No picture or sound, tv turns on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No picture or sound, tv turns on?

I have a LG 37lb1da that turns on, but it shows no picture or makes any sound. When turning on the tv the [power button goes from blinking orange to solid white and stays on. the tv stays on and the lights behind the tv light up and the picture is blackish like the tv is about to show a picture but never does. I took the tv apart and i found 1 bulging 16v 1000uf on the power board but nothing else. I'm wondering if that bulging cap would be causing all this? Thanks in advance.

P.S sorry for no pics.

Re: No picture or sound, tv turns on?

The cap could certainly cause this problem, I have a feeling the chassis is similar to 37LC2D which I repaired with the same failing cap causing lots of other problems. I still had a picture, but the sound was intemittent, and the TV would not turn on from the remote or side buttons - only when plugged in. It could also be a t-con fuse, but try the cap first. (Don't use Radioshack or Fry's caps, whatever you do.)
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

I ordered these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/271078054083...84.m1439.l2649

Hopefully thats the right part and it'll fix my problem.

Comment

They are Nichicon, good caps. Hope they are genuine - lots of fakes coming out of China.

One thing I forgot to ask was did the TV suddenly die one day or just start taking longer and longer to show a picture before not showing one at all?
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I'm not sure...got the tv from my gfs mom which was passed down from her dad. I hope they aint fakes either...the buyer has couple thousand postive reviews so..we'll see.

Comment

Is the T-Con fuse the fuse on the power board that you can take out and replace? Or is it something i need to replace and solder? Thanks again.

Comment

It's on the T-con board, which is the board under the metal shield at the top of the LCD panel. It is something you need to desolder to replace.

Comment

Ok, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by general-yeargan View Post
                  I hope they aint fakes either...the buyer has couple thousand postive reviews so..we'll see.
                  Most people who buy capacitors off ebay don't have the expertise to tell real from fakes and incorrectly give positive feedback.

When the capacitors fail 6 to 18 months later, they have no way of going back to ebay to give negative feedback or simply don't bother.

Since you live in the USA, you have access to many reputable suppliers like digikey, mouser, badcaps store, etc and are guaranteed to get real caps.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Well i finally got my tv working! It was the cap after all! Thanks for the advice

Comment

I have the same problem with my LG LCD tv, but there aren't any bulging caps. Any suggestions on how where to get started troubleshooting? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X