Asus A53SJ-SK230V stuck..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus A53SJ-SK230V stuck..

Buy a bios programmer at first, reprogram the bios, try to attach post card to LPC, see how much current is drawn...
    Blind cooking of the mainboard should be last resort, not to mention that this kind of repair does not last for long. The faulty chips should be replaced to make it last.

Comment

thx khaahk, I'll try to find a programmer.
      Cooking is really the last resort for me, since I don't know what to cook and the whole board is risky with the plastic components
      Last edited by hansie55; 12-28-2014, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sparker1 View Post
        dellXPS15 - This is the power jack with the solder connection at the back of it. I had one that had an almost invisible crack where it goes from the MB and joins the jack. It is a bad design as when you push in an adapter it pushes that pin away and it eventually cracks. My board did the same and made intermittent connection when it was manipulated.
        Originally posted by tibd View Post
        If you move the power cord and it works on battery then its not the power jack. Check the first two mosfet on Vin line for shorts or the charger chip.
        reply to both together:

i tried refresh solder, but same result happened. problem lies in the central pin to dc jack connection that must have some crack inside.

to tibd: they are not mosfet. if i move psu cable inside dc jack, i got voltage, so problem is inside dc jack.

Comment

Originally posted by khaahk View Post
          Buy a bios programmer at first, reprogram the bios, try to attach post card to LPC, see how much current is drawn...
          Blind cooking of the mainboard should be last resort, not to mention that this kind of repair does not last for long. The faulty chips should be replaced to make it last.
          I completely agree that a reflow is a last resort..

But I am constrained to point out that, in the case where reflows work best, there are no "faulty" chips.. It's a matter of the motherboard overheating to the point that the solder that connects the GPU to the MB have liquified and become disconnected..

HPs are notorious for this fault but, to be fair, they have gotten better..

Generally speaking, any laptop will overheat and produce this symptom if one uses it on their lap, a carpet, bed or any other location that blocks airflow up to and including not "clearing the baffles" of dust and pet hair on a regular basis....

It's not a question of faulty components, it's a question of the components disconnecting from the MB..

At least, in the specific instance of the symptoms originally described..

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
            I completely agree that a reflow is a last resort..

But I am constrained to point out that, in the case where reflows work best, there are no "faulty" chips.. It's a matter of the motherboard overheating to the point that the solder that connects the GPU to the MB have liquified and become disconnected..

HPs are notorious for this fault but, to be fair, they have gotten better..

Generally speaking, any laptop will overheat and produce this symptom if one uses it on their lap, a carpet, bed or any other location that blocks airflow up to and including not "clearing the baffles" of dust and pet hair on a regular basis....

It's not a question of faulty components, it's a question of the components disconnecting from the MB..

At least, in the specific instance of the symptoms originally described..
            What I also suspect, is problems what I had with SSD drive. this was a corsair performance 3, which has the known problem of jamming during operation or when put in sleeping mode. Result, restart the laptop the hard way by disconnecting the power (no battery installed) or switch of.
            When this is done a lot of times, suddenly the laptop start acting up and showing the previous mentionned faults.
            This is not a supported technical statement, it's just a feeling I have

Comment

Its call discharging the board.

Its voodooo and know there is voodoo .
              I think i saw almost all brands acting voodoo on discharging .

If you dont cook the board untill next week ill make a tutorial for you
              Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

thx dj_ricoh. I'll wait for the tutorial,

Comment

I think, that the reflow is the last chance. If you do not have a great equipment and the fault is in another place, it becomes very difficult to understand if the reflow has been successful or have damaged the chip. From my experience to make a good reflow you need a good soldering station, because the temperatures, especially for lead free are very critical. I have read on the use of an infrared thermometer, it is important that it is dedicated to this use, and is very expensive. An ordinary infrared thermometer has problems interpreting the refraction of the materials of a motherboard or a chip, the error is also 10 15 degrees centigrade.
                  My advice is to try first with the bios, then analyzing the voltages of the card excluding the video card and the vram without desoldering the chip.

Comment

Thx Jasko, reflow can be a bitch.
                    Will try bios first although I do not know how.
                    Laptop does not have F12 to choose boot device, you have to do that everytime in the bios settings.
                    Now when I want to recover bios via usb stick, it looks like system don't know to go there, and I can't tell him. (No screen and no post) so I have to see to get a usb floppy or cd I think

Comment

Originally posted by hansie55 View Post
                      Thx Jasko, reflow can be a bitch.
                      Will try bios first although I do not know how.
                      Laptop does not have F12 to choose boot device, you have to do that everytime in the bios settings.
                      There might be an option to turn on/off the F12 Boot in the BIOS settings..

I believe ASUSes (ASUSii?? ASUSium???) have the option to do that...

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand. Is this a command? If so, that can not be given, since the system doesn't post.

Comment

in most cases when the system don't start, the bios upgrade with usb don't work.
                          The only way, is desolder the bios chip and reprogram it with external equipment.
                          There are some service on the web that make this, but you must be able to desolder the chip without damage the routes.

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
                            in most cases when the system don't start, the bios upgrade with usb don't work.
                            The only way, is desolder the bios chip and reprogram it with external equipment.
                            There are some service on the web that make this, but you must be able to desolder the chip without damage the routes.
                            Point taken.

Comment

Solved.
                              Sold laptop for parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X