Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iiyama ProLite X486S dead - psu / inverter issue

Originally posted by kbs1 View Post
    Q209: if pin 1 is the one marked with a small dot, pin 2 is the opposite one, and pin 3 is the next one on the opposite side (in other words pin 3 is right next to pin 1), then that pin has -0.01V.

Please tell me if I can measure this with the backlight disconnected.
    Actually, pins 1,2,3 and 4 are all on the same side, with pin 1 as you correctly identified marked with a dot. The pin numbering scheme goes in a "u" pattern. Refer to the inverter schematic, page 30

Comment

Based on that two of them have 13.04V on pin 3 and the other two have 13.19V on pin 3. What to check next? F902 is OK.

EDIT: both of their outputs go to the big PT201 / PT202 [transformer?]. Maybe I should check that part to see if there is any voltage behind it. But I'm afraid that would be high because there are markers of high voltage all over that part of the board - will wait for instructions.
      Last edited by kbs1; 02-18-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

error - sorry
        Last edited by selldoor; 02-18-2012, 03:16 PM. Reason: error
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Probably don't want to test voltages on those transformers as their secondaries can put out in excess of 1000V, which will probably burn out your meter. Instead, with power off and your meter set to 2kohm, try measuring the resistance of each secondary (the side that outputs the high voltage to the ccfl's) for PT201/PT202. There should be no more than 3% difference between the two. If they check good, then you'll have to figure out a way to connect your power supply to the ccfls on your spare panel. If its lights your spare panel, then you either have a bad ccfl or bad ccfl wiring on your X486S.

Comment

492 and 493 ohm. Is there any way to check the CCFL's directly on the X486S? I read they can be measured somehow - is this always the case?

EDIT: I'll try to check the wiring first. It's only 4 wires - saw a recent LG thread on this forum that had broken CCFL wires.
            Last edited by kbs1; 02-18-2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

There's apost just gone up bbjunkie about no back light - smd fuse on back of board.
              could there be one on this board.
              also page 27 of the schematic has some circuitry switches on the back light if you can locate and check that.
              If it is the ccfls I think you at least get a flash from ones that are good and youd have to be unlucky for all of them to have gone.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Yeah. I have just disassembled the panel even more - bottom lamp looks completely OK, wires in excellent condition.

Also - the monitor died while I was away 5 minutes to get coffee, before that the backlight was perfectly bright, even so much bright that I had to use the monitor on 80% brightness. So I think the lamps will be OK. Also the monitor is 4 years old but had been used maybe 30 days at all (previous owner had problems with her pc all the time and was technically unskilled, so she almost did not use it). Therefore it is practically new.

Pictures of bottom CCFL attached.

Next I am going to test the circuits you mentioned.
                Attached Files

Comment

As far as the IC's go on page 27, I can't locate any of that on the power board (there are only 8 leg and one big 20 pin IC on the back side).

On the logic board, no luck either (only 16-leg and 8-leg present).

As far as the other circuits go, those are all "700" parts. There are only 200 and 900 parts on the power board (CN202, C206, R225, C920 etc).

EDIT: on page 27, there is CN701. It just might be CN901 on my logic board. My board is marked 715G1548-1. The reference in phillips service manual we are using is marked 715G1558-1-IO. So the boards are similar.

Should I be looking for the circuits on the logic board?

EDIT2: yep, it's definitely logic board main connector (from power board). The pinout (as far as GND goes) matches - tested for continuity.

EDIT 3: found out (per page 27) that the CN901 pin 2 is "BL ON". This pin goes straight by the marked red wire to pin 1 of CN102 on the power board - if it is BL_ON, it had 4V during testing (when I initially measured the connector). So this should be OK!

EDIT 4: tested many many fuses, diodes, transistors and resistors on the logic board. No problems found. Don't know what to do next.
                  Last edited by kbs1; 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

yeh _ im well outside my comfort zone - I have been lucky so far in getting away with
                    replacing caps. I had worked out that cn701=cn901 but not sure where that led us.
                    I cant see a picture of the back of your main board? unless ive missed it.
                    Here is a post on a different machine which might be relevant -regarding on off transistor controllers www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8598
                    There is loads of good information in your thread and if some of the more experienced members pick it up im sure they will come up with more suggestions for you.

It may still be a cap problem as none have been replaced.
                    Last edited by selldoor; 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I have taken out the logic board for the first time today - previously I have looked under it and there was nothing - only one rubber pad but no components. This turns out to be true - all components are on the front of the board. I have also checked all solder joints on the back now - seem fine. Pictures of the back side of the board attached.

I'd love if someone could came up with some new ideas on what to test. So far at this moment, I'm dry Regarding the capacitor possible problem, is there any way I can test them or do I have to try my luck? I'll go to the local store on monday to ask for low ESR caps and see if they have them.

