tips for buying cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tips for buying cases

i know some of you out there might be case shopping. lots of choices, What to do?

please post:

tips on quality (how to tell good from flimsy, etc.)

good/bad brands*

good/bad: stores,sites,methods of obtaining cases

and everything else relevant to buying cases

also, pictures of good/bad case symptoms/traits (good construction vs bad construction, etc.)

*- please try to stay on topic- cases only! exception: you may mention brief description on bundled power supplies/fans/accessories- example: "brand ____ make good cases, but their power supplies are to be avoided."

i got ripped when i bought a flimsy case/crappy power supply bundle. i didnt know about bad caps, bad power supply brands, flimsy cases, etc. this thread should reduce the amount of people buying crap and paying for it down the road.

oh a few last notes:

1. feel free to comment on things- if things get to war-like/long, please take it onto a new thread, we wand newbies to case buying to be able to get info easily

2. avoid the term (and similar-sounding terms) "ricer lights". this term contains a racial slur and even though I'm an American-born- i find the term offensive and so may others... use things like "flashy lights, etc.

to start, bad brands i know of:

POWMAX- (flashy, but flimsy cases, one swift kick will implode one of these if you remove a side panel )

average/good:

antec (good cases, power supplies can be good or bad)

chieftec (like antec, solid cases, dunno about powersupplies)
    Last edited by ratdude747; 07-01-2009, 12:18 AM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: tips for buying cases

Case?
    No wonder there's never any room on my desk!
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Ask yourself if the case sucks. If the answer is yes, donĀ“t buy it.

Comment

OK all kidding aside, if you want a good case youĀ“re gonna have to spend a decent amount of cash. WeĀ“re talking $100-ish here.

But arenĀ“t you running a 866 P3? IĀ“d focus on finding something a bit faster first. Craigslist is your friend. Also donĀ“t be ashamed to dumpster dive, most of us on here have found some good stuff that way.

Comment

no, were talking cases i general. i dont need a new one, but trashing my old powmax pos reminded mne how i never knew and i thought others might want to know about what to look for.

so this advice is not for me more as it is actually for noobs everywhere on here

btw, i have something faster, but i like the p3 too much. probably because it matches the monitor/keyboard and it was given as a gift and im too attached to it. that and the faster one only has no pcie 16x slot, just solder holes for one. and the p3 has lots more expansion slots. it works well for a home theater pc (once my caps come in so i can ditch the nova caps). don't comment on this paragraph here, start a new thread or go to "p3 running HOT"
          sigpic

Comment

i like a clean look. preferably black and black drives.
            120mm fans only
            front or top usb ports
            reasonable space inside
            no psu
            no front door

since a while i just buy coolermaster
            the lower end models are reasonably priced, fit for purpose

right now i got RC-690-KKN1-GP thats $80 but the around $50 are not bad either
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

whats do you have against front doors?
              sigpic

Comment

Okay I'll be nice: I look for:

Air flow!

2x 3.5" bays.
                Second is for a card reader or a zip drive and I seem to always want one or the other.
                If I want both I use combo floppy/card-reader in one bay and the zip in the other.

Check clearance between CD Bays and motherboard tray.
                Don't want parts on mobo preventing installing a drive in the bay you want it in.

Front USB ports.
                Reduces cost later because you won't need something that takes up a drive bay AND you don't waste a bay over USB.
                A 'USB door' is preferred to keep crap [dust bunnies] out of the USB ports but no door is better than a crappy door that doesn't open easily.
                [Or air-seal back side of USB ports.]
                USB ports should NOT be over CD or FDD bays where attached cables [to outside devices] hang and get in the way of accessing drives.

Uses a standard ATX form factor power supply.
                - Don't use PSU that comes with. Get a good one.

Position of PSU in case should be the standard location.
                [Think like a tower case here.] There are some older 'space saver' cases that mount PSU vertically on it's side -next to- the mobo vs horizontally -over- the motherboard as it should be. Those are an old design intended for socket 370 [or comparable AMD] and with a P4-up you may have issues fitting a proper CPU cooler between mobo and PSU.

Like Willa, I don't like doors over the CD or floppy drive bays AT ALL.

