nVidia GPU meltdown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nVidia GPU meltdown.

i learned about the GPU meltdown epidemic last year when someone gave me a Dell that was afflicted.

i was wondering if its feasable to cut the power to the GPU via surgery
    and run the machine as a drone via remote desktop such as VNC?

Re: nVidia GPU meltdown.

No. You need the GPU in order to boot.

Either replace the mainboard or part it out (I assume it's a laptop).
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Some Dells with a G8x/G9x GPU will have an MXM-like module for the GPU. It's not quite MXM, so you can't just swap it, but I'd reckon that you could keep switching the Dell proprietary GPU modules, but that would be kind of expensive.

For the ones with the integrated GPU, people actually buy G8x/G9x chips and change them. It's a lot of work though for a laptop which I can't imagine to be worth more than $200.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

any software tricks to hibernate the GPU?

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          Some Dells with a G8x/G9x GPU will have an MXM-like module for the GPU.
          Was it both the 9xxx and 8xxx series that were affected or just the 8xxx series?
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Both. At the end of the G9x's production, nVidia claimed that they had already fixed G9x (And released a memo to that effect, indicating part numbers that had been fixed), but this turned out to be a lie.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

You could try reflowing it with a heat gun or in an oven, since it's not working now the worst you can get is that it still won't work.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
              X