Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM 6734_HBO: 2sec to black

Hi,

A friend brought me an IBM model number 6734_HBO (not ABO).

Background:
    I plug in the monitor and it turns on for 2 to 4 seconds then turns off.

I opened it up and found a 1000uf/10V bulging. Replaced cap with a new one 1000uf/25V. Put monitor back together and powered it up. Still the same thing.......2 to 4 seconds on and then off.

What i have done:
    1- replaced bulging cap. No change.

2-I checked ALL 4 lamps and they all seem to be ok. I used my home-made bulb checker.

3-Measured voltages at connector (see enclosed pic of connector):
    Pin1=>13v when off. When on ~14V and then when shuts down voltage goes to 12.6V
    Pin2=>13v when off. When on ~14V and then when shuts down voltage goes to 12.6V
    Pin3=>0V
    Pin4=>0V
    Pin5=>0V
    Pin6=>0V
    Pin7=>4.96V
    Pin8=>0.138V
    Pin9=>when off ....0V.........when on....2.72V.

Note: See connector pic.......i dont seem to measure the 3.3V.

Note: When making measurements at the connector i did by accident short pins 4 and 5 just for a second. It does not appear to have done any damage since i still get the same error.......2 to 4 seconds to black.

4-I checked fuse located in the inverter section......seems to be ok.....0.2ohms.

5-I worked on a similar monitor as shown below. But not exactly the same.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10055

Any ideas on where to start.
    Attached Files

Re: IBM 6734_HBO: 2sec to black

If there's one failed/bulged cap, then the rest are probably not far behind. I see that you have CapXon caps in your unit. Replace them all (except the 400v one) - it's common for CapXon to go bad in LCDs.

As for the 3.3v rail - can't say why it's not there. If you can get a picture that covers the whole underside of the PCB, that would be helpful.

Comment

Agreed. I find it a bit hard to trace the 3.3v rail without a whole underside picture.

If that one cap was bloated, you might want to check IC660 to see if it is okay since it is close proximity?

Originally posted by momaka
      As for the 3.3v rail - can't say why it's not there. If you can get a picture that covers the whole underside of the PCB, that would be helpful.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I am enclosing an "overall" pic of the back of the power-supply/inverter board.

I also measured the IC660:
        Note: MEasurements same with either black or red lead first/second.
        Pin1 to Pin2: Measured resistance was 9.9kOhm
        Pin1 to Pin3: Measured resistance was 0.4ohm
        Pin2 to Pin3: Measured resistance was 9.9kOhm
        Attached Files

Comment

I am unsure of your 3.3v problem either .But it sounds like you may be going into the current protection mode. I know you most likely checked it but is there a picture that you can see with flash light?
          Have you tried with three of your lcd lamps hooked up,Install a known good lamp into one of the connectors and then repeating down the line to see if you can see any difference?
          Al.
          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

When the lamps go out i can still see a faint picture. However, I did not look at this to make sure that the picture stays on for a long time. I just happened to notice that when the lamps went out i could still see a picture.

I checked all the lamps using a home made lamp tester.

Comment

Ok you know your bulbs are good.What I am suggesting checking the circutry of each of the ccfl connectors.I have found it is very hard to see whats happing thru the dark lcd.Try hooking your known good bulb up to each connector,See if it lights.If for only A second?
              Al.
              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I guess i dont understand. How is connecting a known good bulb doing anything if i have already verified the bulbs are "good". Sorry but i dont understand.

Comment

My mind and my fingers dont work very good together some times.In the other ibm thread you had made a test jig to test each circut on your inverter did you try that on this monitor?
                  Al.

Comment

Odd, I can't see how pin 5 and 6 (if it is 3.3V as marked on the board) go anywhere on the back side?

What is IC660? That is, what is written on it?

Originally posted by Welchs101
                    I am enclosing an "overall" pic of the back of the power-supply/inverter board.

I also measured the IC660:
                    Note: MEasurements same with either black or red lead first/second.
                    Pin1 to Pin2: Measured resistance was 9.9kOhm
                    Pin1 to Pin3: Measured resistance was 0.4ohm
                    Pin2 to Pin3: Measured resistance was 9.9kOhm
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I guess i dont understand. How is connecting a known good bulb doing anything if i have already verified the bulbs are "good". Sorry but i dont understand.
                      A common inverter design has one 'stability' feature, as well as two forms of protection. The stability feature feeds the total CCFL current back to the inverter controller so the lamps are running at their designed current.

