Samsung 50 Inch Sound Ok No Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 50 Inch Sound Ok No Screen

Here is what I have. Samsung PN50 A400C2d Plasma set. Plug it in and it will cycle and click over and over. Off/on button has no effect. Removed X board plug no change. Replaced X plug, Removed Y Board plug and Power Button and remote will power on the set with jingle and turn off the set also with jingle. Audio is there and the logic board has a heartbeat led.

Va and Vs are available at plug going to Y Sus. Va is 63 (panel 56) and VS is 230 (panel 208) I think these are high because Y sus is not connected.

So I am assuming I have a shorted YSus board or buffer board which are one and the same on this set.
    I read elsewhere on the forum that in a similar case several FET's on the heat sinks were shorted so thought I would start there. No obvious cap problems.. or visible damage to board.

Am I on the right path?
    Last edited by Wingryder; 11-22-2015, 04:26 PM.

Re: Samsung 50 Inch Sound Ok No Screen

does the panel prime, can you see any light at all on the screen when you try and start it in a darkened environment?

Comment

awyatt2
      No light at all on panel. With the y sus board connected it just keeps cycling no jingle.
      Disconnected it powers right up with jingle but no light either way.

Comment

I removed the board and checked for visible damage. Nothing seen. Then I put the board back in and only hooked up the power connector. Same result.. Power cycling.
        My limited skills are now looking for a short.
        Thought I found it with a 0022uf cap that read dead short in circuit.. but ok out.
        suggestions?

Comment

Turn your vs and va down to match the sticker

Comment

plug your y board in but unplug buffer board/s this will prove y board or buffer board/s

inspect buffer chips for holes or marks

Comment

thanks Comptek for your help. However in this case.. Buffer boards are built into the Y sustain. Did not find any shorts on the buffer test.. but still have not ruled it out.

Hamie.. I will try turning down Vs and Va. I have tried measuring with everything connected and I get nothing. Could be my cheapo meter is just too slow. Maybe if turned down.. it will stay on long enough to test.

How do I tell if the FET's are shorted ?

Comment

There are 13 FETs on the heat sinks. I show 500 ohms drain to source on two of them and direct short on five others. That just can't be right.

Comment

Ok small headway.. It seems the VS line is shorted to ground. Will trace it out tomorrow without the turkey blues and see what is killing it.

Comment

Working...
                  X