NLS Data Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NLS Data Missing

There was a power outage. Win Server 08 installed on a 40G Seagate Drive.
    Won't boot. WHY???

First try turning it on after outage: SYSTEM DISK NOT FOUND PRESS ENTER TO REBOOT
    2nd try: windows started loading like normal then BSOD (something about video driver initialization)
    3rd try: NLS Data Missing...

Bad drive?

Re: NLS Data Missing

Boot into the recovery mode and run Chkdsk /F on the drive. If you do a sector-by-sector scan, it will tell you if the drive is failing.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I can't boot into Safe Mode.

And my fucking SeaTools CD doesn't seem to work. Man, this is frustrating!

Comment

Bad day, Shovey?
        System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Pretty much, lol

Comment

You sorted your probs yet?
            System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

I replaced the drive and did a clean install of Windows Server 2008. So far so good I haven't tried to get the data from the other two drives in the server yet tho...

Comment

is it sata or ide?

did you replace ide cable? I've had cables do that.

Comment

Is this your 'dodgy' 40GB Seagate drive?
                  Use MHDD to check the SMART attributes - it's probably a pending sector, so just do a scan with REMAP set to on.

Comment

It's not the known bad one... even though yes it's a 40GB Seagate.
                    Thing is, I know I had a few bad Seagate drives around, except I forgot to mark them and over time they must have ended up in the good drive pile... this could be one of those. I'm going to scan this one when I get a chance...

Comment

Working...
                    X