When Mods go Bad... Lenovo P400 USB FAIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Mods go Bad... Lenovo P400 USB FAIL

This mod documents my attempt and FAILURE at adding an internal USB port to my Lenovo p400:

The idea: I was tired of burning a USB port on my Lenovo P400 for my Logitech unifying adapter for my M705 mouse... and I knew it had an empty silkscreen for a mini-PCIe:

So, what if I added a USB port internally using the USB data connections of the slot? It's a common mod on eee-pc's...

So, after finding an "appropriate" 5V supply using a multimeter on the 5V of a USB port, I add in the connector and glue it down (also to insulate the shield)

It looks so perfect:

I plug in the battery, and ... I smell failure!

Turns out the "5v" I found is actually an always on 15V! The smell was the unifying dongle going to logitech heaven:

I then probed the USB 3.0 port and found an actual 5V to tie into:

Still, the port is dead... I tried another dongle... my guess is either that port 's data lines went bad when the dongle fried (all other ports seem fine, even the BT on the other PCIe slot) or it's disabled in BIOS (it's a lenovo, probably so). Or maybe not connected at all. All I do know is nothing's shorted. Damn my luck

I feel so ****ing stupid... in the mean time, I ordered a fresh unifying adapter on fleabay... and I left the hack port in, since IMHO it's riskier trying to unglue it.

This Lenovo has been the most mod-resistant thing ever... I'll never buy a Lenovo again... (unless they change their ways or it's a REALLY good deal).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ratdude747; 12-27-2013, 01:02 AM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: When Mods go Bad... Lenovo P400 USB FAIL

You know they say to measure 3 times and cut once... In this case, it's measure 3 times and solder once.

Not to say i haven't done my fair share of stupid things when working with electronics, but over time i've developed the habit of being paranoid with the measurements, and measuring something even when i'm sure what it is. You should do the same, too.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Do they not make http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261303003900?lpid=82 ??

Edit: nevermind, it would have been harder to put a mini PCI-Express port.
      Last edited by shovenose; 12-27-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

That is why you should always test voltages before testing the equipment.. :P
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          Do they not make http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261303003900?lpid=82 ??

Edit: nevermind, it would have been harder to put a mini PCI-Express port.
          Also no card mounts... And I'd be out of thickness to occupy.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
          X