Bad caps - Ever see like these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps - Ever see like these?

This HP Slimline is a freebie that I opened to see what was wrong. Beyond the memory having been changed, Dead Hard drive, Missing Optical drive I found these.

I have no idea what happened to them, I believe the large one is a Panasonic from the funny T on top and the small one is a Rubycon.

Cheers
    Attached Files

Re: Bad caps - Ever see like these?

That's called cooked.

The PCB under that heatsink behind them got so hot it blackened too.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

What puzzled me was that the top of the 820uf looked squashed down.

Oh well. I'll have to put a light on the board since I never noticed it looked like it had got hot under the heatsink, In fact I have it running right now and the heatsink is fairly warm but not super hot.

Cheers
      RT

Comment

Well when it gets really hot and leaks past the seal and then cools down and doesn't leak in.... you see.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

If you have a bad application of heat-sink grease [or similar] under that heat-sink the heat isn't going to get to the heat-sink to be dissipated [or warm the heat-sink], yet the chip under it can get hot as Hades.

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

I don't see where the PCB had darkened either. It looks like someone may have tried to reflow the chip with a heatgun and didn't try to make sure nothing else got cooked. Everything around the chip with no heatsink looks melted.

Also, what is the white stuff that is smeared all over the board?

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
              I don't see where the PCB had darkened either.
              Shown

It looks like someone may have tried to reflow the chip with a heatgun and didn't try to make sure nothing else got cooked. Everything around the chip with no heatsink looks melted.
              That would do it too although there is no mention of what chipset it is.

Presumably the heat-sink compound that should be under the heat-sink.

Attached Files

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

I thought those were shadows.

Comment

AMD HP slimlines are pretty much ALWAYS Nvidia 6 series, which explains why they tried to reflow the chip. I have three dead slimlines, two nvidia and one intel all with bad nvidia chips (well bad balling due to overheating)

at least you get an am2 chip, those slimlines are usually dual core
                  Last edited by Uranium-235; 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM.
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I thought those were shadows.
                    Maybe.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      two nvidia and one intel all with bad nvidia chips
                      ???

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

The left side doesn't match the right.

Left
                        two nvidia and one intel
                        Chipsets?
                        CPUs?

Right
                        all with bad nvidia chips

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

HP slimlines come in AMD and intel processors. No matter which one, they usually have an nvidia chipset

at least ones from this era does

they're still making new slimlines models, not sure if they still use nvidia chips in them, hopefully not

Comment

seeee

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883107992

Comment

two amd/nvidia 6 boards I have. both messed up BGA. I've already taken several polys off them for re-use =)
                              Attached Files

Comment

I know that.
                                Read what you wrote again.

Either you have the only nVidia processors I ever heard of or a board with a hybrid Intel/nVidia chipset.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

I ment amd bleh

Comment

I don't see where the PCB had darkened either. It looks like someone may have tried to reflow the chip with a heatgun and didn't try to make sure nothing else got cooked. Everything around the chip with no heatsink looks melted.

I got it with the white stuff on the south-bridge chip, My guess is southbridge chip anyway. It feels like heat-sink compound. I do not see a way to mount a heat-sink and that chip runs slightly warm. I may pull the north-bridge heatsink and redo it. However replacing the dead hard drive, Loading Vista and all drivers it appears that the Ethernet port is unop.

The Northbridge heatsink gets hot but not super hot. I have another of these beauties where the northbridge got so hot you'd burn your fingers on it. and the PC would shut down. I stuck a small fan on that one and it stays on, the heatsink feels cool however the CPU fan periodically races. I suspect that voltages are off.
                                    \
                                    Now that I have two of them I can swap power supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                      Well when it gets really hot and leaks past the seal and then cools down and doesn't leak in.... you see.
                                      Ah-Ha! That could explain it, Thanks

I don't know what may have happened to it previously. I was curious about the heatsink compound on the one chip

At worst I now have AM2 socket processors. One 4000+X2 and a 5400 X2
                                      for future use.

OTOH if I can get them working........

Comment

nice. you can get a lot of good motherboards to take those chips

Comment

Working...
                                        X