Dell D610

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell D610

Gentlemen, I received a mint condition Dell D610. running windows XP pro. I plugged it in and booted it up, so far so good. After a few seconds I loose the top USB port, then in about 20 min later I loose the second USB port, also the touch pad, can't move the cursor at all. Everything else seems to work perfectly. Complete nube here so please be patient. What to try first? Is it a hard drive problem or something else. The drivers are all up to date. It does work for a few seconds after boot up. Any help would be appreciated. Would like to try and fix for a needy family. I know it's old and not worth anything.

Re: Dell D610

The quickest way of working out if it is a hardware or software problem is to boot the laptop from a linux cd.

Comment

Where can I locate one, what does it cost. This computer really has no value, so putting alot of money into it is not cost effective. trying to fix for a family that lost everything to a fire. Thanks for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by rccrasher65 View Post
        Where can I locate one, what does it cost. This computer really has no value, so putting alot of money into it is not cost effective. trying to fix for a family that lost everything to a fire. Thanks for your response.
        maybe here looks like its free not sure if any linux version will work?
        http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%...%20Started.htm

Comment

Thanks Vince, I'll check that out. what is puzzling is that the computer works well some times and then after like 20 min nada. I loose the usb ports, all 4 of them+touch pad also. have to use power button to shut down.

Comment

Im a nube too at laptop repairs, i can do basics ie upgrades and clean fans re apply artic siver to cpu etc and change screens/keyboards etc but fault finding mother board issues im still reading up on the common faults and what tests to run etc so i will follow this thread too.

Comment

Does the D610 run hot?

Comment

Steve, yes like a furnace.That was my next move to clean up fan and reapply AS5, and see what happens. this model known getting hot.

Comment

Do a complete cleanup and reapply thermal paste, also replace any thermal pads with new ones.

Unfortunately, loss of peripherals sounds like a southbridge issue, which requires rather involved repair and tools to fix. Not worth it on such an old laptop. If issues persist, your best bet is to source a replacement used motherboard for cheap.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

What is a southbridge issue. I have all the tools, hot air , preheater, solderstation ect. just not the know how. please explain. i'll look into board, but I do realize its an old laptop, but If repairable, its for a family that has lost everything to a fire. something is better than nothing at all, and I have the time to work on it for now. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Do a complete cleanup and reapply thermal paste, also replace any thermal pads with new ones.

Unfortunately, loss of peripherals sounds like a southbridge issue, which requires rather involved repair and tools to fix. Not worth it on such an old laptop. If issues persist, your best bet is to source a replacement used motherboard for cheap.
                      Well, It seems that you are right, what I found was no thermal paste , and pads completely dried out to dust, cleaned and replaced, It definately doesn't run HOT anymore, but the damage has been done. I loose the USB ports still. The top 2 side and back after about a couple of min. Then bottom 2 after 20 min or so. Well if anybody has a replacement mother board for this let me know. Thanks

Comment

If you have a hot air tool and preheater try reflowing the southbridge chipset, but it's a long shot. Intel chipsets rarely develop bad/intermittent solder joints. If they fail, they fail internally and the chip usually needs to be replaced with a new one.
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try, but not expecting anything. Looking for a replacement motherboard, anybody got one? PM me.

Comment

I found a replacement motherboard for 15.00 What do I have to do to prepare for the exchange of boards. Just a nube here, never did this before. Thanks guys.

Comment

This has all you need: Dell D610 Service Manual. It should not require more than a Philips #0 screwdriver and fresh thermal paste for the CPU.

Comment

Thanks, All your advice and help has been much appreciated.

Comment

Update, All is well with the Dell D610. I replaced the motherboard, and reassembled, no problems, only thing I forgot to do was backup all the programs that were on hard drive, so I really don't have them anymore, but just like a new computer. I guess It will be ok for what the family will need it for. thanks again for all the help guys.

Comment

yey another dinosaur DELL save from scrap
                                    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Working...
                                    X