ASUS G50V - Fried? Yeah, probably.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS G50V - Fried? Yeah, probably.

I'll look up some equivalents for you tomorrow.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Friend came by and dropped off a piece of plastic that was on the motherboard before we started working on it.

http://imgur.com/pHTff.jpg

Fun stuff. Looks like they were both heated to hell and back.

Think that it's just that one / both were bad? I'm starting to wonder if that's the root of it all or not.
      Last edited by Flababa; 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I see a 5 pack for $15 out of Hong Kong. $3 seems fair when new from Arrow were almost $1 in small quantities. I looked through my collection of laptop boards and found several of the above MOSFETS including a few SI4392.
        sig files are for morons

Comment

The SI4392 on ebay have a different number set on the top than the ones installed on my motherboard. Honestly I don't know the difference, otherwise I'd make a decision about that now.

The 8170's are $15 for two, so I can grab those I guess. I'm trying to get this out of the way quick-like, so was avoiding Hong Kong. I've had this thing laying around too long.

Guess I was just hoping for a miracle. lol

Comment

Finally got the parts and the time.

Installed the new parts and bam, laptop will now POST.

Problem is, there's still a bunch of missing screws from the previous work done to it. Now I have to track those down.

Comment

i have this same board and replaced both mofets and is kicking the power supply off on overlode i can plug a fan in to supply and it works so i know its good and i can pull 4 legs off 1 side of the mofet (dont mater witch one or side) and it wont set off power supply so im thinking im not far dose any one have any idia were i can go from here
              Last edited by beastman2008; 12-05-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                I'll look up some equivalents for you tomorrow.
                you seem to be good in this department would you please look at my post im trying to fix this laptop for my woman for x-max
                please and thank you

Comment

So, this seems to be a common issue with this model laptop.
                  I too have the power supply in protect mode when plugging it in issue.
                  On mine though, nothing is clearly burned.
                  Both of the mosfets on mine are TPC8107s that are on the underside of the board by the power jack.
                  One is just 'upside down' from the other.
                  I'm sure you can see in the OPs pics.
                  Wondering if replacing both of the TPC8107s there would fix the problem, or if I'd also need to find the Si4392 and replace it.
                  I know it's an old thread, but if people having this issue see this and we figure it out, it would seem to help many folks.

Comment

I ordered a 5 pack of the TPC8107s I replaced all 3 of them on the board. It still goes into protect mode. I've visually inspected the whole board and I see nothing burned or cracked. The video card on this unit did not fail as I put it in another unit and it works fine. Only think I can think of is maybe a BGA failure on the north or southbridge. It doesn't work on a charged battery either. No lights, no nothing. Just protect mode on the PS which works fine on the other unit. Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                    X