Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xbox RROD succesfully fixed plus modded

Fuck, so much bad advice.

Reflow by unplugging the fans is not a reflow at all. You may damage the procs on the board.

1000f heat gun is going to warp your board or do a shit job reflowing. The time is about right though, some times it took 15. Correct temp was 350-380C. Chip itself gets up to 200 or so... i checked with a IR temp probe.

Reinstalling the clamps leads to repeat failure as the clamps move the board while screwed to the casing when everything heats up. I read this was a contributing factor in the failures based on varying rates of expansion/contraction in the metal.

My Nvidia reflows tend to last over 6 months. Xboxes were hit or miss, some kept going forever some lasted a month. The older ones tended to stay fixed while the newer ones were more flaky. Also there is more than one RROD code, some fixed very well some were a matter of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB View Post
      1000f heat gun is going to warp your board or do a shit job reflowing.
      I've not had that problem, yet.

Comment

See how hot the chips get. Maybe its perfect b/c of overrating.

Comment

See how hot the chips get. Maybe its perfect b/c of overrating.
          That's what I'm thinking.
          Next time I reflow, I'll use a IR probe.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            Using bolts causes another problem which I discovered happened to my Xenon. The effect is called "tinning". Fine, you've now applied pressure to ensure good contact, but I believe that this accelerates the tinning. Tinning (I hope I'm referencing the correct term) is when the solder "legs" start to grow very small, fine horizontal "branches". When they reach the next contact, it causes a short
            actually they're called 'tin whiskers'. and it is the reason satellites in space have failed. No one knows why it happens, there are theories, but nothing solid

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/background/

photos
            http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/photos/index.htm
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Thanks for the correction.

My assumption might be correct though that the clamp fix might encourage tin whisker growth:
              Externally Applied Compressive Stresses such as those introduced by torquing of a nut or a screw or clamping against a tin-coated surface can sometimes produce regions of whisker growth.
              Second link is 404 BTW.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/photos/index.html

missing the 'l' at the end

for some reason, the pics just look creepy

Comment

Another benefit of the EuroSoc ROhS. I think they mention that adding even a teeny bit of lead alleviates this problem. But thanks to RoHS, even that's not allowed. I'm aware that sometimes you need a non-eutectic solder because of alloy migration during reflow, but adding even minute amounts of lead is prohibited. Another completely retarded law that has no valid reasoning behind it.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

reason is for vulcans and queers

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                      That's what I'm thinking.
                      Next time I reflow, I'll use a IR probe.
                      Why don't you just reball it? You can get leaded solder balls from China off eBay.

Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by thesloc View Post
                        Why don't you just reball it? You can get leaded solder balls from China off eBay.

Problem solved.
                        I wouldn't buy solder balls from china unless some Chinese bitch sucks my dick and gives me money.

Sorry I'm on a anti-china tirade. I went to buy work boots the other day. I was looking for boots made in the USA, turned out they were all made in china. I went to a army/navy surplus store same thing. Even the basic issues were made in china. Then they wonder why America's gone to shit.

Anyways
                        I don't have the tools to remove the chip or the skill to perfectly lay the balls back on the grid.

Comment

Most of what you own is made in China, my friend lol.

Comment

The only thing we manufacture now is financial products. If you think China's physical products are junk....

Re-balling is too much work.

Comment

I wouldn't buy solder balls from china unless some Chinese bitch sucks my dick and gives me money.

Sorry I'm on a anti-china tirade. I went to buy work boots the other day. I was looking for boots made in the USA, turned out they were all made in china. I went to a army/navy surplus store same thing. Even the basic issues were made in china. Then they wonder why America's gone to shit.

Anyways
                              I don't have the tools to remove the chip or the skill to perfectly lay the balls back on the grid.
                              Should be high quality. China has a lot of experience selling us stuff with lead in it (mostly paint on children's toys).

Comment

BTW, got this for Xmas.
                                http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Limit.../dp/B0050SYJJA

Comment

Time to crack it open and hack the drive. I wonder which drive your unit has.

Comment

Sorry I'm on a anti-china tirade.
                                    Same boat here! (Even though I'm late to post this lol)

It's a pandemic in the 2000s! Makes me miss the 1990s and 1980s!

We now have a new bathroom off the kitchen. Crapper made in China! (Just like the fan and light fixtures)
                                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-01-2012, 01:56 AM.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                      Same boat here! (Even though I'm late to post this lol)

It's a pandemic in the 2000s! Makes me miss the 1990s and 1980s!

We now have a new bathroom off the kitchen. Crapper made in China! (Just like the fan and light fixtures)
                                      Our houses are going to burn down.

Comment

Reflow by unplugging the fans is not a reflow at all. You may damage the procs on the board.

1000f heat gun is going to warp your board or do a shit job reflowing. The time is about right though, some times it took 15. Correct temp was 350-380C. Chip itself gets up to 200 or so... i checked with a IR temp probe.
                                        Definitely bad ideas.

If you want to fix the issue properly you need to do it properly. That means bottom side preheating the board to avoid warping, but not overheating and cooking anything. You can do a perfect reball on the IC but if you warped the board then it was a waste of time.

You might even need to bake the board first at low heat to remove moisture and help prevent popcorning.

Then heating the IC from the top itself with a proper heater, not some cheap heatgun on full power. If you go too high you cook the IC.

(Note: this previous is stuff I have gathered from research not practical experience)
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

I tried to reflow mine by overheating. It worked, for two days, then a week, then one day...Finally I resorted to the oven trick. I didn't have a hot air rework station at the time and I was desperate. hehe

I also took the dvd drive out and have it mounted outside the xbox sitting on top. Right below it I cut holes in the case and mounted two fans blowing straight down on the vid chip and HANA chip. It's been working great ever since.

The oven trick, btw... I double wrapped the board in foil leaving the top and bottom side of the two chips exposed. Preheated oven to 500º and threw it in for about 2-5 min. I do not recommend this method to anyone. But it did work for me.

Comment

Working...
                                          X