Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recapping with used caps from older boards

Hi,

i have several older K7 mainboards with bad caps and i have some older P2 to P3 slot1 boards from 1996 to 1998 with good caps with the same specs(I think i have read that the cap problems started before 1998).

Now my question is can i use caps from the old, slow but still working Boards for the "newer" boards?

another question is should i recap only the broken caps (or only the broken ones type for example all of 1000µf 6.5v) or all caps wich I have on the boards?

Thanks
    nico-e

Re: recapping with used caps from older boards

Cannibalizing caps from old boards = bad idea. Just buy new ones, its not like they're all that expensive. As a rule, replace all the caps 1000uF and up.

If you're just recapping these old boards for practice, and not intending on using them for anything except tinkering, then yes, scavenge the caps from the junk boards.....but if the boards being recapped are going to actually be used for something, just buy new caps.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

If the board is just a toy to learn on then that's okay.

If it's for anything important, then no. - Don't do it.

Several reasons for saying that. Here's two:

1- Electrolytic caps are called that because they basically have an electrolysis chemical reaction going on inside them. They have a life span because the chemicals in the electrolyte does eventually wear out. They also [usually] eventually dry out.

2- The voltage on the side doesn't mean anything on used caps. A caps voltage rating is based on how thick the oxide layer on the aluminum foil is. Caps will 'reform' the layer to the actual applied voltage in just a few hours. [Unless the applied voltage is too high for the thickness of the layer in which case they will short internally.]
      Ripple current strips the oxide layer off the aluminum foil. The applied DC voltage puts the oxide layer back by way of electrolysis. It's like electroplating only it's the oxide that is plating out. [They used to call this characteristic 'self healing'.] The DC voltage is only going to put it back as thick as the applied voltage.
      - So. Someone takes a 16v cap and puts it on 3.3v. Two hours later it's a 3.3v cap even though it says it's a 16v cap on the side. Much later you pull this cap and put in on a 12v circuit -> SHORT CIRCUIT!

Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        1- Electrolytic caps are called that because they basically have an electrolysis chemical reaction going on inside them. They have a life span because the chemicals in the electrolyte does eventually wear out. They also [usually] eventually dry out.
        how long should or could caps live wich are not affected by the Electrolytic problem wich the cheaper ones have after 1998?

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        2- The voltage on the side doesn't mean anything on used caps. A caps voltage rating is based on how thick the oxide layer on the aluminum foil is. Caps will 'reform' the layer to the actual applied voltage in just a few hours. [Unless the applied voltage is too high for the thickness of the layer in which case they will short internally.]
        Ripple current strips the oxide layer off the aluminum foil. The applied DC voltage puts the oxide layer back by way of electrolysis. It's like electroplating only it's the oxide that is plating out. [They used to call this characteristic 'self healing'.] The DC voltage is only going to put it back as thick as the applied voltage.
        - So. Someone takes a 16v cap and puts it on 3.3v. Two hours later it's a 3.3v cap even though it says it's a 16v cap on the side. Much later you pull this cap and put in on a 12v circuit -> SHORT CIRCUIT!
        as i understand I can use higher voltages caps? is there a "replacing rule" could this example work?
        I need to replace 1000uF 6,3V can i use 1000uF 16V or higher? maybe this is cheaper :-D
        Last edited by nico-e; 09-09-2010, 04:19 PM.

Comment

You can sometimes get away with using 2nd hand caps on motherboards if:
          1. You know the voltage that was previously applied to it and
          2. The salvaged cap is a good brand like panny or rubycon

I have successfully used 2nd hand caps under those circumstances, but I would still encourage new caps.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by nico-e View Post
            how long should or could caps live wich are not affected by the Electrolytic problem wich the cheaper ones have after 1998?
            That's a bit to open to answer.
            The conditions the caps are used in affects that BIG TIME.
            Each 10C reduction in operating temperature doubles a caps lifetime.
            Each 10C increase cuts it in half.
            It's logarithmic.

You seem to be thinking there is was one problem with caps, the famous 'capacitor plague' one.
            That isn't true.
            There are actually more like 7 or 8 'capacitor plagues'. Some have come and gone. Some have been around as long as caps have and continue today.
            -
            ALL caps made with Chinese or Taiwan sourced Aluminum [no matter when made, including 50 years ago and yesterday] have nearly the same problem as the *famous* capacitor plague caps, it's just slower. Root cause is different, the failure is the same. This happens because naturally occurring impurities in the CH & TW Aluminum leach into the Electrolyte and break it down. How much of those impurities are in the Aluminum varies from batch to batch which is why sometines 'cheap' caps last for years and other times they fail in 6 months.
            - Japanese, US, and European made caps don't have that problem because their Aluminum doesn't have those impurities and they actually have QA programs that work.
            -
            The Nichicon HN and HM problems are NOT related AT ALL to the 'stolen electrolyte formula' of the CH & TW Aluminum problem.
            No Japanese brands were affected by the bad formula.
            Japanese cap manufacturers don't use CH & TW sources for Aluminum.

Originally posted by nico-e View Post
            as i understand I can use higher voltages caps? is there a "replacing rule" could this example work?
            I need to replace 1000uF 6,3V can i use 1000uF 16V or higher? maybe this is cheaper :-D
            The voltage marked on the side of a cap is it's MAX voltage.
            [Assuming it's a new cap.]

Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

^ yo PC nice posts, thanks.

i agree canibalizing caps should be an emergency procedure and should be avoided unless u definetly dont have another choice. or for learning, or devices that will do unimportant jobs...

jm2c

peace.
              We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

Working...
              X