Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Capacitor cooling - Heatsinks for caps

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
    Don't generalize. The number of layers on a motherboard varies.. there are motherboards with 3-4 layers,there are motherboards with 8-10 layers ...
    And this 440BX relic in particular ain't precisely a prodigy of multilayered thickness .

... the tops of the capacitors are shiny white aluminum which may mess up the thermal camera, unless the camera is smart enough to adjust the coefficient. For proper measurement, the tops should be painted black or covered with a thin black material ...
    You do know your thermal stuff sir!

Comment

Don't generalize.
      I hope this reference of yours to was not aiming my own comments, or else I will have to advice you of where you will have to shove it.

And basically if you do own any temperature measuring tool, just a post a picture of it so WE to evaluate your true level of experiences.

Fire rockets about emissivity is all cheap theory coming from Google.
      No one asked the highest accuracy, and even the 100% correct emissivity it can influence a measurement by few degrees from be set wrong.

The capacitors which supposedly they need safeguarding they have tolerances up to 105 Celsius.

Lets keep this conversion in to real world scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
        No one asked the highest accuracy, and even the 100% correct emissivity it can influence a measurement by few degrees from be set wrong.

The capacitors which supposedly they need safeguarding they have tolerances up to 105 Celsius.

Lets keep this conversion in to real world scenario.
        Ha! coming from someone who usually says that we all need military/industrial grade test equipment.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            Ha! coming from someone who usually says that we all need military/industrial grade test equipment.
            If your job is to monitor the temperature of a nuclear rector, in this case your tools they will have to comply with specific standards and regulations.

I do not set the specific standards and regulations.
            By the way, this some one is licensed to walk-in in a room of CAT IV electrical installations and protects his good name (professional reputation) by using the appropriate equipment in every application.

The problem starts when some one makes the decision to pretend the doctor with out be willing to buy even a true stethoscope.
            For those my advice is to replace their hobby, and to move in to football which is much cheaper one.
            All that it takes is a ball of 10$.

Comment

In the enthusiast/gamer computer world, heatsinks are often as much about aesthetics as they are about function. To many professionals the idea of aesthetically pleasing PCBs is stupid, but we really get into it. Check out the pictures on any liquid cooling forum to get an idea of how far this assumption can go.

I think cap heatsinks would only work if they looked especially cool. I am thinking EK-style nickel-plated copper, or even chrome plating. Koolance has done some cool stuff with their Lang D5 pump heatsinks. I have some copper Enzotech heatsinks on my motherboard right now (VRMs & northbridge), and they look fantastic. As for temps, the VRMs did improve quite a bit (I also put another fan on them), but the northbridge saw no change.\\

This could be a great idea, if the focus in on style. There will not be any significant functional gains, but so much of PC modding today is style focused anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X