X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 32PFL5322D/37 power supply repair

Troubleshooting steps I'm following: PDF page 35

3U22 resistor: page 52, grid A-4.

7U03 FET: page 52, grid C-6 and B-6 (looks like they split the pin outs for readability)

Pins I'm reading for voltage on from power supply: page 53, A-1

Comment

It'll be later today before I can look at it.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Take as much time as you need, I'm just thankful for the help! Besides, it will give me time to get back to my real job...

Comment

Any insights? I've been poring over this manual, and no seeing what could be causing the 1v2 to not come on.

Comment

Originally posted by rpgruss View Post
            Any insights? I've been poring over this manual, and no seeing what could be causing the 1v2 to not come on.
            Not yet, sorry. I've been up to my knees in gardening and landscaping. OK, yesterday afternoon I watched the Super Bowl. But I did feel a little guilty about neglecting this.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Not to worry, this is strictly volunteer work

Anyway, I went over it *again* at lunch, and after much reading, I found points on the board where I can read 1v2 and 2v5. I had no luck finding a 3v3 on the top side of the board, so I skipped over that. And I found it looks like 1v2 and 2v5 come up momentarily then disappear. I say looks because I just have a multimeter, and according to the service manual those voltages only stay on for 100ms. I see the numbers on the meter display jump up then back to 0. Following the manual, I found a section that might be relevant:

Originally posted by The Manual page 35
              Symptom: +1V2 OK, but +2V5 and +3V3 present for about 100 ms.

Cause: The SUPPLY-FAULT line stays "low" even though the +3V3 and +1V2 is available. The Stand-by Processor is detecting that and switches all supply voltages "OFF".

1. Check the drop voltage across resistor 3U22 (this could be too high)
              2. Check if the +1V2 or +3V3 are higher than their normal values. This can be due to defective DC feedback of the respective DC/DC converter (3U18 or 3UA7).
              I checked the resistance on resistor 3U22, it is dead on 100 ohms as it is supposed to be. But when I checked 3U18 and 3UA7, I found they varied. 3U18 is supposed to be 220 ohms with 5%, it measured 197 ohms. More concerning was 3UA7, which is supposed to be 1 kilo ohm with 1% tolerance, and it measured 782 ohms. Could this be the source of my problems?

Comment

No. Most likely you have other parts in parallel affecting your readings. If you'd pull the 1k resistor out it'll measure very close to 1k. When they fail, resistors go UP in resistance not down. And by a significant amount like an order of magnitude higher.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I've a few ideas. One is to bypass some circuits long enough to get some readings.

The first is the PS_ON signal on 1J02, pin 11. By forcing that on you can keep the 12V supply on long enough to do some troubleshooting. I have not traced that to it's source, it appears it goes low to turn the main supply on. I would suggest cutting the line between the small signal board and the power supply.

The second is the 1V2 enable line. Note that this is an active low signal. By temporarily shorting across 3U04, the 22 K resistor on the base of 7U05-2 you can override the control signal from the standby processor. There is no danger of damaging the output of the standby processor because 3U03 and 3U19 provide 32K of resistance. I WOULD suggest doing this only for a few seconds at a time - just long enough to get a reading.

The lack of 3.3 volts may not be significant - the standby processor does not turn it on until 1.2 volts is up.

PlainBill
                  Last edited by PlainBill; 02-07-2012, 01:43 AM.

Comment

I tried to follow your instructions, but after I was having problems hanging onto my probes and slipping all over the place, I was inspired to check ebay. I snagged a new main board advertised as working pulled from a smashed screen, so I bought it. Installed it, and same error, blinking 8 times. No bad fuses or shorted FETs either. So either two main boards have managed to fail in the same way, or I have a fault in the power supply.

I've heard of people turning on power supplies by running a resistor between two pins, 4/5 to pin 11 maybe? I'm going to check over the schematic before doing anything, but just wanted to get opinions.

Comment

I tried to follow your instructions, but after I was having problems hanging onto my probes and slipping all over the place, I was inspired to check ebay. I snagged a new main board advertised as working pulled from a smashed screen, so I bought it. Installed it, and same error, blinking 8 times. No bad fuses or shorted FETs either. So either two main boards have managed to fail in the same way, or I have a fault in the power supply.

I've heard of people turning on power supplies by running a resistor between two pins, 4/5 to pin 11 maybe? I'm going to check over the schematic before doing anything, but just wanted to get opinions.
                      You can turn on a power supply while the main board is disconnected by connecting a 3.3K resistor from PS_ON to 5VSBY (or whatever labels are used on this set). That gives time for troubleshooting.

PlainBill

Comment

Minor breakthrough! I put a 3.3k ohm resistor between ground and pin 11, and the power supply came to life. I started measuring voltages, the pins 1 and 2 (12-16v and -12-16v) were at 13.5 and -13.5 respectively, which looks to be in range. However, pins 9-10 which are 12v are only reading 8.5v. I think this is the problem.

