acer al1916w was funtioning now ccfls dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acer al1916w was funtioning now ccfls dead

I am trying to save an acer that someone gave me. When I first got it, it was staying on for 10-30 secs then the backlight would die. I got it running by turning the brightness down (default is 100) to about ten. it stayed on for an hour so I thought I was good and started incrementally increasing the brightness to around 25 without issues. I then placed it in its final home and of course it then decided to crap out on me. now it it doing 2 secs to black. the video shows up fine with a flashlight and I cranked the brightness all the way down again. I notice that the brightness starts at the level where the settings say it should be then within half a second seems to max out then die. also there is a faint whining that is on the upper range of my hearing coming from the board but i can't pin point whether is is one of the inverters (this board has two) or one of the caps (cheap Su'scon caps) near the inverters. I just would like to get a more experienced opinion than mine to see if these symptoms are a perfect match to some particular component before I fire up the soldering iron and go hunting for compatible components. the board and solder joints look pristine (one small surface burn on one of the inverter contacts but it goes across the silicon not along the contact so I am assuming its from manufacture not a symptom). Thank you

Re: acer al1916w was funtioning now ccfls dead

I have a Benq 17 inch monitor that behaves in the same way. Luckily I had 2 identical monitors and through the process of swapping out boards and components, I narrowed the problem down to the ccfls and/or its wiring as the culprit.

I haven't taken it apart yet (and this is over 1 year) to actually look at the ccfls because it is time consuming and delicate work.

As the ccfls age, they draw more power.

Basically you are looking for what is described here

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

in posts #19 and #20. Start with section 5) Bad CCFL/wiring. Other possibilities might be bad inverter transformer, bad caps, and others.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-17-2012, 04:23 AM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: acer al1916w was funtioning now ccfls dead

thank you for pointing me in a direction it seems like a less daunting task than doing a full board diagnostic.

Comment

Working...
      X