Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung PN60E530A3F 60" Plasma. Power Up Samsung Tones No Display

Originally posted by Hamie View Post
    If you unplug the ysus does the VE go to 98?

Nope... With the YSUS unplugged, VE does the same.. Starts off at around 6v and then tops out at around 11v

Comment

Originally posted by maxvalutech View Post
      Yes hard to imagine that three would be at same fault. What is year model of set, 2013? The voltages are the lifeblood and must show up to activate the functions. Ps-on and Vs-on normally first going 5v to zero and other going zero to about 3.3v should activate the power board which may require a load for the latter?? Anyone?? But certainly the audio should output and be available in operation. Let's see if better minds chime in.

Yep, the TV is a Jan 2013 model...

Comment

With thanks to tw2005 you may find this useful
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanx.. I'll check it out..

By the by, I did find another Main Board for this model.. Same issue..

Comment

Plug everything back in as you normally would have it and double check all connectors twice. Plug in your set but do not turn it on. If it is already auto turning on, then turn it off.

Now take a look at your Y-sustain board on the top portion of that board you will find a yellow transformer with an IC chip just below it and a few blue capacitors around it.
            Take freeze spray and spray the chip and capacitors around it with said freeze spray or upside down can of air. (you do not need to spray the transformer, I only used it as a reference point) Once that is done, go ahead and quickly turn the set on. You should see the picture appear on screen now. If it does, obviously you have a Y-sus issue which is very easy to fix. If it does not turn on, then I am not sure what your issue is.

Comment

Thanx Nick.. I'll give that a shot and report back.. Might be a day or so...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's Tvs View Post
                Plug everything back in as you normally would have it and double check all connectors twice. Plug in your set but do not turn it on. If it is already auto turning on, then turn it off.

Now take a look at your Y-sustain board on the top portion of that board you will find a yellow transformer with an IC chip just below it and a few blue capacitors around it.
                Take freeze spray and spray the chip and capacitors around it with said freeze spray or upside down can of air. (you do not need to spray the transformer, I only used it as a reference point) Once that is done, go ahead and quickly turn the set on. You should see the picture appear on screen now. If it does, obviously you have a Y-sus issue which is very easy to fix. If it does not turn on, then I am not sure what your issue is.

Holy carp, it worked!!!!

The picture is kinda mishapen and under-scanned, but I think that is due to I don't have the right MAIN board in there..

Apologies for the crappy pic. It's hard to hold the UNIT up and get far enough away to take a decent pic..

So, apparently, I have a bad Y-SUS

UPDATE: I had another Y-SUS, actually the original one, put it in and had the exact same problem.. Sound, no pic.. Did the freeze spray thing and it came up just like before.. While it's possible that two completely different YSUSs have the same problem, is it likely???
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Michale32086; 06-27-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

OK I ordered a repair kit for the YSUS board.

Forgive what is a very rookie question, but I read that the replacement caps are are polarized, so the POS and NEG leads have to be adhered to..

But I don't see any indications on the board that signify POS or NEG...

Am I missing something???
                  Attached Files

Comment

DUH....

Never mind..

Comment

OK Reporting success!!! Got the new parts installed in the YSUS board and the TV powers up like a champ.. I still have the resolution issue, but that's likely due to not having the right MAIN BOARD in there..

So, the moral of the story is... Even if you replace ALL the parts, check the voltages!!!

Thanx to all for the assist...

Comment

I have a Samsung PN60E530A3F Plasma. And this TV has a similar problem. The LED Indication will blink on 6-sec off 3-sec... on 6-sec, off 3-sec.... etc
                        Replaced three capacitors next to the yellow transformer and microchip. There is no picture on the screen.

What can you guys tell?

Comment

Then you may have an issue with your buffer boards. Did you perform the freezing trick prior to replacing the capacitors? Were you able to get picture on screen with the freezing? IF so you may have gotten bad parts. If not, then your issue may be somewhere else in the set such as the buffers.

Comment

I did not freeze. Checked all replaced parts and they work. The reason is most likely different. I do not know how to determine this reason.

Comment

Hello Folks!

Bumping this thread, as I have the same exact model SAMSUNG 60" (suffix XZA) with the exact same issue.

I have read the PN51D550C1FXZA Fast Track Troubleshooting Manual which was linked early in this thread. My machine does not have the same component & PCB layout as these instructions, although similar.

I have already used the upside down air spray (liquid) upon the group of suspect caps on the Y Main board..... twice, without joy.

I am at the step of confirming the "vital signs", Vs, Va, Vsc & Ve as per the above manual. I'm searching for the test points on the PCB's, and have found a couple from the pics in the manual..... but my PCBs have a slightly different layout. Are all SAMSUNG test points labeled completely, or just "Vs" next to the solder point?

My Uncle was a Radio & TV man for 50 years..... he's long gone, and it's my time to step UP. I just can't stomach throwing this device in the trash.

My experience with electronics is limited, but I am well aware of power supply failures as well as system shorts to ground which cause the PS to collapse with the drainage.

Appreciate your guidance folks! TIA.

