Element 50 in (I think ELEFT502) no backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element 50 in (I think ELEFT502) no backlight

P.O. says sound worked and no picture. For me Red light turns blue and it stays on. . No sound or picture. With flashlight I can see the menu come up very dim.
    Nothing jumps out with back off except how little is in there.
    Power supply
    Tcon board and tuner board.. That's it. I get 167 volts on standby and 390 with set on across the large filter cap on hot side of supply. From other posts these are normal. On Connectors 1 through 5 I have a red and white wire each going into the panel on the left side. I assume these are feeding the led backlights. Do I test the output with a common ground or across each connector?

I have read that this set is prone to backlight failures but hoping it is the supply instead. No voltages are printed on supply so not sure what I should be seeing. And if these "backlight" voltages are safe to check. All these connectors come off the right side of the board which is the cold side. Also fuse on Tcon board is ok.

If someone could tell me what voltages should be there in those connecters going to the panel that would help. The board is MIP550D 5TC

Have pictures but for some reason Site says I do not have permission to post. Will work on that. and I can find no model number on it anywhere but I think the one in the post title is correct.
    Last edited by Wingryder; 01-17-2016, 11:42 AM.

Re: Element 50 in (I think ELEFT502) no backlight

I couldn't tell you what voltages you should have, but I can say my experiences with Elements are very bad. I've seen dozens with backlight failures (not all your model though). If you have a bench power supply, I'd test each individual strip (the 5 connectors who's wires go into the backlight. In my experience with other Elements, they're usually around 30 volts DC. I would start low and slowly turn the voltage up until you get light though. If all the strips light, you should then use an ammeter to see how much current each is drawing. LEDs usually fail open (i.e., circuit is broken), but I've seen a few times where they shorted and the affected strip would still light but too much current would be drawn, then the overcurrent protection shuts the LED driver circuit down. How much current you should see, I couldn't say, but they should all be about the same. If one is significantly different, that's the one which is the problem.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Thanks lookimback No bench supply here but I did measure across each of the five connectors as I powered up. #1 had 3.5 volts for a second, #2 comes up to 3.9 volts and stays there.... and the rest have no voltage. (this is with all still plugged in of course)

So Power supply or Bad Panel ? or too early to tell?
      Last edited by Wingryder; 01-18-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Well got frustrated and sold this one locally non working. Sellers remorse a bit but the Element bad reputation worried me. On to the next.

Comment

Working...
        X