Bad caps damaged my system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps damaged my system?

Hello all. I found this forum after researching some things about capacitors when I found they were the likely cause for the computer problems I've been having. I just want to ask you well-versed members whether or not I have additional problems to worry about, and if my motherboard is worth fixing (I have no soldering supplies so I'd need to buy everything).

Anyway, I bought this computer used about a month ago and it's been working fine up until two nights ago.

When I booted my computer that morning, windows stalled during boot (with the windows xp logo and the loading bar). I rebooted and windows told me that it didn't start successfully, possibly because of a hardware/software change. (I hadn't changed anything) I booted Windows normmaly and everything seemed to be ok.

Then I tried to play a game (Prototype), but it froze 5 seconds after loading. So, hoping it was just the game, I started up TF2 which also froze after 5 seconds. At this point I guessed something aws wrong with my video card but after troubleshooting (even put in a different card) I realized that wasn't the cause.

It was late so I shut off the computer for the night figuring I could try again tomorrow. But now when I turned on my computer it wouldn't POST, and the PSU and HDD lights didn't come on. However, the fans started running and the internal light in the PSU came on. The debug LED on my mobo stopped at 23 (which my manual says means the chipset registers are being programmed) and doesn't display any other numbers.

So by this point I'm getting frustrated, and I opened my case and took a long, hard look at all the components. Lo and behold I found no less than 3 wet electolytic capacitors to have burst. I took a couple pictures:

So, could the bad capacitors have caused all these symptoms my computer is exhibiting? Can I just replace the mobo or do I need to get a whole new computer? Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I provided as much info as possible. Speaking of info, here are my specs:

BIOSTAR TForce590SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

HIPER Type R II HPU-5B880 880W Continuous @ 40°C (Maximum Continuous Peak: 1040W) ATX12V V2.2 & EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

PNY VCG88512GXPB GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks a lot guys.

Re: Bad caps damaged my system?

bleh saicon FZ capacitors.
    replace all above 330uf
    and see what happens.
    if it posts then ok
    if it doesnt then something else damaged
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Do you mean replace those three busted ones with 330uf capacitors?
      Last edited by MrPockets; 07-12-2009, 02:59 PM.

Comment

no i meant replace any of this brand rated above 330uf with same voltage/capacitance
        FZ is total shit
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

yeah, recap every bad brand one. caps often fail without visible signs.

Biostar=s***ty caps

pm topcat for caps or if outside usa/canada, order some good rubycon. nichicon (make sure they are new and not pre-2004!), nippon/united chemicon, panasonic, sanyo, or samxon caps. i personally use topcat's rubycons- they cost more but are built to last. samxons are good too if you are on a really tight budget.

brands to avoid: OST (might be good nowdays but not confirmed), I.Q., Teapo/tayeh, rulycon (fake rubycon), wendell, tms, g-luxon, gloria, gsc/evercon/sacon (you already know about the last one), l-tec, lelon, fuhjyuu, y. j., jamicon, nova, and worst of all, YC (planet).

if you buy off ebay, be sure to post a link before buying. there are a lot of fakes out there, be careful.

dont by form radio shack, they dont carry low/ultra low ESR caps, xicon doesnt either so also avoid them.

have fun and be safe! if you have a clue on what to do, then you will be fine
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Aren't BIOSTAR T-series boards supposed to be using premium solid caps ?

Maybe they got market share by starting off that way, then cheapened the build
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
              Aren't BIOSTAR T-series boards supposed to be using premium solid caps ?
              You're right the Biostar Tforce 590SLI says on its box that these are solid capacitors and they make a big deal out of it. I'm not sure if there is polymer or lytic inside, though.

I bought this motherboard a few months ago to build a cheap machine. My first one was DOA and second one died after a month of use. Looking closer, I saw that about 10 of my Sacon FZ caps were blown.

I followed this other thread and ended up getting some lytic capacitors to replace them, but I damaged the motherboard in my anger during soldering and I never got that motherboard to work again. Thankfully Biostar replaced that motherboard and gave me another one exactly the same. Guess what, after one week of use this morning two of the caps exploded with a loud thump!

So, this time I want to ask your help to get the right replacement caps. Here are the specs for the blown caps:

Sacon FZ 68, 1000uF, 6.3V, ESR=36mOhm, Ripple=1150 mA rms

This is according to the Sacon FZ datasheet I found that above forum about VGA cards. However, these FZ68 specs were for lytic capacitors, although mine are solid caps. Do they have the same ratings? I cannot find a datasheet for these solid cap FZ68 1000uF 6.3V caps.

If so, I found at Mouser two caps that seem to match the ratings and dimensions:
              1. Lelon Organic Conductive Polymer Caps (OCRZ) datasheet
                6.3V (0J), 1000uF, leak=1260uA, D=8mmxL=12mm, ESR=8, RC=5500
              2. Nichion Functional Polymer Aluminum Solid Electrolytic Caps (FCAP) datasheet
                RR70J102MND1, 6.3V, 1000uF, leak=820uA, D=10mmxL=12.5mm, ESR=7, RC=6100

Which one out of these two would you recommend? Do you think I got my specs correctly?

Thanks!!!

Comment

There is no such thing as a solid sacon FZ. They are electrolytics in disguise. Replace them with these
                Last edited by c_hegge; 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by cengique View Post
                  I followed this other thread and ended up getting some lytic capacitors to replace them,
                  BTW, the lytic caps I purchased last time were Nichion UHM0J102MPD3 1000uF, 6.3V, leak=189uA, ripple=1140mA

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    I see 1000uF 6.3V sacon FZs there. Replace them with these
                    Thanks for the quick reply! So you're suggesting lytic capacitors to replace these solids. The one you suggested is the Nichion HM series look exactly like what I ordered last time from Mouser (Nichion UHM0J102MPD3 1000uF, 6.3V, leak=189uA, ripple=1140mA, datasheet). Do you agree?

Anyway, I will try to place an order soon through the link you gave since you guys have been so informative!

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      There is no such thing as a solid sacon FZ. They are electrolytics in disguise.
                      Oh, I just saw you said this. You must have edited your post after I read it. This make sense now. Thanks!

Comment

I did edit it. My initial response was actually to the first post (I didn't notice the 2009 date on it). The caps I initially suggested are the same as the ones I suggested from mouser. I just changed it because I got the impression you would prefer to order from there. Sorry about the confusion
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                        X