• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polymer Capacitor FAQ

I will edit in the answers and stuff later

How do they look?

Why are they useful?

When can you subsitute them for electrolytics?

When can't you?

Are they better at dealing with hot environments?

Anything to watch out for when installing?

What's the point of polymer caps?

Re: Polymer Capacitor FAQ

Is it a good idea to use an old poly cap? (desoldering from some board) Just in case that i can't find a replacement.

Comment

1. How they look: They don't have vent stamps, but some may have plastic sleeves

2. Why they are usefull: Lower ESR, Higher tolerances to ripple and heat, and thus they generally last longer

3. When you can substitute them for lytics: On the VRM in and out of motherboards and Graphics cards if you reduce the capacitance. They can be used on other parts of a motherboards, but you don't reduce the capacitance. This can be a problem as 1000uF polys are 10mm but 1000uF lytics are 8mm dia.

4. When you cant substitute them for lytics: In PSUs

5. Are they better in hot environments: Yes

6. Anything to watch out for when installing: Yes. Some of them have thicker legs than normal and sometimes they can be physically bigger than lytics

7. The point of them: To provide better reliability and heat tolerance than electrolytics

8. Is it a good idea to use used polys? It can be done and I have done it before, but it is always better to use new ones.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

fujitsu have vent stamps.
        and search polymods for the general rules.

Comment

Ok. Any other questiins/answers to add before i do the final edit (ill figure out how later)

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
            fujitsu have vent stamps.
            Not anymore. I havent seen one of those yellow fujitsu hybrid caps for ages.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Not anymore. I havent seen one of those yellow fujitsu hybrid caps for ages.
              In the last year or two?, Fujitsu sold their Polymer interests to Nichicon so Fujitsu Polymer aren't made anymore.
              Nichicon makes Polymer in the 'typical polymer can' with no vent and no sleeve.

From what I can tell there are still a lot of the old Black/Yellows left in the supply channels but you aren't likely to see them in new manufactured items from a main stream company.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X