Xeon Engineering Samples - fan monitoring/control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xeon Engineering Samples - fan monitoring/control

Does anyone have experience of using Speedfan with a HP setup (limited access/locked BIOS etc.)?
    I've just replaced the original E5405 with a Xeon Quad E5440, Intel Confidential, Q3HE ES.
    Now the CPU fan runs at full speed and theres no way to control it in BIOS. I have read that ES CPU's are internally coded to run at full speed but then the next poster dismissed this as untrue, so I'm clueless at the mo. I've another one of these Xeons to install once the heatsink/fan arrives so the noise with 2 fans running flat out will drive me nuts - it's bad enough now with one.

I've installed Speedfan v4.44 and read a few tutorials but my displayed properties are different to those in the tutorials and I'm having no luck whatsover with this bloody fan. Even if someone tells me it definitely can't be done at least I will know where I'm at.

Let me know if any further info is required.
    System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Re: Xeon Engineering Samples - fan monitoring/control

So can anyone help me out here? Someone with a HP setup and proprietary BIOS, i.e. very limited access. Also using Speedfan.
    Since my first post I've managed to get into Speedfan and gain some control over the CPU fan but could still do with any helpful info you can give.
    System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Try something like this?
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811995074
      When you're not using the computer much put the knobs on low and when you're rendering/gaming/whatever turn 'em up

Comment

I must ask how you acquired not one but two engineering samples of Xeons...

Comment

not unusual to come across them in the line of work i am in.folks i deal with integrate them in their custom systems and want to test thoroughly before committing to a huge parts order they wont be able to return.and of course the e.s. parts dont go into production units.i just put a bug in their ear that i have a use for them at the end of the design phase.not unusual to get dozens of them.they work fine for me and at end of life when they become old news the chip collector guys want them.still have a few es p!!! slot 1 here.
          Originally posted by b700029 View Post

Comment

ERM... hard cash?

@ Shovey - thanks, but thats not really the way I want to go, if I can manage to get all my fans set up right in Speedfan their operation will be automatic so no messing about deciding if they need manually turning up or not.

I have got somewhere with Speedfan but it's gona take a lot more experimentation with various settings to get the system running well.

Comment

I've got a similar problem. My torrent box/file server is a SFF Compaq Deskpro EN with a 700Mhz s370 Pentium 3. It is cooled by the fan in the PSU, which is speed-controlled by the motherboard.

I have a 1Ghz Pentium 3. If I put it in there the computer runs fine, but the fan runs full tilt and it's fucking loud.

Let me know if you find a solution.

Comment

a lot of xeons are used in multi-cpu setups, thus, to evaluate the dual-cpu performance, you need 2 chips.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yep, workstations and servers often have dual CPU mobos - I've had two Xeons for a fortnight now, only one installed until my new heatsink/fan arrives for the second one.

@ b700029 your question seemed a bit odd, are you a member of the Intel Police?

Comment

Well I've spent quite a bit of time since first installing Speedfan and I'm getting closer with my fans setup. TBH I haven't found it the easiest of tasks, but I think that a lot of it is to do with the locked HP BIOS. Anyway I now have more control over some of the fans (some simply don't show up in Speedfan), the main control for me being the CPU fan - no more continual 'jet-engine' whilst the workstation was turned on. It's now a case of monitoring the relevant temps/fans that I do have control over and fettling each one over time - hopefully not too much time...
                    So far it's been a bit of a ballache but the fan noise difference has made it worthwhile. I reckon Speedfan would be even more beneficial on a board with full access to the BIOS.

@ wlg - if you haven't already installed Speedfan then you should definitely give it a try. Make sure you read the included guide, like an idiot I went a couple of days scratching my head and asking advice before realising there even was a guide - tit!
                    If you need any further help just let me know, although remember I'm no expert

Comment

Finally got SpeedFan running my fans almost how I want them, just some fine tuning to do and then I will be happy with the setup . It's been a struggle as the SpeedFan labels for Temps, Fans, Speeds etc. didn't actually correspond to the particular items it was suggesting. Also had a major prob trying to get the program to autorun at startup but eventually sorted that last night.

Comment

Working...
                      X