I like clean styling vs something that looks like it was designed for the Power Rangers.

Black is good!

I don't have a brand preference.
                Just look for one that does what I want.

~~
                My last two cases were Black Supermicro Server cases which are FREAKIN' COOL!
                - but not quite what the topic is about.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

front doors
                  - get broken off accidently
                  - if you decide you dont like them the case usually looks shit without them
                  - restrict easy access to drives
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                    whats do you have against front doors?
                    I don't like them either. They just seem very useless and you have to open and close them every time you want to put in a CD or whatever else.
                    ----
                    The OEM cases that Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, eMachines, and all other major companies use are decent and fairly sturdy. Only problem that you might have with them is if they are proprietary or if they are not well ventilated (like most P4-era Dell Dimension cases).
                    You can't find them for sale in stores, though, so I guess this doesn't really qualify as a tip for buying new cases.
                    But if you find any used cases like that, make sure to get them. Older P1-era cases can also be pretty decent, and usually you can get them for free if you go dumpster-diving.

I once found a Gateway P5-100 case from a P1 (66MHz?) Gateway PC. Now that was a nice case! Very heavy, very thick steel sides, very sturdy construction (you could sit on it and it wouldn't even make a squeak). Was very big too. Only problem was that it was AT, not ATX. I was going to mod it to an ATX but unfortunately my dad threw it out.
                    ----
                    As for tips to buying a good case:
                    If it's heavier it's probably built better
                    Don't be cheap if you want good quality

Everything else is just personal preference.

Comment

Front doors.
                      Have your parents install a door closer and a locking door knob on your bedroom door that always locks automatically so that EVERY time you want to go into your room you have to fiddle around with a key to get in.
                      -
                      Unnecessary and a continual obstacle. - Same as those doors.
                      -

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Antec P182 is the king of air flow.
                        Front door is annoying... blocks the CD driver.
                        The hinge is on the left, annoying when the case is on your right.

Antec Solo
                        Smaller than P182, still great air flow.

Both come without PSU. Buy a good one (not Antec).

Comment

i have no issue with doors

some have locks over pwr switch so if it needed to be secure, it could be

my powmax had a magnetic door latch- one of the few things on it that was not flimsy-

what i perosonally hate are cover doors over drives like on most oem cases now. now THATS flimsy

hey- power rangers styling looks awesome, but most cases like that are flimsy... aliennware wasnt popular just for the specs, it was also the styling.

if you can actually see the case in a store, that helps too- shit cases will often come in ugly white boxes with black print

if you are like me, i use my drives in clusters (either often or not at all). i only use mine to install linux and make live cds. just leave the door open when using it. its not THAT hard to use a door... don't be lazy
                          sigpic

Comment

oh, and doors work if you keep the case on bottom/below desk. also, if you smoke, that keeps the ashtray away from front fan (i DON'T smoke, but i have seen what an ashtray by the fan can do )

look for a crossbar between cd bays and psu bay- makes case stronger, all non-oem cases that were not flimsy have this, or so i have seen
                            sigpic

Comment

Here's my favorite case so far, and i've been building computers for over 10 years now..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811154094

Small (microATX), but can take a fullsized NVIDIA/ATI video card, ie 8800GTX, Geforce GTX 260/80.. The video card comes within about 1 or 2 mm from the drive frame, and you have to tilt the card into the empty space in drive cage, but fits with no rework necessary.

With single video card, fits three 3.5" hard drives, presumably with SLI would lose bottommost one, so two hard drives..

Nice sturdy handle on top.. I've had my heavily loaded gaming rig in one, still doesn't creak or sound like it's coming off.

Can take a fullsized CPU heatsink, though it can be tough mounting it, with the PSU installed. Easier just to get something a little smaller.. Or a Scythe Ninja Mini.

Has mounting spot for 120mm x 25mm thick fan in front of hard drive bays, and 92 mm fan for back.. I use a San Ace 92mm and just hook to motherboard for speed control.. Front fan is an Antec tricool.

The two external 3.5" bays aren't drilled for internal hard drives, so i put a 2x 2.5" laptop drive adapter into one of them, and my USB flash card reader in the other..

