Stupid LVDS ribbon cable!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid LVDS ribbon cable!

Had a Soyo Topaz LC in with some picture issues 2 days ago. The picture would start blacking out from the bottom up. Lately, it wouldn't work at all.

Found one bad cap, replaced, working good. Gave it back. Owner called me today to tell me that the same issues have started again, so it's now here for me to take another look at.

The picture issue had actually nothing to do with the bad cap - it's the Tcon. Flexing the sides of the panel stops the issues - more cold joints caused by RoHs solder and too high operating temps... I figured it's the Tcon since it's the thinnest board, also sometimes it shows artifacts over the picture, little lines and dots flickering, and that's the only board that can cause it.

Unplugged the Tcon, removed it, and touched up the soldering on the vregs, CPU and RAM. The LVDS cable going from the logic board to the Tcon looked like it'd been tampered with before. Not good. Plugged in again and i got a stable picture but with colored snow over it like dithering - dirty LVDS cable. Cleaned it... and all i get is bars. 3 bad wires.

Now if you have any idea where i could get a 30-pin, 31mm wide, 1mm pitch, 24cm long AWM 20624 type ribbon cable, let me know. Oh, and they decided to hot glue it to the connector on the logic board side. Fortunately my hot air station made short work of that.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Stupid LVDS ribbon cable!

Maybe you could do budm's hack:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22238
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Actually, that's exactly what i've been thinking of. I still have some floppy drive cables i've got no use for.
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Floppy/IDE ribbons were too thick so i bought some more wrapping wire and hacked it together.

Still no joy, looks like the Tcon's shot. Owner doesn't want to wait 1 week the shipping would take from Australia (couldn't find it any closer). I think i'll buy it off him, order the Tcon, get it fixed and sell for profit.

Comment

Couldn't agree with the owner on the price so i gave it back at that time... Today he messaged me and asked me if i want to pay him $43 for it. I said yes.

I'll be ordering the Tcon tomorrow.

Comment

How big is it? $43 is a lot. I guess LCD prices are high in Romania.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

24", 1920x1200.

Comment

OK, that's worth $43!! Very nice! Does it have a Samsung or AUO display panel, or a Chi-Mei/Chungwha?

Comment

Both the panel and the Tcon are AUO, it's a PVA panel IIRC. Got pretty good angles.

Comment

I have just noticed that you are from Romania.
                    I used to live in Cluj up until 1996. I did my military service in Bucharest(end of number 9 "tramvai", regimentul de tancuri) and Roman.
                    Salut

Comment

AUO make decent panels, not bad. Samsung are top, but I did see a listing that put AUO just second behind them. (Chi-Mei and Chungwha were at the bottom.)

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the Vizio Tv VW46L that I'm working on,has a bad panel(tab).

Comment

Yeah, so do Samsung panels. Both suck for reliability -- make what you want from that (perhaps by design or just by being cheap.) However, the picture, viewing angle and response time are really good. Case in point my recapped 24" Iiyama uses a crappy Chi-Mei panel. In order to get the fast "2ms" claim updating it overdrives the pixels. Result is you get a white shadow following anything black. And vice versa. It looks awful for motion. (Still looking out for a Samsung 244T or similar.)

Comment

I thought i'd wait on it a bit. And it seems i made a smart decision - guess what: Got an IM today and he's willing to give it to me for $28. Heck, the Tcon is going to cost me more than that... I'm taking it home tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                            X