I'll check the other thread you posted. Thank you all so far.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by kbs1; 02-18-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

According to https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8598 , I have tested all the small signalling transistors and other 3-legged small components (marked D...) for shorts - none found. I have also tested all diodes - one of them did give me a short circuit beep for a split second - then resistance started to grow. Is this normal? Do they need time to "start up"? The longer I "charged" the diode the longer it beeped when I reversed the multimeter leads - multimeter beeps and shows negative values on short circuit tester setting (ohms - is this possible?), which grow until eventually out of range when tested through one side - stops at ~700 when the diode is tested the opposite direction.

Affected diode is ZD904. No other diodes seem to display this behavior (they do not beep) - they are always ~650-700 ohms in one direction and out-of-range in another. The ZD904 is in the same range, so I'd say it's normal, it just takes it longer to get there (~5 seconds, of which the multimeter beeps for 1 second)
                        Last edited by kbs1; 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

There seems to be a lot of edits, contradictory statements, and mixed up test results.

So I suggest going back to the beginning and answering the following questions.

1) If you hookup a working computer with your favourite wallpaper and a known good VGA cable do you see

a) the wallpaper?
                          b) if yes, for how long?

2) What color is the power LED?

a) does it change color at any point?

3) Does the backlight come on?

a) if yes for how long?
                          b) if no, can you see your wallpaper in a very dark room or by shining a very bright flashlight at it from different angles?

Answering these simple questions above will direct you where to look for the problem.

PS. Making edits with material information is not recommended. Once I read a post, I usually don't go back and re-read it. If you edit a post for grammar, spelling, punctuation, then that is fine. If it is material information, I would prefer to see it in a new follow up post.
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-18-2012, 07:47 PM. Reason: punctuation
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello, did the tests:
                            1) wallpaper shows up, forever, visible only using flashlight

2) faint blue, should be strong blue (the led is so faint, that when the monitor is assembled, the led is invisible through plastic cover)
                            "a) does it change color at any point?"
                            - no, only when I disconnect the signal cable and monitor goes to standby, in that case it is strong orange (as it's supposed to be, visible through plastic when assembled)

3) no, at all, no flash, nothing

Editing material information: will not do that again What should I do next?
                            Last edited by kbs1; 02-19-2012, 06:58 AM.

Comment

3) no, at all, no flash, nothing
                              1) If there is no backlight at all, then I would suspect those mosfets you tested. Namely, Q204, Q208, Q209 and Q210.

2) I believe the correct datasheet based on the power supply that jetadm123 found at

according to page 55 is AM4512C.

3) With that, we find

See page 1 pin assignments. Use that as your guide to retest the mosfets. Set your DMM to 200 ohms. Measure the combinations below.

S1-G1
                              S1-D1
                              G1-D1

S2-G2
                              S2-D2
                              G2-D2

Report all the above for each mosfet.

PS. "1" on the left hand side IS a reading on the multimeter. It means out of range (in this scenario it means the reading is greater than 200 ohms). There is no such thing as "no reading".

4) What is the part number of IC201 (on the backside)?

5) On the backside, see if there is a fuse marked as F902.
                              Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-19-2012, 08:05 AM.
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Never mind about #5, I saw that you already tested it.
                                Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi, I have tested the mofsets and values were always out of range. I also tried to test things like "S2-G1" just to be sure, always out of range. So they seem good. Previously I have done this test, and the results were the same.

5) the number is
                                  SG6841SZ
                                  KA497280603Q

It is really hard to read, so just in case I got it wrong here is a photo of it (I had no chance to read it using bare eye or using magnifier ;-)
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Refer to
                                    http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...C/SG6841S.html

1) Use pin 1 (GND) for your black probe.

2) What is the DC voltage for pin 3?

3) What is the DC voltage for pin 7?

4) What ohms reading did you get for fuse F902?
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

CCFLs disconnected, everything else connected:

standby - 14.95V
                                      monitor on - 16.92V

standby - 12.04V
                                      monitor on - 14.07V

4) What ohms reading did you get for fuse F902?
                                      0 ohms, 0.5 to be exact

Comment

CCFLs disconnected, everything else connected:

standby - 14.95V
                                        monitor on - 16.92V

standby - 12.04V
                                        monitor on - 14.07V
                                        Can you retest with the ccfls connected? Also, measure pin 5.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello guys, thanks for the help, buf F901 had blown out.. blowing fuses in our entire home on the way out. I guess my hand must have slipped and connected pins 7-8 or 7-6 or something like that, causing an electrical short. Those IC901 contacts are so tiny, that it's really hard to control your hand like that ulness your are a surgeon

I have checked all the 8-leg Q's on the board, they are still OK, nothing else seems to have blown out (only the fuse smells bad & is blown). So give me a little time, I'm going to buy a new fuse right now, should be up & running this evening (in ~5 hours max).

Comment

Working...
                                          X