Mass Rubycon failure on MSI K9N NEO-F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Rubycon failure on MSI K9N NEO-F

I'm totally puzzled by this, because as far as I know (via the google), this should not happen. I was having intermittent (one per week) Memory Management BSODs on this box, which finally developed into total shutdowns (the PSU would cut out, not turn back on for a minute). Replaced the PSU with no success, inspection of the motherboard revealed that all eight Rubycon MCZ 6.3w 1800uf capacitors on the board were bulging or venting. The really weird part is that every other capacitor on the board is fine, but all of these have failed. This board was purchased in 2006. It has operated just about continuously since then, with no issues until now.
    Attached Files

Re: Mass Rubycon failure on MSI K9N NEO-F

Originally posted by mekrith
    Replaced the PSU with no success, inspection of the motherboard revealed that all eight Rubycon MCZ 6.3w 1800uf capacitors on the board were bulging or venting. The really weird part is that every other capacitor on the board is fine, but all of these have failed. This board was purchased in 2006.
    What is the date code on the Rubycons? It should be something like 0632 (2006 week 32).

I'm no authority, but ALL caps will eventually fail. Heat will kill the caps and maybe these Rubycons were/are subjected to a lot of heat.

They look like "real" Rubycons with the "K" vent.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The are 0603s. On closer inspection, there are Nichicon 6.3v 1000uf 0610s in neighbouring areas, as well as Chemicon KZFs... these last guys plus the summertime, are probably responsible for the failure.
      Last edited by mekrith; 07-23-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

bulging rubycons... what a shame...

Comment

What kind of a PSU was used with this system?
          Maybe it did a really poor job filtering the current... (So the mobo caps had to work harder than the spec calls for)

Or the system could just have been running too hot... (Remember at 105C it takes just 2000 hours before the caps will be out of spec...)
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Lots of factors could have resulted in this failure. I've seen many systems with cooked rubies as well as cooked panasonics (the two best lytics in existence). Faulty PSU, poor ventilation and extreme heat will kill ANY brand lytic.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

So, maybe it is not the caps brand that matters sometimes..

Comment

look at your case ventilation.esp if you have one of those cheap but pretty things.
                seen too many right out of the box with the fans installed wrong.no airflow.
                correct this,recap and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                  So, maybe it is not the caps brand that matters sometimes..
                  Yes, it still matters
                  Good caps will last much longer than poor caps
                  So had this system had any brand of caps from the bad cap manufacturers it would have failed much sooner...
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                    look at your case ventilation.esp if you have one of those cheap but pretty things.
                    seen too many right out of the box with the fans installed wrong.no airflow.
                    correct this,recap and move on.
                    I agree with that.. I had one computer in here that had the power supply sucking air out and a fan right under it that sucked air in. no front cooling fan either.. all that happened was more of a recycled vortex of heated air..

also, if you look, from your pictures, all the ruby's are right next to heat sinks so they were probably getting constantly blasted with hot air..
                    Last edited by kaniki; 07-24-2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I'm now using polymers on all failed Rubycon caps. If a motherboard can kill a Rubycon cap, then it can kill any electrolytic cap. The price has come way down on the polys.

Comment

Working...
                      X