Samsung PN50A510 P3FXZA Plasma Cycling On/Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung PN50A510 P3FXZA Plasma Cycling On/Off

thanks tweecer I actually figured out it was underneath the board so I brought it to my brothers house as he had the light with the circle magnifying glass and the correct tools. can't believe 1.39 part fixed my tv it was perfect timing too cause the day I ordered the piece was the first day it actually didn't turn on at all.

THANKS TO ALL!!!! Hopefully I can get another 6 years out of her

How someone actually figured out that this was the defective piece is beyond me and it's a good thing Kevinm knew which piece was the correct one on DIGI-KEY thanks Kevinm
    Last edited by celiot29; 12-07-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I have a Samsung pn50a550. It just turned off one day and wouldn't turn back on. It clicks and cycles but didn't wont turn on. I noticed one bulging 10v cap on the power board. Changed it out as well as the 10v one next to it that looked good with 25v mcm electronics caps. I resoldered the whole board (I solder circuits for a living) then reinstalled it back in the TV. The tv came on but when I turned it off it after a few hours it went back to its old ways, clicking & not coming on. I have the 2 thermistors but have not put them in yet. I also change out the 47uf/c102 tantelum cap on the main board and did a reflow of 8min@385 deg. Still not working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Is this something a everyday guy can reolace is the question ? I located the part

Comment

Hello, I am new to your forum, but the information I obtained was spot on! I have a Samsung, PN50A550S1FXZA Plasma TV. It was turning off and on. I am new to electronic repairs, but my neighbor is a electrical engineer. I did have to blown capacitors on the Y-Buffer board, but after repairing them it still was turning off and on. Your info on the C102 capacitor has my Plasma working great! Under the guidance of my neighbor I replaced the capacitor with a poly capacitor instead of the tantalum. He related that the poly is a better choice. Anyway the part number from Digi-key was 399-10532-1-ND, $1.40. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I have a PN58A550S1FXZA that is exhibiting the issue at hand here. The P16230CT-ND is backordered at Digikey until Feb 23rd. I'm not sure if the TV will hold out that long as it's power cycling 3 times now. bkjeight has recommended that we can use a polymer type with a part number of 399-10532-1-ND. I'm concerned that his cap might be the wrong physical size and not fit the board properly. 0.138" L x 0.110" W (3.50mm x 2.80mm) vs 0.126" L x 0.063" W (3.20mm x 1.60mm). It looks different and long by comparison.

I also do not possess a surface mount soldering iron or tools. I saw a youtube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JM4oCpWnjU of someone applying heat back and forth rapidly to both sides of a surface cap and it came loose. Did everyone here use professional tools for dismount and mount or a simple iron? They are expensive and I was hoping to not have to purchase one. R107 is super close. I would hate to hit it accidentally.
            Attached Files

Comment

Taking a leap of faith and ordering P16230CT-ND alternative from Digikey. In stock.

Any soldering suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Comment

How do you replace the cap. Plug in solder?

Comment

Actually the Poly cap is closer to the size than the tantalum, which actually is larger than the original. I ordered both caps. The values are the same and being a beginner I had no problem soldering. I simply put a spot of solder on one side, using tweezers solder it and then the other side. TV is still working great. My neighbor suggested I could have used scotch tape to hold it and then just soldered thru it. I did not have to use that method. My tools are very limited so anyone with a steady hand can do it. The poly as my neighbor (electrical engineer) explained is a better cap and will last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by tweecer View Post
                    I forgot to mention that the C102 on my main board was not labled either. I meant to take a pic and post it with the same information as you, but was so pumped to get it assembled back together and on the wall, but forgot. PN58A550S1FXZA

Seems Amazon also has part shipping is 6.99

Comment

Try Amazon they have large selection

Comment

First, hello all and thanks for all the information on how to fix this issue!

I ordered the cap bkjeight recommended, part number of 399-10532-1-ND. It is smaller than the original cap but found I had no problem getting it soldered in. Just make sure to position it correctly and it will sit enough on each pad. I used two cheap soldering irons at the same time so I could heat each pad and remove the original cap. It came off with no problem.

I have now turned on the monitor twice since replacing the cap and each time it came on perfectly. Previously it usually took 2-3 times of cycling on-off before the picture was correct. I will post again if any updates.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Comment

Wow! I just found this forum through a google search. Thank you all for the wonderful information! I have the exact same problem as everyone else on this board and ordered the part. My only problem is I can't find where the part would be on the board. I saw the pictures people have posted so far but I still have no idea where to look on my tv. Is the area the part goes hidden if you are looking at the back of the tv with only the outside cover off? I haven't unscrewed anything besides the huge back cover of the tv so far. Could someone please provide information or a picture on where exactly to look? Thank you in advance.

Comment

The board in question is the main board which is the one on the lower right with all the inputs like HDMI, component video etc. The capacitor is on the reverse side (next to R107) so you have to unscrew ( and unlpug some connectors, and wiggle out) the board to see it. My part just came in and I'll be doing it this week. Good luck!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hello, I am also new to this forum. Though I have watched this particular thread for about a week now, I am just posting now. First of all, big tip of the hat to kevinm34232 for first posting this and keeping everyone informed as to his progress and experiences, including the posting of the link to the Panasonic replacement cap on Digi-Key, but especially the picture of the board showing the location of C102.

