Toshiba Satellite C850 wont charge battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Satellite C850 wont charge battery

Hi guys i really need your help with this!I got this laptop from a friend who asked me to troubleshoot it.

It doesn't charge the battery.I cant find a specific schematic for the motherboard.There is a schematic in another thread but i cant figure what to test because it is not the same motherboard.

1) Ac adapter is ok.
    2)Tested with the same adapter of the same model.
    2) battery is ok
    3) The dc port also is ok.

I tried to check one of the mosfets next to power supply port.
    its the same as this pic shown in this thread : https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33704

the big one gives me 19V from the one side (all pins) but nothing on the other side of the pins.Is that normal? what should i check to figure what is wrong?

Laptop works fine with battery.Sometimes but not very often, the charging led is flashing like there is a random short.Only once the laptop had a successful charge.I removed everything to check for a short but that didn't work.I would appreciate any help on this! thanks!

Re: Toshiba Satellite C850 wont charge battery

There is a number on the motherboard post that and maybe somebody has correct schematic. you could have an issue with the charging ic. Also have you tried this http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=380

Also you need to verify its a good battery

Comment

Originally posted by Bisketti View Post
      There is a number on the motherboard post that and maybe somebody has correct schematic. you could have an issue with the charging ic. Also have you tried this http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=380

Also you need to verify its a good battery
      The battery is ok.Works and charge fine on another toshiba laptop which use the same battery model.Laptop doesnt power on from adapter.I managed to power it from AC adapter 1-2 times for a couple of hours but since then never worked again.

A work around is to buy a battery charger or visit a friend who has the C855 and charge it .I think it is the charging IC. It doesnt switch to give Voltage to the battery.Motherboard is always at battery state without incoming voltage from adapter.

Comment

Here are some photos.The big Mosfet gives me 19v only from its one side(all legs).

Comment

What is the ZRZ next to the fuse?Can someone give me a guide how test around the fuse.

Comment

It's more like 2R2, not ZRZ?
            R-standing for resistor, if you could find a schematic I'm sure someone could help.

Edit: Here's one posted by cyberhack

Originally posted by cyberhack View Post
            here is the diagram
            Last edited by 3d0; 02-18-2014, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3d0 View Post
              It's more like 2R2, not ZRZ?
              R-standing for resistor, if you could find a schematic I'm sure someone could help.

Edit: Here's one posted by cyberhack
              Yes you are right.Its a resistor.This schematic is different.I think my motherboard is Quanta.

Comment

Please show me a way.......curious.........

I have also same problem with dell vostro.

found charging ic burnt. replace with same.
                in display battery recognize.show charge ups and down.

But battery not charging............why?????

Comment

check battery side mosfets of charging circuit.

Comment

right spidey,
                    it is either charging mosfets or faulty charging ic which is max8731 in most dell laptops.

Comment

Here is the INVENTEC please the full pcb number
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by saxonas View Post
                        The battery is ok.Works and charge fine on another toshiba laptop which use the same battery model.Laptop doesnt power on from adapter.I managed to power it from AC adapter 1-2 times for a couple of hours but since then never worked again.

A work around is to buy a battery charger or visit a friend who has the C855 and charge it .I think it is the charging IC. It doesnt switch to give Voltage to the battery.Motherboard is always at battery state without incoming voltage from adapter.
                        Is there a way to make it work only with Ac adapter?can someone help with that?

thank you

Comment

change the little FDMC chip, and the battery will charge.

Comment

Hi,

I have similar problem, my c850 won't charge or start from power adapter. But can be powered and works from battery if is charged.

My motherboard has a label 12146959-01512-69N0ZWM2UA03-01, which probably has different diagram from the one attached on this thread.
                            Also serial is H000052360.

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram for this MB?

I noticed that an IOR F8707 power mosfet close to power plug do not output 19v (as input) but something close to 0.8-0.9V. Do you thing this is wrong and I found the issue?
                            Another IOR F8707 outputs the same volts on 3 pins and more volts than input on the 4th pin.

P.S. I don't have experience on troubleshooting MB, just learned everything from this awesome forum.
                            Thanks

Comment

where is the schematic???

Comment

Hi Guys,

My Toshiba Satellite C855-S5194 started to blink the Amber (Orange) LED in charge indication 2 weeks back and in Windows 8.1 battery icon it shows as "plugged in, not charging". The laptop is 4 years old and battery backup was around 1 hour.

The laptop boots fine from the AC adapter without battery and the charge indication is steady white light. Laptop also works fine on battery when the AC adapter is removed, but will not charge after AC adapter is connected back.

So, i bought new battery at a local store & inserted it to the laptop. The battery charged for 3-5 mins and again started to blink the orange light at charge indication.

Now, I got the schematics for this laptop model. But, I don't know which component is giving problems like this.

Have anybody experienced this kind of problem and if yes which is the component that I have to replace.

Thanks & Regards,
                                PRAVARDHAN U.S
                                Last edited by pravardhan85; 03-29-2017, 06:02 AM. Reason: Missed out some information

Comment

Working...
                                X