Original xbox usb mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Original xbox usb mod

A xbox has a RISC-to-x86 IBM PowerPC 3.2ghz tri core processor with a special ati xenos video card. It only has 10mb of video ram, and shares the other 512mb of GDDR3 @ 700mhz system ram as needed.

The video card in it is not particularly fast (when I play gta4 on my 1080p or 720p monitor, I can notice the fps difference between mine and my friend's on standard definition), most xbox games are much more cpu driven than a normal pc game is. This is why you need a fast processor no matter what video card you have with ported xbox games like gta4.

When the xbox 360 came out, it was pretty fast compared to high end pc's at that time, and considering you are getting something that plays gta4, halo 3, l4d (2), forza motorsports, cod (4, 5, 4 #2), gears of war (2), and countless other great games for about $300, its a pretty good deal.

But thats about all it can do, other than stream movies (costs monies though,)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
      i was referring to those who DONT have 1-2k to drop on a pc.

besides, a console is geared towards games, a pc does it all. as they say, "jack of all trades, master of nothing"

ill keep my 100% free torcs, thank you.
      First of all, my machine was $650. Not anywhere near "1-2k". Second of all, I don't give a fuck that the PC is "jack of all trades, master of none". It still beats the 360 in terms of graphics, which was your original argument. Quit dismissing PC's as gaming machines. That's what they are to many people.

Comment

in my ~10 computer years, i have spent about 2k, maybe 2.5 on my main computer and its "reincarnations"(laptop excluded) IN TOTAL.
        that's all. i'm 2 years or so behind the current stuff.
        yet there's not a single game i haven't been able to play so far.
        if you're going for all the latest eye-candy though, it costs you a lot.
        but why should i? better graphics don't make a game any better.
        besides, there are better ways to spend your money. beer or drugs or books for example.
        "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
          A xbox has a RISC-to-x86 IBM PowerPC 3.2ghz tri core processor with a special ati xenos video card. It only has 10mb of video ram, and shares the other 512mb of GDDR3 @ 700mhz system ram as needed.

The video card in it is not particularly fast (when I play gta4 on my 1080p or 720p monitor, I can notice the fps difference between mine and my friend's on standard definition), most xbox games are much more cpu driven than a normal pc game is. This is why you need a fast processor no matter what video card you have with ported xbox games like gta4.

When the xbox 360 came out, it was pretty fast compared to high end pc's at that time, and considering you are getting something that plays gta4, halo 3, l4d (2), forza motorsports, cod (4, 5, 4 #2), gears of war (2), and countless other great games for about $300, its a pretty good deal.

But thats about all it can do, other than stream movies (costs monies though,)
          that and the 360 is the best media center extender!

Comment

Are you referring to original Xbox? The CPU itself for Xbox is based on pentium III redesigned to specialized purpose.

The 360 is completely different machine.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

The original XBOX has a 733 Pentium 3 based CPU. It has half the L2 cache like a Celeron, but the full 133 bus like a full P3 of the time. Basically just a Celeron with a fast bus. Otherwise there's nothing special about it.

The XBOX 360 has a PowerPC based CPU. It cannot execute x86 code at all other than with an emulator. It's normal execution units are very simple, conceptually similar to an Atom CPU. However it has very powerful SIMD units. It has 3 cores and each core handles two threads. To the "OS" it appears to be a 6 core CPU. The cores all run at 3.2 GHz, with the L2 running at half speed. For math heavy but low branching code like games it's very fast, but if it was running more general code it wouldn't be that good. It also has a small amount of built in RAM and ROM to hold the 360's bootloader and game DRM system.

Comment

My upgrade didn't cost more than $300 either. CPU/RAM/Video and power supply. If starting from scratch you could probably spend $500 and get a mostly modern machine. An XBOX 360 costs close enough to that, and you have to buy the games. Plus they break because of BGA issues. Original XBOX was awesome compared to the current incarnation.

Lots of games are console only though.

Comment

now that' more clear. as I consider Xbox the Xbox if someone talking about 360, better refer by that not Xbox name. Causes confusion.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                    First of all, my machine was $650. Not anywhere near "1-2k". Second of all, I don't give a fuck that the PC is "jack of all trades, master of none". It still beats the 360 in terms of graphics, which was your original argument. Quit dismissing PC's as gaming machines. That's what they are to many people.
                    why should i. a lot of people call a powmax a great psu. does that make it a good psu? HELL NO!!!

once, a lot of people called the earth flat. that was wrong. long ago, people thought tobbaco use made you live longer. wrong again!

just because a lot of people think something is the case does not make it correct.

this thread was about controller mods, not pc vs xbox 360. dont hijack the thread.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                      My upgrade didn't cost more than $300 either. CPU/RAM/Video and power supply. If starting from scratch you could probably spend $500 and get a mostly modern machine. An XBOX 360 costs close enough to that, and you have to buy the games. Plus they break because of BGA issues. Original XBOX was awesome compared to the current incarnation.

Lots of games are console only though.
                      remeber that i said the xbox at the goodwill was dead and it smelled burnt. and my friends was a cooling failure as well. the orginal xbox also used a bga attached cpu.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                        why should i. a lot of people call a powmax a great psu. does that make it a good psu? HELL NO!!!

once, a lot of people called the earth flat. that was wrong. long ago, people thought tobbaco use made you live longer. wrong again!

just because a lot of people think something is the case does not make it correct.

this thread was about controller mods, not pc vs xbox 360. dont hijack the thread.
                        lol yeah that's a good point. powmax... too late though, your thread's already been hijacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                          now that' more clear. as I consider Xbox the Xbox if someone talking about 360, better refer by that not Xbox name. Causes confusion.

Cheers, Wizard

Ya i noticed I said xbox instead of xbox 360

What I hated about the original xbox is that if you got a earlier version, you got the slow one with only 64mb ram. Later ones got up to 128mb. CD drives in those sucked too, we sent ours back twice in the past 4 years, now it's out of warranty, and can't play any games or dvd's. Psh.

(like I use it anymore, my 360 plays most xbox games, just not some of the less popular ones I loved, like Time Splitters FP)

Comment

Dude I'm not trying to hijack your thread, all I'm saying is that you need to quit this "if you want graphics, buy a console" BS you love to spew.

Comment

no, om saying that a console is a better deal. thats all.
                              sigpic

Comment

No, you're saying PC's are useless as a gaming platform.

Comment

And a console is not a better deal. A pc is still more powerful, sorry to burst your bubble.

With a console, developers have a set target so they optimize the hell out of their code. Look at GTA:SA PC vs XBOX. The PC version definitely had more detail.

The console makers take cream of the crop tech at a point in time and then you are stuck until the next refresh. PC graphics beat the console either at launch or a couple of months after.

Comment

remember that if you cannot afford it, then it is not a good deal (for you). keep that in mind

since the thread got hijacked, im starting a new thread about the usb mod, now that the 4th has been modded and i took pictures along the way.

enjoy!
                                    sigpic

Comment

So $298 Xbox or $300 for a PC? Before the 360 was more. Plus you have to buy all the games. The money doesn't work out. You can get as much or more computer for the same price as the 360. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be buying expensive things that only play expensive games vs a computer which does more.

Comment

300 for a pc that can't keep up... please compare gaming computer vs console. not shitty computer vs console

btw, the new thread is @ https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...4602#post84602

hang on until the 3rd section on testing is finished. so far parts 1 and 2 are done
                                        sigpic

Comment

3rd section finished.

enjoy!
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X