Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Viewsonic VP201 repaired thanks to badcaps forum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Viewsonic VP201 repaired thanks to badcaps forum!

A co-worker gifted me with a broken Viewsonic VP201 LCD display. The power light was green, but nothing appeared on the display. A google search using its model number and "repair" brought me to the badcaps forum thread 95163.

Upon disassembly I found 1 bulging 680 uF 25V cap and an open F2 fuse. I measured 17.75V from the power supply.

I ordered a complete cap set and fuses from Mouser.
    Last night I replaced both 680 uF caps (Ltec), and the 150 uF 400V (Taicon) high side cap, as they were the only ones with China/Taiwan origin. I left the Nichicon 22 uF and 47 uF's alone, mostly because I didn't feel like digging them out of the white adhesive goop. Then I replaced the fuse - my first surface mount PCB repair.

I reinstalled the power supply board, inverter board, and the inverter shield then applied power to the panel. The "No signal" icons appeared - the first sign of success! PSU output voltage was still 17.75V. I reinstalled the main board and power supply shield, then buttoned up the case. Connecting it to the computer confirmed its successful resurrection from the dead.

Some Mouser part #'s for your convenience:
    576-0466002.NR 63V 2A Littlefuse
    647-UPZ2G151MHD6 400V 150 uF Nichicon aluminum electrolytic cap
    667-EEU-FR1E681 25VDC 680 uF Panasonic aluminum electrolytic cap

Thank you, badcappers Wrog and PlainBill, for making this an easy fix.

Jon

Re: Another Viewsonic VP201 repaired thanks to badcaps forum!

Thanks for Posting this with the part numbers, I have a VP201 that powers on for about 10-15 minutes then goes dark. Turn it off for a while to cool down an it comes back to life for a short period. Looks like the culprit is a bulging 150uf 400v cap on the power supply board. The board shows signs of heat (browning) around this cap as well. Hopefully replacing it will solve the problem.

Comment

Re: Another Viewsonic VP201 repaired thanks to badcaps forum!

I dont know your background but would advise care in desoldering in this area.
      The cap can hold a charge of up to 400volts in the us perhaps 260volts.
      If it is faulty it may not discharge correctly.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
      X