Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimei CMV 221D

Hi,

I'm new here and just wanted to say thanks for the site and all that have posted. I have 2 22" Chimei monitors in a dual monitor setup, one I had taken out of service over a year ago, I just never got around to taking it to the dump. Now the 2nd monitor started with the exact same problem, so I knew the end result.

It's symptoms were when the monitor was on and the computer off the orange LED would light (orange because of no signal), when I would boot the computer, and the monitor would get a signal, the LED would go out as opposed to turning green. Sometimes it would come on after a period of time, other times the OS wouldn't acknowledge there was a second monitor. It would also start OK if Windows was just restarted, but if it was turned off for any period of time (or we lost power) it wouldn't come back on.

I did some Google searching and found this site and read through a bunch of posts in the forums. I decided to open it up and see if anything looked obvious. There were 2 CapXon 1000uf 25V caps that looked like they were bulging a bit, and a 3rd CapXon 2200uf 10V cap that "looked" OK I figured it was suspect anyway since I had read about their reputation.

I decided it was worth a shot, since the other option was to replace them both and take them to the dump. So I ordered replacements for the 3 caps for $1.55 and since shipping was ~$5 I decided to go ahead and order an extra set for the monitor that was just starting the downward spiral.

Both monitors are now up and working fine, I no longer have to be afraid to turn the monitor off or about losing power and have them not start without a hassle. The 2nd monitor (that I was still using) when I opened that up, the caps were bulged even more and one actually leaking electrolyte out the top.

So I just wanted to post and say thanks to all that have posted helping others, so that I was able to draw from their wisdom. I also figured it might help someone with the same monitor/issue, since both my Chimei CMV 221D monitors had the same problem.

Ed

BTW, I also have an old computer that has 4 leaking caps on the motherboard...so that will be my next project.
    Last edited by lefevreed; 06-15-2012, 03:23 PM.

Re: Chimei CMV 221D

Glad to hear you fixed your monitor. Bad caps continue to plague monitors and TVs, despite the quality of certain capacitors being well known for at least 5 years. The whole bad caps saga has been known for at least 10 years. Cost cutting is likely the culprit.

CapXon are among, if not the worst manufacturer of capacitors - in my bad cap pull bag at least 40% are CapXons. I, and others, refer to them as CrapXon for a reason.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
    X