Missing Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Component

Hello, I am currently fixing a laptop that was bashed against a wall repeatedly. I fairly sure I have the laptop working now, but I noticed it was missing a component.
    The missing component is is near the HDMI port. There are 3 still there. I have yet to actually test the HDMI port. Anyone know what this is or how I can find a replacement?

I have a fairly good junk pile I can salvage from.

Thank you

Laptop info;
    Toshiba Satellite L870
    Model: PSKFLC-00N007

Pictures are on google drive, main one ends in -c
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Vk&usp=sharing
    Last edited by doread; 08-31-2014, 04:08 PM.

Re: Missing Component

Update;
    HDMI port did not work. I pulled a component from another older toshiba laptop and it is working now. (same place, in front of HDMI port)

My best guess is that it is a SMD Inductor since I can see copper wire. The component I replaced it with does look a little different.

Should it be OK? I am giving it to a relative, so I can service it later down the road if something happens.

Thank you!

Comment

Please post pictures directly to this site instead of linking to another.

Comment

well inductures are read on Henrys , and usually its good to use the correct values , but if you can order the right part , order it , if don't well warn your client about risks and leave him choose the option

Comment

Sorry, I can't seem to post attachments. What are the risks of using the wrong values?

edit; managed to get 2 attachments uploaded.

I will put the laptop together and stress test it today. See if it keeps working after hours of HDMI use. I will also use my spare TV to be safe.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by doread; 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

yes indeed make some test , dont forget that inductor , induce corrent . so chek also if the component itself get to much hot . and stress well the port .

Comment

I tested the port and no issues, it worked great for hours. My new issue is that the second/top ram slot doesn't seem to work.

I thought it was working before I started the work. I will take it apart again later and see if there is anything obvious.

Thanks for your help

Comment

chek with one ram stick , try in both sockets and see if both work , could be bad ram , or maybe bad mem controler

Comment

I tried all combinations, only the bottom dimm works. I put a 8GB stick in the working slot and it has been working so far.

Assuming it continues working, I am not going to bother trying to fix it.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X