I started backtracing the circuit, but came to a dead end under the RF shield/heatsink. Any ideas on where to look?

Comment

Fiddled with the power board some more tonight. Currently the 12v supply is running at 9v. I am suspecting it's temperature specific as it is about 10-15 degrees warmer in here than it has been before. In fact, the voltage was close enough I got a red light for 1/2 second on the main board before it shut down.

Is it possible that a capacitor has failed without any signs? I don't have an ESR meter to know for sure. No caps are bulging, and they are all Rubycon YXG series which appears to be a good brand. Would it be a waste of $$$ to put in new ones?

Comment

However, pins 9-10 which are 12v are only reading 8.5v. I think this is the problem.
                            I would start with the 3 pin diodes that are mounted on the heatsink and see which one(s) are the 12V diodes. The middle pin should be output pin.

PS. It would help if we knew which connector you are measuring. It is not obvious to me if it is X520, X531, or X200.
                            Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-20-2012, 11:08 PM.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Is it possible that a capacitor has failed without any signs? No caps are bulging, and they are all Rubycon YXG series which appears to be a good brand.
                              Rubycon makes good caps and let's give them a "pass" for now, but keep in mind they could be bad.
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm measuring on connector X200, it is the only one that is present in the manual. The cable for X531 connects directly to the inverter board, and X520 is not used. I think the pinout diagram for X200 was posted earlier in the thread, if need be I can repost it as an attachment but here it is in text form, straight from the service manual:

(starting closest to the edge)
                                Pin 1: -12-16V-NF (reads -13.5v when powered on, 0v otherwise)
                                Pin 2: +12-16V-NF (reads +13.5v when powered on, 0v otherwise)
                                Pin 3: GND-D (0v all the time)
                                Pin 4: +5v2-STBY (reads 5.02v anytime it's plugged in)
                                Pin 5: +5v2-STBY (same as pin 4)
                                Pin 6: Ground
                                Pin 7: Ground
                                Pin 8: Ground
                                Pin 9: +12VS (was reading 8.5v a few days ago, now reading 9v, when powered on, 0v otherwise)
                                Pin 10: +12Vs (same as pin 9)
                                Pin 11: STANDBY (5.02v when plugged in. Pulling this pin low with a 3.3k ohm resistor to ground turns the power supply on)
                                Pin 12: BACKLIGHT-CNTRL-OUT
                                Pin 13: LAMP-ON-OUT

I checked the two diodes on the heatsink next to X531, both regulators are putting out a solid 18.5v on the middle pin when power is turned on. I found the datasheet which confirms your theory that the middle pin is the output pin. The other two diodes on their own heat sinks D223 and D220 are 2 pin diodes.

Comment

I think the pinout diagram for X200 was posted earlier in the thread,
                                  I barely remember what I had for dinner last night nevermind a thread that started almost 1 month ago.

(starting closest to the edge)
                                  Pin 9: +12VS (was reading 8.5v a few days ago, now reading 9v, when powered on, 0v otherwise)
                                  Pin 10: +12Vs (same as pin 9)

The other two diodes on their own heat sinks D223 and D220 are 2 pin diodes.
                                  What is the voltage on either side of D223 and D220 with respect to ground? You should have 4 readings total.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    I barely remember what I had for dinner last night nevermind a thread that started almost 1 month ago.
                                    Haha, I hear you there!

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    What is the voltage on either side of D223 and D220 with respect to ground? You should have 4 readings total.
                                    D223 Anode: 0v
                                    D223 Cathode: 5.14v

D220 Anode: 0v
                                    D220 Cathode: 5.14v

I repeated the measurements with my turn on resistor in place and removed, and both times had the same result.

Comment

No caps are bulging, and they are all Rubycon YXG series which appears to be a good brand.
                                      Try measuring the DC voltage across each Rubycon cap around the X200 area to see if 12V is there or 9V.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The 3 caps near the X200 connector all had 5.14v on one side and 0v on the other. I did find two caps that fit the bill. One is under the heatsink and the other next to it. The one outside the heatsink is C618, can't read the one under the heatsink.

C618 - 8.87v
                                        c??? - 9.07v

Both are 470uf at 25v.

As for the remaining 4 caps, other 2 under the heatsink had 18.5v, one had -13.5v and one had 13.5v.

Comment

I did find two caps that fit the bill. One is under the heatsink and the other next to it. The one outside the heatsink is C618, can't read the one under the heatsink.

C618 - 8.87v
                                          c??? - 9.07v

Both are 470uf at 25v.
                                          Okay, what components are around these two caps that have the same voltage? Put your black probe on a ground screw and use your red to find the 9.0V.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X