Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN60E6500EF blinking red light

Hello all,

I have a 3 year old Samsung plasma TV that I'm trying to fix. It's a PN60E6500EF. The problem started about a year ago when the TV just stopped working one night. The screen went dark and no red light at all ... dead like as if the power cord was removed. I opened it up and found the main ac fuse (F801S) on the power supply was blown. Long story short, I ended up ordering a replacement power supply board (BN44-00513A) from ShopJimmy.com. Installed the board and the tv worked great for about 6 months when the TV turned itself off and the red light started blinking. I can removed power, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in and it will usually work for a short period (< hour) before it powers off again. The time that it stays on seems to be less every-time I cycle power. I looked at the board and saw no obvious bulging caps or burnt components. I ordered the repair kit from ShopJimmy and replaced all the capacitors they included in the kit (CM802, CX851, CX857, CX858) but decided to wait on the other components for now since they are more involved to replace and I keep reading that capacitors are the usual suspects. When I reinstalled the power supply it seems to work normally and stayed working for hours longer than before but then it started again. When it turns itself off the red light will blink twice, repeating 5 times, then pause and repeat the blinking twice 5 times cycle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: On the first power supply board, I also bought the repair kit for it and replaced all of the components. This made no difference. It is still dead as a doorknob and doesn't even blow the ac fuse.

Re: Samsung PN60E6500EF blinking red light

Your capacitors are fine, the reason you saw a difference is probably because you moved the board around and the component that has a cracked solder joint on your board was able to make contact for a smidgen longer.
    Check bad solder joints on your power supply, and also check your Y sustain and X sustain. First place I would look is anything mounted to a heat sink and immediately around it, any transformer, and or inductor.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I did a visual inspection and found a few questionable solder joints. I re-soldered and reinstalled the power supply. It's currently powered on and working so far (~15 minutes) with no problems. Hopefully it stays that way!

Comment

Update: Still working with no issues

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Good call Nick
          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I have the same tv. It comes on shows the samsung logo then cycles on and of in a loop? Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem or should I take the back off and start doing some tests?

Comment

Model PN60E6500E This is the underside of my upper Y Buffer Board. As you can see the solder has melted away and left holes underneath where the IC's are. I re-soldered all the holes and put it back in. The initial problem was the tv power cycling on and off with the Samsung logo showing briefly onscreen. Now the set stays on but I am getting VS & Va's ramping up then dropping off, I have all the ribbon cables to the screen and X drivers disconnected. Is it possible that because the panel is not calling for power from the boards that the logic board is telling it to shutdown? Any and all advice would be appriciated thanks.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Logen1; 04-14-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

It was the main board that was at fault, I used solder paste (Paste-It) from Lowes and used a heat gun with a custom made end and fixed the Y Buffers set is up and running but the Y Sus is making a rather loud humming noise? I can't really here it when the back cover is I. Though?

Comment

The cause of this samsung plasma set power cycling on and off and only flashing the samsung smart logo before shutdown, then the most likely culprit is the Y Buffer boards as the heat causes the solder to flow out from the holes under the IC's.

Comment

Hi guys, i have this exact same issue... it was not working at all for about 2 weeks. I was about to give up then last night I used a hair dryer and blew heat on the power board for about 2 minutes and it fired right up and ran all night. That was last night, today I used the hair dryer to get it going again but it's done the power cycling on/off a few times already. Can anyone post pics to show more detail on how to recognize bad solder on any of the boards? and how do you fix it? just apply solder to the joints that are found to be bad? i've done some minor basic soldering in the past. Thanks for any help you can provide. I'd like to fix this permanently rather than use the hair dryer to start my TV everytime

Comment

remove your power supply, flip it over and check all components on heatsinks and that have rivets.

i would just touch them all up, even if they look good.
                      WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

tried this last night, touched up the solder on all the heat sink points and most of them i could see. No luck, TV is still powering on/off multiple times in a row every couple minutes.

Comment

I only checked the power board, but based on the above posts i'm thinking maybe i'll check the back of the X and Y boards as to see if there are any obvious solder issues there.

Comment

if you got it started by applying heat, you could be looking at a cap issue.

think it is time to upload pics and get a dmm handy.

Comment

Attached are pics of my powerboard. I don't see any bad caps (noticeably) on this board or any of the others. Interesting to me that right now when the TV is plugged in there no standby light on, when I blow a hair dryer on the lower left hand quadrant of the power board for less than 30 seconds it powers right on... I basically blew the air on the metal piece to the right of where the power supply cord coming from the wall plugs into the power board.
                              i can't make this stuff up
                              Attached Files

Comment

Are you talking about the metal box with the holes in it? Can you see what's inside the box? Could be a bad cap or bad solder joint. How about some straight down shots of the bottom of the power supply?

Comment

if you have no standby and it starts up when you apply heat, you will most likely just have to change out the stby cap. they regularly fail without any visual sign.

Comment

Yes, talking about the metal box with the holes in it. I'm not sure what's in there but will take a closer look and post some additional pics.

Comment

Originally posted by attainteddragon View Post
                                      if you have no standby and it starts up when you apply heat, you will most likely just have to change out the stby cap. they regularly fail without any visual sign.
                                      Can you point out the stby cap in my picture? is it on the power board or elsewhere? Sounds like that might be a possibility as that exactly whats happening. Would like to try and replace it if I can. Also, just to elaborate, after applying the heat the stby light comes on and I can power on the TV briefly but then it starts power cycling... turning on/off repeatedly.

Comment

I am having a similar problem with this TV. Hi. On my power supply board, there is a 1250v square blue capacitor that is ruptured. Would I be able to just replace it or do I need a whole new board?

Comment

Working...
                                        X