Westinghouse LD-4655VX - My First LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse LD-4655VX - My First LED

Yes we can complain as much as we want, but the profit will be always king.

Comment

I am personally in favour of a minimum 5 year warranty and enforced buy-back programs on faulty electronics. Operation of both will be expensive if electronics are unreliably made, so hopefully it will lead to improvements in reliability.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I agree with you, at least 5 years.
        I have noticed that in Europe, you guys have two years warranties.
        Here in the US, we have only one year.

Comment

In Europe, the 2 year warranty only applies on certain goods, and the onus is on the customer to prove the goods are faulty, in my opinion that is bad, because most customers wouldn't even know where to start. In fact there's only a minimum of 6 months legally required in the UK; most stores provide 12 months as a courtesy, but they aren't required to do that.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWM-20624-RI...item33759fbb19
            Last edited by landyboy; 05-20-2013, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I just bought four of these:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=221117078010
              Just in case I break them while trying to route them

Comment

Wow, those are expensive cables.

Comment

I only buy the cheapest electronics, in the hope that they make less money off me,(sony looses money for every set it sells so any set you buy hurts them ) and everytime we fix something / help someone fix something were keeping more money out of all these companies hands that continue to produce the sets with intended 2-5 year life spans.
                  Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

I don't buy ANY electronics new if I can get it faulty or used, I will wait. AV amplifiers, TVs, computers, laptops, etc. I do not wish to support the throwaway culture.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                      Wow, those are expensive cables.
                      Any extras are just gonna go right back on eBay

Comment

I like to get new stuff(or refurbished), it feels good to open a brand new item's box.
                        With the next purchase, I will go Tom's way. I have picked up a Harman Kardon AVR1700 broken receiver from Ebay for $48.xx shipped. I need it in my living room.
                        I hope, that I will get some help from you guys fixing it.

Comment

Theres always lots of used receivers in "protection mode". Id been considering picking one up, but I honestly make use of very few electronics I own other then my computer.
                          Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

Great info everyone. I have put off opening my TV for about a week and noticed the same thing with the ribbon and darkness. A quick google search and here I am. I will try to fix it like everyone else.

Comment

May I take a minute of everyone's time and say thank you for sharing your info?
                              Our LD-4655VX has gone through the usual power supplies, but this last time it wouldn't fire up.
                              I found the shorted ribbon cable as described on the first page and fixed our television much to my family's delight! (and mine)

My ribbon cable had shorted out and melted the one wire so it was easy to find.
                              I insulated the other side too while I was in there since it looked like it was about to short out as well!

Thanks again everyone!
                              Dan

Comment

Did you replace the cable or did you reuse the the burnt one??

Comment

Thank you all for sharing this info! A friend of mine has the misfortune of owning one of these sets. Same basic problem as the original poster, mangled ribbon cable(s). I dismantled the unit as Kevin did, removing only the plate by the LVDS board and the black plastic, to reveal just about exactly what he illustrated in post #19.

An ebay search revealed the only seller who had long enough cables was shipping from Thailand and had a 2 week lead time. OEM cables are no longer available as per the local tv shop (where I worked for around a year) owner. Generic equivalents were a week lead time (or more if backordered) and cost $45.

Not wanting to wait or pay, I decided to try to repair the original cables. I was successful, but there was much work involved. The original cables were stuck to the steel shell with double-sided tape, so to get enough slack, I had to pretty much separate the whole lcd panel from its shell. The LED strips are attached to the shell, not to the panel. Once separated, I simply cut the cables back past the mangled end and shaved the plastic on the printed side down enough to expose the conductive traces below. I cut the blue plastic tabs off the bad ends and super-glued them on the new ends. Line and line, wiggle wiggle, presto! The new ends may or may not make the first time. I had to disconnect and reconnect the left cable a couple of times before it made a perfect connection. I wrapped the aluminum LED channel with sports tape before reassembly, and I didn't have to chop any plastic or anything.

If you are going to try this, take your time! There are three different types of screws holding the panel together. Find a buddy to help flip the panel front to back a couple of times and be careful! These things are made of paper thin plastic, glass, and sheet metal like a cheap screen door. Take lots of pictures if you don't have a photographic memory. Everything has to go back together the same as it came apart or something will break.

Now that it is repaired, the unit has an awesome picture! Looking at the unit from the outside, and viewing the picture quality, is very misleading. It would be super easy for me to justify a purchase of one of these tv's if it was sandwiched between more expensive models on the showroom floor. Buyer beware! There's no such thing as a free lunch.
                                  Last edited by jeff5may; 06-24-2013, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Anyone know where I can get two of these ribbons for this TV? All the listings on here are sold out. I'm going to replace both while I have it apart.

Thanks,

Aaron

Comment

Found more from Thailand. Certainly someone has a 2' long one in the US somewhere.

Comment

I JUST picked up a 47" off Craigslist tonight for $50 that had the same problem and I was able to fix it tonight in about 2 hours.

I just reused the old ribbon cables by cutting off the damaged end, placing tape on the metal bar that cut it the first time, and cut holes in the plastic above the cable so it doesn't get pinched again.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt6 View Post
                                          Anyone know where I can get two of these ribbons for this TV? All the listings on here are sold out. I'm going to replace both while I have it apart.

Thanks,

Aaron
                                          PM me I have an extra. Same day US shipping.

Comment

Working...
                                          X