X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onkyo HT-R591 keeps clicking

This is the only one that I have found, which is 10A:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...135-ND/1014764
    Last edited by tibimakai; 10-07-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

It depends on how hot the transformer runs, but typically a transformer will have insulation rated at 160-170°C. Therefore, operating at 145°C continuously is very unlikely, due to the risk of damage to the insulation. A holding temp around 145°C±10°C is probably OK -- it's only for fault conditions where the amp is loaded at maximum power (~400W?) for a very long time, say several hours.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Did you ever determine what you needed on this unit? I have the HT-R591 that will not power up. Any ideas? I haven't taken it apart yet. So no I haven't checked anything yet.

Comment

It needed that fuse, inside the transformer.
          I have found some on Ebay.
          I have just cut out (3)those white plastic pieces, from the transformer and pulled out that fuse.
          I have installed the new fuse, with heat shrink tube.
          Last edited by tibimakai; 05-27-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Nice. Did you have any trouble soldering the fuse in?

Comment

No, it went easy. I even glued back, those white pieces that I have cut off.

Comment

Thanks. I'll be giving it a try.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect sort of an old thread but I'm having a similar issue to this one and I've checked the thermal fuse - OK. My receiver powers up eventually (after being plugged in 30 mins or more). But turns off and on rapidly and won't stop unless unplugged. The thermal fuse is showing closed circuit. The input on transformer is getting voltage and output is around 20v each coil. What should I be checking next?

Comment

Anyone?... Anyone...?... Bueller...?

Comment

Originally posted by r3ap3r911 View Post
                      Sorry to resurrect sort of an old thread but I'm having a similar issue to this one and I've checked the thermal fuse - OK. My receiver powers up eventually (after being plugged in 30 mins or more). But turns off and on rapidly and won't stop unless unplugged. The thermal fuse is showing closed circuit. The input on transformer is getting voltage and output is around 20v each coil. What should I be checking next?
                      Try checking the solder joints for a hairline crack around the joint. That sounds like a clear indication of a joint only making contact after warming up prior to start. Then after repeatedly losing contact as it cools while on, and then heating back up when the current breaks thus re-establishing power.
                      Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

How about other voltages, they are there?

Comment

Originally posted by chozo4 View Post
                          Try checking the solder joints for a hairline crack around the joint. That sounds like a clear indication of a joint only making contact after warming up prior to start. Then after repeatedly losing contact as it cools while on, and then heating back up when the current breaks thus re-establishing power.
                          Which joints are you referring to? At the transformer or just everywhere?.. Also what should my voltages be off the output of the main transformer? does around 20v each coil sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                            How about other voltages, they are there?
                            Not really sure where to meter and what voltages should be at? I'm a novice at working on these so forgive me in advance - Still in the learning stages.

Comment

I'm a beginner myself.
                              Do you have the service manual for this receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by r3ap3r911 View Post
                                Which joints are you referring to? At the transformer or just everywhere?
                                I would closely inspect every possible joint - at least around the fets/transistors. If a joint is suspect simply reflow the solder and continue inspecting the others.

Examples of such joints:
                                Attached Files
                                Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

I'm a beginner myself.
                                  Do you have the service manual for this receiver?
                                  Yes i have a digital copy of the manual

Comment

There are no voltages in there?
                                    I have no idea, what can cause that repeated clicking, but I would check the final transistors for short first.
                                    If there is voltage going to the amp(most likely + and - separate).

Comment

There are no voltages in there?
                                      I have no idea, what can cause that repeated clicking, but I would check the final transistors for short first.
                                      If there is voltage going to the amp(most likely + and - separate).
                                      OK, to check the final transistors do I have to remove them from the circuit or can I test them while still in circuit?

Comment

You don't have to remove them.
                                        Just use the ohm meter and see if any of the legs measurement shows short.
                                        If there is a short, usually they fail at one channel and it should be a pair of transistors that are shorted. If there are big white ceramic resistors near these final transistors, you should check those too for open circuits.

Comment

You don't have to remove them.
                                          Just use the ohm meter and see if any of the legs measurement shows short.
                                          If there is a short, usually they fail at one channel and it should be a pair of transistors that are shorted. If there are big white ceramic resistors near these final transistors, you should check those too for open circuits.
                                          Finally had a chance to take some readings.. looks like all the final transistors are good. And the white ceramic resistors in front of them all same reading of 0.2 ohm on one side and 0.5ohm in series. What else to check ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X