Samsung Syncmaster 2333 No image, power OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster 2333 No image, power OK

Hello all, I am new to this forum though not to electronics.

Samsung Syncmaster 2333 made in September 2009. If it sits by itself, with no input signal, I get alternating Digital and Analog input decals on the screen. As soon as I connect a known good signal, I see a white line for a second and screen goes gray. Backlight is alive, power on LED is on.
    Caps on the power supply are SAMXON in the inverter section and Lelon or the like in the Secondary side. No signs of bulging or venting. All power rails look happy and clean with a meter and scope. I see no ripple, pulsing or the likes. The digital board gets clean 5V and makes normal looking 3.3 and 1.8V. I see clock (14.3Mhz) on the main controller. I see data and clock wiggling on the SPI flash and EEPROM next to the controller, so I assume its booting alright. I also see VGA and SYNC signals on its pins. I just don't get any output. It appears capable of at least drawing the searching for input decal on the screen, so the LVDS section seems fine. If I disconnect inputs and hold menu button I get Test Passed message. Other menu buttons do not seem to do much. Power button works fine. I did test both DVI and VGA inputs with the same result

The chip does run a bit warm- I'd say 50C. Not finding anything else wrong with the system, I've swapped the controller. The soldering job is less than stellar- chips pins were a bit bent when I got it, but I am pretty sure everything is connected and there are no shorts. Or at least that's what a look under a microscope indicated. End result is the same, so that was obviously not an issue. Any pointers?
    Attached Files
    www.kuzyatech.com My blog about things I make, break and fix

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 2333 No image, power OK

Can we get a shot of the panel board (follow CN105 cable from the main board)? It is the board that sits right at the top of the lcd and may be underneath a metal shield.

PS. Those are excellent photos and I visit your blog and see your posts on eevblog.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-09-2012, 06:52 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The panel board? Here you go. I did not bother with whole board, just the main section. The rest is just driver flex connections

Thanks for the kind words- I started the blog when I realized I've been fixing and tearing apart lots of things that other may find useful. Pictures are taken with an odd camera- Olympus TG-1. Its' a rugged/water and drop resistant thing to go swimming/hiking etc with, but image stabilization and high sensitivity get me better results than a DSLR
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kuzyatech View Post
        The panel board?
        1) I circled a number of test points.

2) Can you post the voltages for those and check to see if U101 is regulating properly?

3) What is part number U201 on the panel board?
        Attached Files
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

VCCF1 is 4.78V
          The other points you've circled are GND and I2C CLK and DATA
          GND is around 0v. CLK and DATA are idle at 3.3v and I did not catch any traffic. U101 is fine 4.78V In 3.3V out.

The switcher to the right (U201). is generating +27, +5.6 and 9V and+12V as far as I can tell. There is a lot of audible noise from it with the cover removed. U201 is AAT1168B1

U102 Novatek NT71208 runs a bit warm.

Comment

The service manual for a Samsung 2333HD and 2333SW is

If you can get into the service menu, that may give you a clue. Otherwise, the pdf file does show some other hints for you to try.

I have noticed the main board in the pdf looks nothing like yours, but again you may get other ideas just be reading the service manual and looking at the schematics?
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I seem to be having a very similar problem. The only difference is that because I'm using it as a 2nd monitor, the blackout only occurs when I bring a certain menu or window up in that monitor. As soon as I close the menu or bring the window back, it reverts to normal almost immediately.

I have the exact monitor hardware with the exact manufacture date. Caps and other hardware look fine. I found this thread on here with also the same problem but seemed to be a dead end.
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...samsung+2333sw

Please try this for me. If at all possible, get into the monitor's menu and change your Color Tone or Color Effect to anything else other than the default. You only have to change one. Default is "Normal" (avoid "Cool also - "Warm" is the only working option) and "Off" respectively. For some reason, this prevents the problem from occurring.
              Last edited by Vew; 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I can't seem to get into the menu in the first place. if I hold menu on boot I get "Test Pass" message. No actual menu is ever shown- how is it supposed to behave?
                Also, found an Acer service manual (on their own servers oddly enough) created by Innolux that seems to include a universal schematic- most parts match. It even has comments like "Dell -install Rxxx, Benq, Samsung only etc"
                http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/Ma...L_20090714.pdf
                Last edited by kuzyatech; 09-11-2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I don't know if this will work with your model, but from the service manual, you can enter the "service mode" by pressing these keys in sequence:

power off-->info-->menu-->mute-->power on

I don't what you can do in the service mode, but it's worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by kuzyatech View Post
                    I can't seem to get into the menu in the first place. if I hold menu on boot I get "Test Pass" message. No actual menu is ever shown- how is it supposed to behave?
                    Also, found an Acer service manual (on their own servers oddly enough) created by Innolux that seems to include a universal schematic- most parts match. It even has comments like "Dell -install Rxxx, Benq, Samsung only etc"
                    http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/Ma...L_20090714.pdf
                    Let me play around with it a bit when I get home. Maybe I can just give you the sequence. Hopefully, that might work.

When you mention you see a white line, then black, does like fade the pixels? What mine did was as soon as it happened, the screen began to white out, then followed by blacking of the edges until it moved to the center of the screen. At some point in the middle, it would look like a negative of whatever was on the screen. All this was over the course of about 10 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                    X