Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this? (Samsung SyncMaster 957p CRT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this? (Samsung SyncMaster 957p CRT)

Someone was cleaning his basement and gave me that 19" CRT.

It is working, it has very good image quality, it's not a Trinitron unfortunately.

I opened it to check the caps and the build quality. The caps are Samyoung / no name, not a single cap is made in Japan.

I would like your opinion about that thing:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1352218675

Is it a magnet?
    Attached Files

Re: What is this? (Samsung SyncMaster 957p CRT)

Nice score!

Yes, I *think* that thing is indeed a magnet. Most likely it was added to fine-tune the convergence or something similar after manufacturing. I've seen similar "fridge-like" magnets in other monitors, so I'm only guessing that that's what it is.

That SyncMaster 957p looks (externally) almost exactly like the 955DF minus the non-flat screen. Perhaps this was the 955DF's predecessor.

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
    it's not a Trinitron unfortunately.
    That's not necessarily a bad thing. Shadow mask monitors usually have better focus than Trinitrons. I'm really happy with the picture quality and focus on my 955DF. In fact, it's my favorite monitor among my other monitors. It's got brighter blacks than I'd like, but other than that, the contrast and focus are superb.

I don't think the capacitors will give you any trouble. I have put close to 2000 hours of use on mine and I got it 2nd (or 3rd?) hand, so who knows how many more it's had. If they were to go, they should have done so by now because mine runs miserably hot in the summer.

Just a curious question, what's the manufacturing date on your 957p?
    Last edited by momaka; 11-11-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

You are correct, they are weak magnet for helping the convergence adjustment of the electron beams. I am so glad that I do not have to do any more convergence adjustment on CRT any more since I do not work on them any more, especially when you have to install new CRT, you can easily spend hours doing it.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

Just a curious question, what's the manufacturing date on your 957p?

Summer/Autumn 2003. I can't remember the exact month right now

Btw the day I collected that monitor I also got a 21" Sanyo CRT TV!

The thing has seen better days.. The brightness was too low and the image did not fit the entire screen.

It is an 80s TV, made in ~1982, I assume this from the datecodes of the capacitors. All the caps are Jamicon and Rubycon and there is only 1 Capxon. The TV was serviced in 2001 (there was a note on the PCB) and they probably used the Capxon as a replacement cap.

I checked ALL the caps with the esr micro meter (took me hours, there must be more than 60 capacitors in there) and found 3 bad/going bad. After replacing the 3 caps with good ones, the brightness improved dramatically and the image fitted the screen perfectly

But the screen had serious focus problems too - I could hardly read the subtitles... I took a screwdriver and played with the focus setting of the fly-back transformer. Having never done this before, I have to admit I was a bit afraid, who wants to be zapped with 30.000 Volts?

It improved a lot, but still it is not sharp. The colours are not great, but acceptable, especially for a TV of that age.

I could post some pictures if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
          Summer/Autumn 2003. I can't remember the exact month right now
          Interesting.
          So the 957p is newer than the 955DF (mine was manufactured April of 2002). I wonder why they switched to the curvy tube then.

I checked ALL the caps with the esr micro meter (took me hours, there must be more than 60 capacitors in there) and found 3 bad/going bad. After replacing the 3 caps with good ones, the brightness improved dramatically and the image fitted the screen perfectly
          Were any of the bad ones CapXons by any chance?

I could post some pictures if you like.
          I don't mind either way. I like CRTs, so I never say no.

Originally posted by budm
          I am so glad that I do not have to do any more convergence adjustment on CRT any more since I do not work on them any more, especially when you have to install new CRT, you can easily spend hours doing it.
          Meh, I wish I caught the time when CRT repair was still popular. I give my respect to oldschool analog techs any day!

Comment

Interesting.
            So the 957p is newer than the 955DF (mine was manufactured April of 2002). I wonder why they switched to the curvy tube then.
            It is possible that the 957p was the more affordable 19" Samsung CRT at that time.

Were any of the bad ones CapXons by any chance?
            The 3 bad ones were 2 Jamicon and 1 Rubycon. All the caps on that TV were 85°C. I believe heat and time killed them.

I don't mind either way. I like CRTs, so I never say no.
            Here... Take a look.

Btw I used Chemicon KY, Nichicon He and Lelon as replacement caps. Lelon was the only cap I had in stock at 1000uF, 63V.

Meh, I wish I caught the time when CRT repair was still popular. I give my respect to oldschool analog techs any day!
            I am a fan of CRTs too. Back at those days they tried for better and better image quality and built things to last, not cheaper and cheaper LCD monitors, that fail just right after the warranty expires.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by goodpsusearch; 11-11-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I fondly remember the Dell CRT I used for a while - the thing had great picture quality!
              Mom made me get rid of it
              Now I'm happy with 3x22" LCDs

But CRT never had dead pixel and a little impact to the front didn't cause damage

Comment

Working...
              X