The two safety features react to the maximum current through any one lamp and the maximum voltage across any lamp. By substituting a known good lamp in turn for each original lamp you can determine if the problem is caused by a lamp that is drawing too much current (current draw increases as the lamp ages).

If you remember the IBM monitor I helped you with a few weeks ago, try the same test I PM'd you'.

PlainBill
                      Last edited by PlainBill; 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM.
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

ok. I shorted pin 3 and pin 20 of the BIT3105. In the previous monitor you helped me with the monitor stayed on after doing this (not a permanent fix) but for THIS monitor lamps went out....ie....no change. Monitor comes on for a few seconds then goes off.

Comment

Have you tried changing all of the caps yet? If not, at least change the 25v, 220uF CapXon next to F1 and maybe another cap on the 5v rail. I'm still very suspicious of the rest of the CapXon caps.

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                          Odd, I can't see how pin 5 and 6 (if it is 3.3V as marked on the board) go anywhere on the back side?
                          Yeah, it seems the 3.3v was omitted from the PSU design, so pins 5 and 6 may be ignored when doing measurements again. I'm guessing the video board probably has it's own 3.3v regulator.

Comment

momaka,

I have not changed all the caps. I was hoping i would not have to go this route. I did borrow a friends ESR meter and i measured the ESR values of the caps (in circuit) ......they seem ok.

Comment

ok. In the previous monitor you helped me with the monitor stayed on after doing this (not a permanent fix) but for THIS monitor lamps went out....ie....no change. Monitor comes on for a few seconds then goes off.
                              OK, that means it's not an sensing an open lamp, so that side can be ignored. Now try measuring the resistances of each transformer secondary. I've circled the pins.

PlainBill
                              Attached Files
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Measured transformer:

Note measurement on transformer #3:
                                Transformer1: 0.981Kohm
                                Transformer2: 0.975Kohm
                                Transformer3: 5.0Kohm
                                Transformer4: 0.997Kohm

Question:
                                These transformers........what am i measuring? I know conceptually what a transformer is supposed to do and how its supposed to look. But the transformers on these inverters always have more leads than simple "input side" and "output side". The points you mentioned in the picture.......what am i measuring?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Measured transformer:

Note measurement on transformer #3:
                                  Transformer1: 0.981Kohm
                                  Transformer2: 0.975Kohm
                                  Transformer3: 5.0Kohm
                                  Transformer4: 0.997Kohm

Question:
                                  These transformers........what am i measuring? I know conceptually what a transformer is supposed to do and how its supposed to look. But the transformers on these inverters always have more leads than simple "input side" and "output side". The points you mentioned in the picture.......what am i measuring?
                                  You are confusing physical configuration with electrical configuration. Recall, on a schematic a capacitor is always shown with the two leads opposite one another - even a radial cap. This transformer design has one end of the secondary attached to the same end of the transformer as the primary windings. And you are measuring the resistance of the secondary - the high voltage winding.

Fortunately, replacement transformers are available - just search for 8TT00006.

PlainBill

Comment

So based on the measurement values #3 transformer is bad...........right?

I looked up this transformer......only found one site "lcdparts.com" that sells it. Do you know of another place?

Also, any ideas where i can find a datasheet on this thing. Just wondering how you knew that i was measuring the "secondary" resistance.

Thanks!

Comment

So based on the measurement values #3 transformer is bad...........right?

Also, any ideas where i can find a datasheet on this thing. Just wondering how you knew that i was measuring the "secondary" resistance.
                                      It should be around 950ohms according to this

http://www.lcdparts.net/TransformerD...ProductID=3355

The picture in the above URL shows you the pins for primary and secondary.

This is just like that video on how to test transformers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNuGWBPRGKA
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Just wondering how you knew that i was measuring the "secondary" resistance.
                                        One reason is because of the resistance. The primary has low resistance, whereas the secondary has a higher resistance. If you had one pin of each, you would get nothing, unless the coils had shorted, but then all pins would read connected to all the others (that assumes there's only 1 secondary)

Comment

Working...
                                        X