Comment

Reporting my first "vital sign" voltages. All of these readings taken with the X and Y boards cable connected thru to the power supply:

Vs = 147V which then decays quickly down to 15V in around 10 seconds

Va = 56.5V which also then decays quickly dropping around 10V/second

(both of these were taken at the identified TP's on the power supply board)

Ve = 135V, then decays fairly quickly as the others did (taken at Y board connector)

Vs con = 0V (taken at X board connector)

ALL of these readings peaked instantly upon connection of the main 110VAC cable to it's connection (Samsung sounds play). If the power cable remains connected, all the voltages dip down < 10VDC.

That's what I've got thus far. I'm not certain if the Vsc which is listed on the voltage tag is the same as Vs con. I don't see Vsc on any of the cable connections or test points.

Next step is?

Comment

I would suggest removing your X and Y sustain out of circuit and checking all of the transistors for shorts.
                                  If no shorts are detected, then I would suggest plugging them back into circuit and then remove the ribbon that connects the main board to the Y-sustain and power up the set. Do your voltages stay steady? If so then your Y-sustain is the issue. Same symptoms? then most likely the Y is okay. Repeat the process with the X-main.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's Tvs View Post
                                    I would suggest removing your X and Y sustain out of circuit and checking all of the transistors for shorts.
                                    If no shorts are detected, then I would suggest plugging them back into circuit and then remove the ribbon that connects the main board to the Y-sustain and power up the set. Do your voltages stay steady? If so then your Y-sustain is the issue. Same symptoms? then most likely the Y is okay. Repeat the process with the X-main.
                                    Thank you sir! My next thought was to check those voltages again, first with just the Y-sus disconnected, then the X-sus. If either restores voltages to the main power supply board, then we know where the issue is local to.

I'll have to read up on checking the transistors; I know what they do, but don't have experience checking them. Am I looking for shorts to ground, or ?

Comment

OK, with thanks to Nick's TV, the following data:

With Y-SUS cable disconnected (ribbon cable at 12'oclock from X -> Y board)

Vs=211 VDC ; falls ~ 3v/sec
                                      Va= 57 VDC ; falls also ~ 3v/sec
                                      Vs con = 43VDC for 1 sec. then collapse to 11 VDC
                                      Ve = 2.5VDC steady

Now with top ribbon reconnected Y-> Y, and cable from PS -> X disconnected:

Vs = 0
                                      Va = 0
                                      Vs con = 3 VDC steady
                                      no Ve test point on PS board

Spec Voltages from tag at 11 O'clock on the set:

Va = 211
                                      Va = 57
                                      Vsc = -198
                                      Ve = 98

As the first test with the Y-SUS disconnected cable resulted in 2 normal voltages (momentarily) and given that most web lore claims this set suffers from Y-SUS board failure most typically, I've pulled that board out (without damage). What I know of transistors is they get darn HOT..... so obviously they are the 2 and 3 legged components on the aluminum cooling mounts. I'll check pricing on a complete replacement board AND I'll go item by item to see if any of these transistors appear to be OPEN or GROUNDED. First YouTube video wasn't really useful, but I'll check resistance and look for variation. AND stay away from those caps!

Comment

Det 17,

When you check transistors, you will want to be in resistance mode aka Ohms mode on your multi-meter and place your negative lead on the middle pin and the positive lead on one of the outer pins, than the other. If any of them show you low resistance such as 50 ohms or lower, than you have identified the problem circuit board. You will want to repeat the process on all transistors. You will also want to make sure you allow enough time for the capacitors to discharge before removing the board from circuit and doing your multi-meter checks. If you perform the checks while some of the capacitors are still energized even by 2-3 volts, it could cause your multi meter to detect a fake short when in fact the components are fully functional.

Lastly when performing the diagnostic posted previously, disconnecting the ribbon from the Y-sustain but leaving all other cables plugged in, will either not change the symptoms, or will allow the voltages to stay steady. When the ladder occurs, you will generally have those voltages stay steady and at the required voltage until the set is disconnected. This means if the voltages stays steady for only 2 or 3 seconds, then the issue is most likely somewhere else in the TV. Now none of these tests are absolute 100% fool proof, and sometimes more thorough troubleshooting is required, but when a TV becomes difficult to trouble shoot and you do decided to replace boards, I suggest making sure you purchase from sellers that allow returns, and to double check transistors and other components on the board prior to installing them as often they will be used boards and not always trust worthy.

If you need more help, I have some more involved troubleshooting I can go through with you, but will require more time and is a bit of a process.

Comment

Thank you for the "voice of experience" when board level troubleshooting these machines.

The only board disconnect of the 2 (first the Y-sus, second the X-sus) that resulted in instantaneous voltages that were proper, was the top ribbon cable from X to Y-sus. However the voltages did not hold continously..... they degraded with time as I noted. With all boards attached, upon establishing 110VAC power to the main board, I did not have voltages near the spec. voltages.

As I said, I've already got the Y-sus board out on the examination table. I can't say how long it took me to get it removed after power down.... maybe 10 minutes? If you recommend a longer time for the caps to discharge, then please state the time and I'll have to reinstall the board and run a power cycle.

Tomorrow night I can run the ohms resistance check across the transistors. At least one block of them isn't accessible from the soldering side of the PCB. There is a grey rectangular block of material attached to the PCB which prevents you from reading the pins from that side; however perhaps I can still read all those resistance readings from the device side.

Appreciate all your help! I'm determined to save this 60inch flatscreen, and am trying not to blindly fire "the parts cannon" at it to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                          X