X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL2623W: flickering soon followed by more problems

Hello

what an amazing site i must say

been digging through some of the acer AL series screens to see if i could get any pre advice before i posted

so basically i have had this acer AL2623W 26inch screen for a number of years now

i always noticed a small noise coming from the back for many years now but in the last month or so when the screen came back on it used to flicker over the whole screen for a few seconds, i'm guessing until its warm? also some other slight electrical sounds.... so i knew it was on the way out, but i dont have any problems with dead pixels etc and its a pretty good screen so i would like to try and rescue what i can

so earlier today the flickering started when i was using the machine, it had been on for a while, so i turned off at button and back on again, but this time it would not fire up! was a regular sound coming from the back trying to fire it up

turned off my cpu and screen and came back later, same again but i left my cpu and screen on, back in 10 mins to see half the screen on the right very dull and still flickering so i tried changing some menu settings just incase but nothing changed it

i had a hnch it might be some parts replaceable at the back so took it apart and got to the back and exposed the boards, its late here now and will wait for sunlight to take pictures and put them up in the next few days

the bigger board has

3x Samxon 680uF 35v - these are all slightly bugled and one has a small amount of browning at the top, not much but certainly present

1x Suscon 680uF 25v - this looks bulged too, clear of fluids, the yellow board has changed colour near this one tho [darkened]

all the other capacitors do look ok from what i can see inc the big black one, also on the smaller green board everything looks good

hope that will help for now until i can get some pictures up to show u, if there is any info i may of missed please let me know and i will do my best to find out and show

thank you very much in advance

Re: Acer AL2623W: flickering soon followed by more problems

Originally posted by majorlee View Post
    3x Samxon 680uF 35v - these are all slightly bugled and one has a small amount of browning at the top, not much but certainly present

1x Suscon 680uF 25v - this looks bulged too, clear of fluids, the yellow board has changed colour near this one tho [darkened]
    This my standard advice regarding capacitor replacement (regulars may skip). Don't skimp on replacing all the capacitors as this is a 26 inch monitor and worth saving.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      This my standard advice regarding capacitor replacement (regulars may skip). Don't skimp on replacing all the capacitors as this is a 26 inch monitor and worth saving.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3
      thank you for such a quick answer and help

i dont have many electronic skills but can use a soldering iron ok, i might take it down the local repairer with some decent caps

oh just to add, the green light on the power button is on and functioning as normal
      Last edited by majorlee; 04-08-2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

ok here are some pictures

hope they are ok

picture 3/4/5 is the suspect caps, the three green larger ones are obviously knackered and the one in the corner on picture 6

in picture 6 u can also see ths discolouration of the board, this was where the noise was coming from too

anyone know any good german vendors for new caps?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by majorlee; 04-09-2012, 07:26 AM.

Comment

in picture 6 u can also see ths discolouration of the board, this was where the noise was coming from too
          Some discoloration is normal because there are mosfets or transistors probably on the backside and they tend to run hot.

anyone know any good german vendors for new caps?
          See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613

We have a number of German members and maybe one will provide some real life input?

It is important to get proper low ESR caps for replacements on the power board.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

funny thing is on the other side of that tiny heatsink, there is no mosfet!

we have a few kool local hobby electrical shops called Omega, will go down and see what they have there 2moro

http://www.omega-electronic.de/

been having a look on the german sites but so many different caps!!!

can anyone help me refine my search a little? electric double layer/aluminium/cermaic etc etc
            Last edited by majorlee; 04-09-2012, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Dont speak German so cant navigate the site you mention.

Digikey have a German site ( as do Mouser and Farnell)

http://www.digikey.de/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll
              type capacitors in search
              tick in stock
              aluminium
              FM or FC or FR Panasonic

Narrows it down a lot then you just put in the voltage and
              uF value - make sure the size given is the same or very near
              to what you are replacing (it needs to fit the space)
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                Dont speak German so cant navigate the site you mention.

Digikey have a German site ( as do Mouser and Farnell)

http://www.digikey.de/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll
                type capacitors in search
                tick in stock
                aluminium
                FM or FC or FR Panasonic

Narrows it down a lot then you just put in the voltage and
                uF value - make sure the size given is the same or very near
                to what you are replacing (it needs to fit the space)

thanx

dont speak much german either lol!!!

both sites can be translated to english through the site and not google translate etc, one has a catalogue but just in german

thanx for tips

edit - just realized i didnt photo the under sides of the boards, sorry willl gewt them up asap
                Last edited by majorlee; 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

http://www.digikey.de/product-detail...2417-ND/613778

http://www.digikey.de/product-detail...2390-ND/613751

thats the FM ones

Comment

Are the bad green Samxon caps' series GF or GK?

I'm having a hard time reading the print in the photos.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

GK mate

Comment

Hmm, GK could be turning into another GF series?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=228552
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

just want to ask....

does this seem like a capacitor problem?? tbh i do want to save the screen but have just ordered a new 3d one just incase plus i have work to do! i cannot afford atm to spend much money lets say $100

i've gotta feeling inside that an invertor might be dodgy too, what are they like to replace???

Comment

does this seem like a capacitor problem??
                            It likely is. No monitor will work properly when you have at least 4 or 5 obviously bloated capacitors.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

just want to ask....

does this seem like a capacitor problem?? tbh i do want to save the screen but have just ordered a new 3d one just incase plus i have work to do! i cannot afford atm to spend much money lets say $100

i've gotta feeling inside that an invertor might be dodgy too, what are they like to replace???
                              You definitely have several bulged caps in the the power supply. Therefore, replacing all the caps except for the large 450v one would be advisible and a step in the right direction. As for the inverter, can you please post a photo of the entire inverter?

Comment

ok local leccy store didnt have any of the good brands mentioned, so i will go get some mail orders

Comment

here is what i am replacing with

please advise if i made a mistake

to replace the 680uF 35v : http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/7037311/ or http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/7037560/

680uF 25v: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/7258969/

1000uF 10v: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/7037478/

220uF 25v: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/1918277/

looking at the lifetime and going for the maximum

all good?

Comment

The "lifetime" is the maximum amount of time the capacitor can stay in spec while running at its max temperature. Getting the max lifetime will make no difference, as it wont be running at 105c permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdaydavies View Post
                                      The "lifetime" is the maximum amount of time the capacitor can stay in spec while running at its max temperature. Getting the max lifetime will make no difference, as it wont be running at 105c permanently.
                                      good because my screen has a habit of staying on for long periods

i could not see any sort of ECR rating which i read on here is important for quality too
                                      Last edited by majorlee; 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I have been re reading your thread - Those caps should be ok as long as you have checked
                                        that they will fit size wise.
                                        What is bothering me is that you have said that the screen is on all the time. This along with the flickering and the half dull does make me wonder if the inverter transformer or the ccfls are giving up. The bulging /leaking caps are obviously a problem but I am wondering if you should be checking the ccfls before ordering otherwise you are going to mighty disappointed if they dont fix it. - Read this https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419 from post19.
                                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                        X