Cons:

can have sharp metal in the damndest places.. But computers sometimes appreciate a blood sacrifice, as they're arcane machinery anyway.. ;-) But mostly it's turned down or in, so not terribly likely to get cut..

Comment

Open the case and run your finger around the edges if you draw blood the case is junk .

I always look for rolled edges razer blade edges are a sign of a cheap case.

Press down on top of the case if you hear it pop in and out like a soda can again keep looking. Thin gauge steel causes this.

Buying a case is mostly aesthetics and airflow for me.
                                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

My favorite case (this month anyway) is CoolerMaster's HAF932 - it's mostly steel and it is large - takes ATX-E boards so the extra length is there for long vid card without any restrictions - and it moves more air than anything I have seen - very versatile mounting for fans and psus as well - can take a psu top and/or bottom and comes with three 230mm fans which can be swapped for 120's if desired - has space for another big one in the bottom if you use a smaller psu.

Comment

gg1978: Isn't Apex technically Allied? I know the Apex power supplies are Allied/Deer for sure.
                                    ----
                                    One way to check if a case is built well is to test how well it withstands a twist. For that put your hands on any 2 corners opposite of each other on the top side of the case, then press down to the floor and twist the case. To get better results, the side panels of the case should be removed, though. Crappy cases will twist a lot with their side panels removed. Good cases will twist little. Motherboard tray should also not twist or bend when you do this test.
                                    Also, if you take a side panel and it bends easily, it's probably a cheap case.
                                    Krankshaft's test is also pretty valid. If the case pops or squaks a lot when pressed, it's cheap.

And lastly, the airflow - there should be holes around the HD area to allow for ventilation of the HDs and generally the front of the case should have plenty of vents. Exhaust fans need to have good grilles as well, otherwise they won't be effective (in that case, be prepared to use your dremel).

Comment

Hello.

I've gone through a TON of cases over here.
                                      You can get decent inexpensive cases such as Micro Centers "PowerSpec" MATX which is what I generally use for builds, or spend a bunch on a case you'll hate.

Front doors are best avoided as they generally just get in the way and break. A locking one might be desirable if it covers the power switch and you want to restrict access to children.

The less plastic, the better. Switches and ports should be solid and mounted high if the tower is to sit on the floor.

Cooling is most important. It's best to have 120mm fans or at least a 92mm with a very open grille. Cases such as the Antec SOLO and Sonata are sturdy and well-cooled, but the best I've seen is the Antec 900. You don't need a lot of fans, but the airflow has to be good. The 900 is kinda overkill, really.

The best ATX case I've ever seen is my Lian-Li V1000BW plus. This is a Mac Pro knockoff in Black with a window. Other than the window, there is no plastic in it anywhere and the style and finish are awesome. Cooling is very good though not as good an the Antec 900. The only downside is the location of the front panel ports down at the bottom.

The best computer case I've ever seen is my Mac Pro! Like the Lian-Li there is no plastic though there is a little inside.
                                      It's not really an ATX case but the fit, finish, style and construction are superior to even the very excellent Lian-Li. Apparently Apple thinks so too as they have now used the same case over 3 generations of Mac Pro and the previous G5.

Go figure.... a Store-bought computer besting Lian-Li. I would have never thought so.

Good things to have in a case: No front door. A minimum of plastic, or none at all. Good cooling. Style you can live with. Solid construction without sharp edges. Easy access to drives. Front panel ports and switches near the top.

For many, I recommend the Antec 900. It's got great cooling, style, convenient top-mounted switches/ports, decent construction and a reasonable price. Even the plastic on it isn't bad.
                                      By far most people want the low-spec MATX cased systems though. No one (other than me) has ever wanted to ante up for a Lian-Li. Their loss.

On the tiny end, I've got a mini-ITX system in a stylish black case. It's nice, but guess what blows it away?
                                      The Mac Mini! Plus the Mini has an optical drive.

Oh well. I give up on trying to beat Mac.
                                      Keri
                                      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

kerijane, mac=too expensive= 2500 for a case

ill take th lian-li just so i can afford to eat next month
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X