42" rca 42pa30rq no picture but sounds working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" rca 42pa30rq no picture but sounds working

hello, I have this same model RCA and it has sound and no picture and when I turn it on it clicks then clicks a bunch of times and there's no picture just like sfdskins, I dont know anything about televisions but upon opening the back of the tv I found a small rectangular blue box which is clearly burnt, is replacing the part worth it since something clearly burnt it up and will probably burn the new one, and my lack of knowledge on the subject makes me ask if buying the part is worth it, any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by OtterBob View Post
      hello, I have this same model RCA and it has sound and no picture and when I turn it on it clicks then clicks a bunch of times and there's no picture just like sfdskins, I dont know anything about televisions but upon opening the back of the tv I found a small rectangular blue box which is clearly burnt, is replacing the part worth it since something clearly burnt it up and will probably burn the new one, and my lack of knowledge on the subject makes me ask if buying the part is worth it, any thoughts?
      On which board is the burned component located? Please post a pic.
      LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

UPDATE: The guys from paylesscomponents kindly sent me out new boards and that was it. My tv is working great. Using my Digital Meter and comparing all boards i found that the first X board and Y board they sent out had defective mosfet ic's. Thank you CAPKID for trying to help.

Comment

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue the same model RCA. First, this forum is already an amazing resource as it given me direction on testing whatever has failed in the TV to replace it. Times are tough right now and I'd rather fix this than buy new, so thank you for that.

Anyway, no picture but have sound. Relays click on and off 3 times after powering the set on. Checked components and there are no burn marks or clearly apparent failed components. The relays do not click 3 times when the Y-main power is disconnected. However, this suggestion gave me pause:

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          Unplug Y-main and check Vs voltage; if it's stable around 190-210V, PSU is probably good.
          When I checked Vs voltage, on power on it will read 207vdc, but after a few seconds it drops to 0. Is that something to be concerned about? Should I still be looking at replacing just the Y-main or should I also be thinking about replacing the PSU?

Comment

I've got the same issue described above, in Aardvark's post.

Read through the forum postings while diagnosing the set, but had a wee bit o' confusion finding 207vDC and 54vDC, only realizing AFTER I'd ordered and replaced the Main control board, the power supply, and the X- & Y-mains that the new PS delivered both only for a short duration, if I didn't have my probe on the TPs upon plugging the unit in, I'd never see that those voltages quickly decay to nothing.

So...I'm four boards into ShopJimmy.com, who've been spectacular...but the only improvement I've got is a series of FIVE 'on-off' cycles upon plugging the unit in. The PS relay will click only once when I've got the X-main unplugged.

I did not see until late that I should've looked more closely at the X-buffer...but I'm at a loss how to test it, or how it may have affected the replacement boards.

Help?!

Thanks,
            John
            Detroit
            Last edited by Gannon; 03-29-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Is there anybody out there?!

I just looked at how this thread appears on the board...and it has a red flag.

I'm going to start a fresh thread. Sorry if I'm beyond protocol, as you can tell, I'm new here.

Cheers!
              Last edited by Gannon; 04-02-2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I have the same issue with no picture but i have sound. i have inspected everything and do not see any burnt components. Could this issue be one the Y main?

Comment

There are quite a few threads on these thin Samsung-based TVs (Samsung, Insignia, RCA). The power supplies rarely fail, and the Y-main or X-main (aka Y-Sus and Z-Sus) are usually at fault. Testing the components on the heat sinks for shorts is usually a good indicator of board health. Be sure you've checked both Y and X boards before making replacements. A bad Y can kill a good X and vice versa. I'd replace any buffers attached to a bad board, also. Component-level repair is NOT recommended.
                  Last edited by capkid; 04-28-2014, 10:51 AM.
                  LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Should The main logic control board have a green light that blinks when powering up and continues to blink? I have changed the x board y board and y buffer board and still have nothing. But after changing the y board it went from clicking 4 times to one when plugged in.

Comment

Originally posted by michajin View Post
                      Should The main logic control board have a green light that blinks when powering up and continues to blink? I have changed the x board y board and y buffer board and still have nothing. But after changing the y board it went from clicking 4 times to one when plugged in.
                      This TV also has the same boards. Relay clicks mentioned, 1 suggests Y buffer according to what's said.

Was yours definitely bad, maybe could swap. Chances of getting supplied dud boards seems fairly common unless you get them from reputable sources.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=36914&page=2

As for the logic board if the TV is running, it blinks about 1 / sec, If it's in protection I think 2 sec on, 4/5 sec off repeating,

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                        Unplug Y-main and check Vs voltage; if it's stable around 190-210V, PSU is probably good.
                        Tom, I've been trying to catch you. I can't get any voltage from my PSU on the VS terminals. Is that indicating a bad PSU?
                        I did disconnect the Y-Main
                        Last edited by Jimmy60; 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X