Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 15" LCD backlight - inverter caps?

HP Pavilion F50 D5063 15" LCD monitor

The backlight is dim, and flickers except when the brightness is turned down to around 50%. I replaced the two CCFL tubes, ordered from http://www.lcdpart.com, they are brighter than the originals but still only usable in a dimly lit room.

Inverter PCB has 7 electrolytics marked:

220uF 16V
    SG 105C
    L127(M)
    Lelon

They are approx 8mm x 8mm. Replacements cannot be any larger, due to tight clearance to metal shielding. Any suggestions of a retailer with small quantities would be appreciated.

Re: HP 15" LCD backlight - inverter caps?

Found datasheets for Lelon SG series "Micro Miniature" this cap is 8x7mmL

Comment

lelon=crap.
      change them.
      it seems micro miniature caps dry out faster than standard ones.

Comment

schspeedster has a problem with height clearance so needs 220uF 16V replacement caps but similar case size is 8wx7h

any idea guys
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Could go a couple of mm longer, any possible issues with the can being too close to the metal shielding? Not like 12-16VDC is going to arc over but maybe RF interference? I could drill a hole in the shield if I had to.

Comment

Xicon MLRL series Sub-Miniature seems to be the right 8x7L size for the 220uF 16V, is on the Xicon datasheet but not carried by Mouser or Source Research (only have up to 10V) Any other sources for Xicon MLRL?

Comment

any possible issues with the can being too close to the metal shielding? Not like 12-16VDC is going to arc over but maybe RF interference?
              RF - i doubt it.
              cap vents touching the shielding - any idea if that will be a problem guys

why not lean the caps?
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Fixed! Dim flickering backlight is now bright. These were slightly longer but just fit. This message composed with free electrons from caps found here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=020-1706

Comment

Sounds a bit like the backlight problem I'm having on my dad's laptop (a Fujitsu Siemens one). When the backlight works, it works fine - but occasionally it seems to flicker and die. Sometimes you can get it back by tilting the screen/lid back and forth a few times, but other times a cut-out operates. The only way to get it back then is by shutting down and restarting the laptop.
                  The fact I can get it back by tilting the screen seems to suggest a loose connection somewhere (and repeated power surges from the flickering operate the cut-out), but could it also be a bad inverter?

Also, I frequently get a strange picture effect - anything that's supposed to be black on the screen comes out as vertical green lines O.o

Edit: The parts express link is being caught by my web filter at work, because it contains the s-word
                  You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Probably broken cables, connectors or solder joints.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake View Post
                      RF - i doubt it.
                      cap vents touching the shielding - any idea if that will be a problem guys

why not lean the caps?
                      Throw away the shielding. In fact remove any shielding from LCD monitor if possible. They're only good for frying caps to venting point.

I've remove shielding from LCD monitors whenever it's possible and so far those repaired ones never had their caps venting again. Ever!

Comment

Working...
                      X