The Indestructible iMac G5 - Full Poly Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Indestructible iMac G5 - Full Poly Mod

This is phase 1 of a little series I'm trying on a few of these with different brands and values of polymers. I won't reveal the others until I try them out, but this mod was successful with the values used. This is the 10-dollar thrift store 20" Imac from THIS THREAD.

When I pre-tested this machine, it would power up, give me the 'chime', but would not display any video. The hard drive was missing from it as well. The machine specs are 2GHz processor, 2gb ram.

Here's the changes I made with the polymers, as to what I put in place of what, and where:

Here's just some pics showing the polies and my fantastic recapping job....I also recapped the PSU, even though it was a newer Delta build, the original caps were ok.....I figured what the hell, I'm in here....

Bird's eye view:

Caps in the corner by the RAM slots:

CPU Cluster:

VRM Inputs:

Graphics:

Going back together:

...and it POST's:

It's looking for the OS, which obviously isn't there......no HDD. I have no more spare SATA HDD's, I'll have to grab one and throw OSX on it to fully test it. So far, looks like a success! These ever-so-popular systems seem well worth the polymodding effort, I see a lot of them for repair. Based on the results of these experiments, I will soon offer a full polymer cap kit for these systems.
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: The Indestructible iMac G5 - Full Poly Mod

for testing stuff, i usually take old IDE HDDs and connect them up through SATA converters. they're below 10$..

but otherwise.. great job
    i knew you'd do something like this when you said "This one is going to be part of an experiment." in the other thread

Comment

Nice. I have never worked on macs before (they aren't too popular here since nobody sells them). Reminds me of the GA-7VA I Poly-modded (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9466). I have another one awaiting repairs. I might poly-mod it too.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Very interesting nice work Topcat.

Comment

awesome job...

my cousin just gave me a g5 17 inch..

she want me to pull her info off the hard drive and after that, it will likely be mine...

now i have something else to look forward too...

Comment

Figured a good way to test this was to put it in use......what better way than in my office! I robbed the HDD from my 17" imac and put it in the 20", it booted right up. So far, its been stable doing video playback and web browsing, its been running a couple hours so far.

here she be

Messy Desk

The 17" taking a rest for a while.
            Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Topcat,that's amazing,in your opinion,I've had a couple of Imac's that would chime,first two LEDS would light,but like yours,no video,I replaced all caps,but still no video,would faulty caps really influence the signal?,even on a mac with bloated caps the video would come on but with pixellated screen and curser.Great job BTW,I will be ordering the Polys when available!.

Comment

That motherboard looks awesome with those polys. Great work, Topcat.
                AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.0Ghz @ 3.5Ghz - ECS A780GM-A v1.0 - 4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 - 2 GB Kingston DDR2 800 Value - ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB - Windows 7 x64 - A bunch of hard drives

Comment

deckart -- I just saw this post... third LED confirms video computer and LCD are talking. No light, no video signal. If you have AHT (apple hardware test) CD, run it. If it shows 2NVD/1/4:2103 error, video ram is bad. Another way to confirm this is to boot in safe mode. If you get video, it's the ram. If you're lucky like Topcat, the video related caps will get you working again.

Comment

Very nice. I'm sorry now I recapped mine 4 months ago with Rubys (replacing same for same) - would have liked to have done this instead.

Comment

Hey TC - if a deal on Craigslist I just made doesn't turn out to be a flake, I will be buying a dead iMac G5 on Wednesday for $50. Expect an order for a G5 poly kit and a full report once I get the caps installed!

Comment

no details yet on how i got it, but i will have a poly'd g5 headed my way soon as well.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Damn, I just realized the fucker posted in the wrong city on craigslist - the imac is a 230 mile round trip away! Almost a full tank of gas ($28) in the Civic.

Is it worth the drive?

Comment

^
                            $75.00 for a G5 ($50 for the machine and $25 in fuel), that's still an absolute steal even if its only a 17". If it's a 20", its a mega steal!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

what generation/size?

if it is a gen 3, it was a bad call from day one- the kit is not for gen 3

if gen 1, depends on size ind what it has installed.

if gen 2, and all is installed, sure.

your call...

i hate f-tards who do that... like ebay n00bs who post stiff in the wrong section...

edit-tc beat me to the punch... just keep in mind it is a gamble... if more than bad caps are wrong, then you are screwed.
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna go for it. These things go on CL around here for $300-$400. The potential to fix it and then flip it for profit outweighs the risk of it needing more than just a simple recap.

Comment

^
                                  If you're just going to fix and flip, I wouldn't use the poly kit. Just do it in lytics, cheaper that way.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

I was thinking the same. Kinda 50/50 between keeping it and flipping, can't decide. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Comment

He flaked. We agreed on $50, then he stopped replying to my emails, called twice and no answer.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for another dead G5, and when I do, If I decide to keep vs. flip I'm going to poly mod it with a kit from TC .

Comment

mine came in.

it is the badcaps.net poly mod #3. it is a 17"

the solder work was done by topcat and i attest it works great.

how i got it will be secret unless topcat says how.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X