Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One simple question

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
    I should have been more specific. I add a bit of 60/40 solder first then use the desolder pump. This works on RoHS boards as well for me.
    I usually do!

Originally posted by bw1 View Post
    With direct heat from a 50w temp-controlled station maxed out, directly on the back of the board and using some solder to help transfer heat, the stupid thing won't budge a millimeter. Any longer and I'd definitely risk heat damage, if I didn't already.

Comment

So, I went at this stupid card again tonight, more or less because it's becoming personal. I heated the he11 out of it, to the point that the capacitor on the opposite side of the pcb was too hot to touch and more or less getting guey, with the solder station maxed out and a nice glob of new solder to transfer heat -- NOTHING.

Obviously I don't care much about the card anymore, but I don't understand what's going on here. I replaced a different cap on an Asus motherboard tonight just fine, and fixed 5 Viewsonic 19" LCD power supplies the other day.

Normally. Not. A problem.

....anyone....????

Comment

i sometimes CAREFULLY preheat with a heatgun on a stubborn board.watch out for hsf pushpins,ect.

Comment

Since the cap is probably destroyed by all the heating, I'd take a pair of dikes to it and chop the can off down to the leads. Remove all the other bits of the cap leaving the leads. Then you should be able to get them out with little effort.

Or, if clearance permits, wiggle the can side to side until the leads snap, then go from there. BUT, it may not leave you with anything to grasp and pull out.

What card is this and have a pic or 2?
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
          X