I had purchased a mainboard repair kit from shopjimmy.com, which included a replacement for C102. However, the components did not come with a placement description (front/back of the board, etc.). I had searched high and low on my own board and finally guessed its location by process of elimination, but still wasn't sure. Like others, my board also did not have C102 identified. Kevinm34232's pictures were truly instrumental! Thanks also to rwcroson, who first confirmed that this was in fact the unlabeled cap and attached the pics for everyone.

Thanks also to tom66 and everyone else here who has provided their feedback; it's nice to know which Samsung model numbers this applies to. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put a "master" list together of model numbers for which this replacement has been a confirmed fix.

So, now it's my turn to provide my feedback. My Samsung TV's model number is LN40A530P1FXZA, which is not a plasma, but an LCD model. My mainboard number is BN94-01723C. I have not yet replaced the cap, so I can't confirm that this is the fix for my TV. However, all the symptoms are the same, and I don't doubt that the TV will work properly again after replacing this cap.

This brings me to my reason for not having replaced the cap yet. As sargeslaughter and others have asked, I too have questions about the replacement process. In particular, I am interested in the removal of this component, as simply trying to apply heat from a soldering iron on both sides of the cap has not gotten me very far and I've been afraid of leaving the iron in a spot for a prolonged amount of time due to possible component damage. I do not own a hot air iron or rework station, and I am asking the question if it is either required or highly recommended for this type of replacement (of a SMT component). Hopefully, the answer to this will help other people prepare for the replacement process as well. Regardless, I'm leaning toward purchasing one at this point and any product recommendations would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by bkjeight View Post
                                Hello, I am new to your forum, but the information I obtained was spot on! I have a Samsung, PN50A550S1FXZA Plasma TV. It was turning off and on. I am new to electronic repairs, but my neighbor is a electrical engineer. I did have to blown capacitors on the Y-Buffer board, but after repairing them it still was turning off and on. Your info on the C102 capacitor has my Plasma working great! Under the guidance of my neighbor I replaced the capacitor with a poly capacitor instead of the tantalum. He related that the poly is a better choice. Anyway the part number from Digi-key was 399-10532-1-ND, $1.40. Thanks for the help!
                                Though I am by no means an electrical engineer, I'm pretty decent with electronics and technical specs, and from what I've read and learned so far, his neighbor would certainly be correct in his statement about poly vs. just tantalum caps. If I have read the specs correctly, however, the Panasonic Digi-Key part that kevinm34232 initially linked to does seem to be a polymer tantalum capacitor, just like the Digi-Key part that bkjeight mentions above. The Panasonic part actually has a lower ESR (35 mOhm) than the Kemet part (200 mOhm). From what I've learned so far, I believe the lower the ESR, the better, but please feel free to correct me on that. Additionally, the Panasonic part has a higher permissible ripple current than the Kemet part (1400 mAms vs. 548 mAMs). Again, I believe that this is a positive thing.

All in all though, it seems like either replacement part is a much better part than the original part that Samsung put on the board. And with the Panasonic part currently being out of stock, my comparison between the two replacement parts is kind of moot.

Having read that a replacement part with higher rated voltage is fine, given that the capacitance remains the same, would that also apply here and would it be worth it for longevity's sake?

Cheers!

Comment

Can't believe just received my shipment from Digikey they sent a box packed with filler etc and there was nothing in the box but a piece of paper saying they are charging me .90 and .07 tax on a back ordered part. There was no part. I just ordered part from Amazon shipping is $6.99. Very strange.

Comment

First off, thank you 'sargeslaughter' for the images!

I just got done soldering the part on (C102). It was my first time ever soldering anything in my life. The hardest part was getting the defective piece off of the board. It took awhile for me to figure out how to get it off. All I did was I went back and forth between each side of the defective piece with my soldering iron while slightly pulling on the piece with tweezers and it eventually came off. I was careful not to touch any other part of the board with the hot soldering iron while I did this. After that I used the tweezers to place the new piece onto the board while heating up the solder. I did one side at a time.
                                    After this I put the board back on the tv and plugged everything back in. I turned it on and it worked on the first try! HAHA I was kind of skeptical about this working as I have never done anything like this before, but it flippin worked. I'd like to thank everyone again on this thread for all of the great information. I hope everyone elses project works out.

Sidenote: When I went on Digikey to order the part, it said there it is on backorder for like a month. Someone else recommended an alternative, which is what I ordered and it works fine. The part number is: 399-10532-1-ND and it can be found here:
                                    http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...399-10532-1-ND

Comment

I replaced mine tonight with the yellow Kemet one and have a success http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1-1-ND/1129710 . As hockey_!01 mentioned, it is slightly difficult to get the cap off but definitely used tweezers to gently pull up on it but not so much to risk pad damage. Also afraid of hitting R107 as it is super close to the side of the cap. I filed my soldering tip so that it was more flat / thinner to get in there. I soldered the side next to R107 first.
                                      Just saved the $2400 I was going to spend on a 70" 4K tv. Hats off to kevinm34232 and all you guys for the tips and advice.

Comment

Ive got the same issue with my TV pn50a550, signed up to the forums just for rhis thread thanks for the great info!

Comment

Just replaced mine used the Panasonic poly very easy and works great. Thanks for all your help saved buying a new TV

Comment

Working...
                                          X