Sylvania 6842pe won't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sylvania 6842pe won't turn on

Hi everyone! First post here. I'm from Lakin Kansas. I have a sylvania 42'' monitor that won't turn on. I've identified two bulging 1500uf 200v caps in the power supply. and have them on order. Is there anything I need to look at whiie waiting for thes parts? Thanks everyone!

Re: Sylvania 6842pe won't turn on

If it was your set how did it start to break down. Wont turn on?? means lots of different things to different people. If the caps are still on the board give us a description of what happens from the time you plug in - pressing the on button- up untill it reaches a stable fault stage. Say what the panel does and what any led lights do. Try in a darkened room
    to see any flashes. Does the sound work are there any other noises clicks hisses etc.

Try and get some good pictures as follows
    Welcome to the forum-
    We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.

We can then suggest a few tests while you wait.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

The guy I got it from said he was watching it and there was a flash across the screen and it went off. Now when you push the power button you here a click and the power light comes on for a second and then back to standby. Never any picture or sound. I do have some electronics experiance as I' built a lighting controler for christmas displays. I've also built a 5F1 tube guitar amp. I have several multimeters including a fluke, bluepoint and craftsman. I have soldering irons and guns ranging from 25watt to 300 watt.

Comment

Ok if you can post pics of the fronts of any boards and one of the overall
        layout that will do for now - back may be required later.
        What is the board part number of the power supply? - may have a second
        small mains filter board as well.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I'll try to get pics later tonight. It does have a smaller filter board before the other connected to the power cord connection

Comment

Sorry, no pics yet. I did put in the two caps I ordered and they did not fix the problem, although when I hit the power button now it takes longer till I hear a click and it goes back to standby.

Comment

Alright I've got some pictures. Could someone walh me through how to upload? Thanks!

Comment

Use manage attachments (paper clip). The pics have to be 2000 x 2000 or smaller. Try to get them as close to 2000 x 2000. I use windows paint to shrink/crop pictures.

Comment

Ok, Hows this
                  Attached Files

Comment

What have you done so far? I see you said 2 caps were replaced. Have you checked the fuse on the power supply?

Comment

Yes all fuses are good. I realy don't know where to go from here.

Comment

What is the make and series of the 2 caps that you did replace? Are the original samwha caps?

Comment

The ones I replaced are nichicon GN{M} 1500uf 200v.

Comment

Ok - start at the beginning- Power comes in to small filter board Pic 7 - Meter on 400VAC what voltage do you get (CARE HIGH VOLTAGE)
                            where it leaves this board (opposite end to the fuse)
                            Power then goes to the small brown board above it.
                            Can you get a good clear picture of that (Good lighting is the key to clear pictures) Need to be able to read the values on the sockets.
                            Need a better picture of pic 2 -in two halves if needs be
                            Want to be able to read what it says near the sockets the yellow wires go to
                            Last edited by selldoor; 08-04-2012, 06:15 AM.

Comment

I believe I had 119vac there. I'll try to get better pictures tonight. Thanks!

Comment

Another test is (switched off 5 mins) unplug the cables to the Ysus board top right in pic1 then try and switch on.
                                Note what happens if different.
                                Then switch off (5 Mins) plug Ysus back in and unplug Xsus board on left side pic 1, switch on -note what happens. Switch off 5 mins unplug both boards and switch on - report what happens.

Comment

Possibly the bad caps caused the psu to overwork, and then blow a mosfet or diode.

EDIT: VERY strange that the two nichicons went bad, they are usually a good brand!
                                  Last edited by ben7; 08-04-2012, 06:42 AM. Reason: nothing
                                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                    Possibly the bad caps caused the psu to overwork, and then blow a mosfet or diode.

EDIT: VERY strange that the two nichicons went bad, they are usually a good brand!
                                    They were bulged pritty bad. They wobbled like weebles if you stood them on the ends.

Comment

Originally posted by gayler View Post
                                      Ok, Hows this
                                      In the first picture, it looks like 2 capacitors are on backwards, especiall
                                      between the two heatsinks, what do you guys think.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.sky View Post
                                        In the first picture, it looks like 2 capacitors are on backwards, especiall
                                        between the two heatsinks, what do you guys think.
                                        No, they are in the right way; what looks like the marker for the negative is actually just a bunch of silicone glue.
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                        X