Anatek Blue ESR meter calibration problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anatek Blue ESR meter calibration problem

I just finished assembling my meter and everything powered up just fine with the “-” on the left display. I went to calibrate the meter and adjust the VR2 pot and I cannot get it to display 82, 56 is as high as i can get. I am wondering if I have the pots switched.

One POT has 103 marked on the adjustment screw which I believe is the 10k and the other has 201 marked on the screw and I assume that is the 200ohm pot. The 201 is mounted in the VR2 position and the 103 is mounted in the VR1 position. I haven't run any diagnostics yet but I was just curious if the pots are in the correct location.

Anyone else happen to have this problem during calibration? What was your fix? Thanks for any insight.

Re: Anatek Blue ESR meter calibration problem

The schematic that comes with the kit and the BOM does not tell you what the Values of the VR1, VR2 should be?
    Or may be some of the parts are in the wrong locations?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

You adjust VR2 to read 82ohms with an 82R test resistor in place.

Just double check you did not mix up a component, especially a resistor. Use a ohmmeter to confirm the 1% values are hard to read.
      R15,R16,R17,R18 make the pulse amplifier wonky.

Bob has troubleshooting instructions here
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        You adjust VR2 to read 82ohms with an 82R test resistor in place.

Just double check you did not mix up a component, especially a resistor. Use a ohmmeter to confirm the 1% values are hard to read.
        R15,R16,R17,R18 make the pulse amplifier wonky.

Bob has troubleshooting instructions here
        Thank you for the reply. Currently I am going through all components. All 1% and 5% resistors are in the correct locations based on colors by using a 10x loupe and a LED flashlight for color correction. Next I will start on the semiconductors. I am also going to scrub the trace side of the board with denatured alcohol and a tooth brush to make sure all whiskers and flux is removed. Then I will attempt to recalibrate and see what happens.

I will recheck your suggested R15,R16,R17,R18 resistors just to be sure. After that I was going to run the diagnostics as I have a DC power supply so I can get the necessary 6.2-6.8V. Since I am not an expert at this, the destructions reads that R30 needs to be shorted. Does this mean to remove and jumper across or can I jumper across with the resistor in place? Thanks.
        Last edited by blfuller; 05-19-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I believe I found it. The Q8 semiconductor has been installed incorrectly. It is 180 out. I will reinstall and do the calibration to see what happens and report back.

Comment

A flipped transistor would cause the low calibration numbers.

R30 is shorted (temporary jumper is ok) as part of running the unit's self-test. There are quite a few diagnostics the firmware can do to make sure things are working. I think you just run the self-test once after building the kit.

The low battery alert you can just turn VR1 until it trips, with say 5.5V power, which is pretty much a near dead 9V battery. R30 is not part of this at all.

It's a good kit, but kind of complicated with so many parts.
            I used a bunch of resistors and capacitors in my junkbox to test the unit's numbers.

Comment

Ok, that was the problem. Thanks for the assistance. Not sure how I could have installed that 180 out, must have been in need of some food.

Thanks again.

Now Witness the Firepower of this fully Armed and Operational Blue ESR Meter!

Comment

Ok another question. Got these capacitors, 4700uF 63V that I pulled from a subwoofer amp that I am trying to repair. I charged the caps at 12v with a DC power supply, one charged fine and had the correct voltage. The other arced when I touched the clips to the leads as if the cap was shorted out internally or something. Polarity was correct so I touched it again and it did not spark and it took the charge. Both held at 12V.

I discharge the caps and zero the meter and read the caps. One reads .03 and the other reads .04. I am wondering it the cap that arced would have read bad if I had not tried to charge it.

Per the Approx. worst (highest) ESR readings for new Capacitors chart on page 11 in the manual, the value is .05 for this specific capacitor value. So I take it these are good since .03 and .04 is less than .05. So the question I have is, actually how good are they? Should they be replaced simply due to their age? These caps are about 24 years old.

There are other caps in the amp that I will be checking as well, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I would think if they were say brand new the reading would be a lot less or is my reasoning flawed?

I had a new cap laying around that has a value of 470uF @ 35V and its reading was 0.09 and the chart value is 0.1.

Any suggestions?
                Last edited by blfuller; 05-19-2017, 11:46 PM.

Comment

does the meter also check the uf rating of the capacitors or are you using a seperate meter

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                    does the meter also check the uf rating of the capacitors or are you using a seperate meter
                    Honestly I don't know what this meter is capable of. I initially thought about getting a capacitance meter but from reading on the net, people thought that that would not really give you the true condition of the capacitor and said an ESR meter would give you the true condition of the cap.

So I went this route. Maybe one still needs a capacitance meter. I'm really a hobbiest at this so I cannot tell you.

Comment

i have a cheap meter but it does both capacitance and esr at the same time im not sure as still learning myself so i dont know if a capacitor with a good esr reading can still produce a problem with low uf value? or would/does that show up all the time with raised esr readings? hopefully someone more experienced will advise us.

Comment

hopefully someone more experienced will advise us.
                        Me too!

Comment

i have a cheap meter but it does both capacitance and esr at the same time im not sure as still learning myself so i dont know if a capacitor with a good esr reading can still produce a problem with low uf value? or would/does that show up all the time with raised esr readings? hopefully someone more experienced will advise us.
                          This is me

If I get a UF reading of more or less than 10% of it value then I charge them
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply
                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

if you get a uF reading of 10% or more over the marked value, it probably also has very high v-loss and is faulty.
                            you wont know this with meters that only show esr and / or capacitance though.

Comment

No test is 100%. Just testing for esr or capacity is not checking for all fail modes just the most common. So the more tests you make the better as far as catching a problem. You can check a fet with a multimeter but it does not mean it is good. It just passed the most common failure mode.
                              I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Working...
                              X