Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnavox 32MF231D - Everything Works But Video Is Black

Hi,

I just picked up a Magnavox 32MF231D that has no video. Tuner, sound, controls and backlight all work properly, but the video is flat black (no picture). Nothing changes on power-up or if set is left on for any length of time.

Due to the fact that everything else works, and also the fact that I don't have the facility to do much in the way of live voltage checks on either the main or the T-CON boards, I just have a simple question:

In y'all's experience, which board is the most common culprit behind this issue (provided it's not being caused by a lose ribbon cable connection) - Main or T-CON?

Thanks!
    SK

Re: Magnavox 32MF231D - Everything Works But Video Is Black

Originally posted by stevekasian View Post
    Hi,

In y'all's experience,

SK
    You sound like you're from Pittsburgh.

Most of the time this symptom is linked to inverter board failure. Whether the inverter board is built into the power board or it's own separate entity, that depends on the set. Some have two separate inverter boards - a master and slave inverter configuration. To test this theory, we usually would use a flashlight to see if the set is producing the video just without the backlights to iluminate the picture.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
      You sound like you're from Pittsburgh.

Most of the time this symptom is linked to inverter board failure. Whether the inverter board is built into the power board or it's own separate entity, that depends on the set. Some have two separate inverter boards - a master and slave inverter configuration. To test this theory, we usually would use a flashlight to see if the set is producing the video just without the backlights to iluminate the picture.
      True. But note that "Tuner, sound, controls and backlight all work properly,".

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I just spent several years in Texas and picked up the southern vocabulary is all. ;-)

Yes, the backlight does work perfectly, so I've ruled it out.

It's gonna be either the T-CON or the main board. I found a T-CON on ebay for $14.00/free shipping, so I'm gonna try that first... since the main board is over $100.00. OUCH!

I checked the fuses on the T-CON and they are good, but I've seen at least 4 other instances here in the forum where someone voiced their opinion that the T-CON was the most likely culprit behind this type of symptom. So... we shall see...

Comment

Note:

After searching much more thoroughly and paying attention to all sorts of numbers, letters and codes in and around the part #, I found that there are many different types of boards with the same root part number. The one I needed was $25.00, but would've been more had I not been absurdly careful in cross referencing, searching and matching ALL of the numbers and codes.

Lesson learned!
          Don't make the mistake I almost made!

Comment

I know it's been awhile but did you find a resolution for your problem on this TV?

Comment

Working...
            X