

From horse's mouth on spec sheets:
                      Rubycon page: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...09febe2e03.pdf

Nichicon HV are a match, but no one has stock.

You could go with the 1000uF/25v Samxon GT's that Topcat stocks:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=109

The additional capacitance won't hurt and the ripple and ESR are better than the Capxon GL's.

NOTE: Although Digikey has 1000/25 in 10x20, none are high enough ripple or low enough ESR for this application compared to GL.

You want equal or better than the originals GL's. They are not listed in the GL datasheet at that size. To get the correct ratings, you have to pick the correct can size, which on the sheet would be the next lower capacitance value of 680uF. That size gives 1280mA ripple and 0.052Ω (52 milliohms). Most likely Capxon "special made" them for Samsung.

Toast
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

A few minutes ago, I ordered the Rubycon ZLKs. I like the fact that they are the same capacitance and size as the originals, and the better ripple current specs (2880 mA versus ~1280 to ~1460 [depending on can size] for the CapXon GL series) is a plus.

Many thanks to all of you who replied with advice -- especially retiredcaps for the tip on the ZLKs.

I'll let you know how this all turns out!

Comment

Good. I'd like some pics of them when you get them, please.

Top, bung, and printing on both sides of the sleeve.

veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                            Good. I'd like some pics of them when you get them, please.

Top, bung, and printing on both sides of the sleeve.

These are not the same caps, but I got them from the same vendor as mentioned above. Mine are 1000uF 16V.

Sorry, it is very overcast rainy day here today so the pc quality isn't the best.
                            Attached Files
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

They certainly -look- authentic. But, I'd like one of the gurus that are more familiar to verify. There are many fakes and I'm not sure of this vendor. I'd still like to see pics from MrCurious when his arrive.
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

FYI guys....
                                I've been using caps from The Cap King for the past several months and have yet to have any issues. They are my "go to guys" for Ruby's and other quality caps when DigiKey is out of stock. Also, they get your order shipped quickly.
                                That's been my overall experience with them.

Comment

uhh... i wouldn't be talking about the competition in that way. you know "the king" was spamming the comments on a article on "the plague". he was bashing badcaps.net...

also, topcat mentioned somewhere that he knows "something" about "the king"... but i have no idea what it is exactly is.

edit- found the thread on it:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9799
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM.
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I tried this and it didn't work. No power on. Hmm..

Comment

Thank you for reviving a thread from 2010.

Just because it didn't work in your case, doesn't mean this wasn't a valid solution for the original poster.
                                      Your monitor/tv/whatever may have other issues. Make a thread for it separately along with pictures and how the problem manifests.

Comment

Working...
                                      X