Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this cap problem getting worse or better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this cap problem getting worse or better?

Not been on this forum for a while; I am still using a ViewSonic VX922 that you people helped me repair

I've just noticed the length of the Samsung Syncmaster 225BW thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...d=1#post215741 !

The above tread is enormous! Does this mean the bad cap problem is getting worse?

Re: Is this cap problem getting worse or better?

Originally posted by Hunt View Post
    Not been on this forum for a while; I am still using a ViewSonic VX922 that you people helped me repair

I've just noticed the length of the Samsung Syncmaster 225BW thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...d=1#post215741 !

The above tread is enormous! Does this mean the bad cap problem is getting worse?
    The question is ambiguous. There are two interpretations.

1. "Are capacitors less reliable than those manufactured 5 or 10 years ago?" I would say no, quality caps are more available and of better quality than they were 5 and 10 years ago.

2. "Are more items failing due to bad capacitors?" I would say Yes. The endurance of a cap is a function of it's hours under stress. When a TV or monitor is in standby the actual power dissipation is quite low, and the caps are under very little stress. As 'power on hours' increases reliability problems will show up. Or as I should have expressed it - "The monitor that is on 24 hours a day will fail due to bad caps at an earlier date than the one that is on only 8 hours a day." We are now getting into the monitors which were seeing less use per day.

In addition, we are also seeing monitors that are failing due to other causes than bad capacitors.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

And #3.
      While better caps are available, they are using worse caps more often.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        And #3.
        While better caps are available, they are using worse caps more often.
        True. But at 5:22 I can't count that far.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

In an ideal world, as polymer capacitors get cheaper and more ranges available, we should see less issues related to capacitors as companies replace the regular electrolytics with polymers. As far as I see, they're more reliable.

They're still more expensive even when buying in volume and I know there are some cases where you just can't use them...

However, it sort of looks like more companies go the planned obsolence route and design their devices in such ways that guarantee at some point their devices fail after a while.

I'm seeing a lot of devices which have general purpose or 85c rated capacitors near heatsinks, I'm seeing undersized heatsinks, too little or excessive thermal paste applied (which is bad) and I really doubt all this is to save a dollar or so on a 100-150$ device, but rather to guarantee the device will die within a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
            True. But at 5:22 I can't count that far.

PlainBill
            I have to.
            The coffee pot takes 3 scoops.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post

However, it sort of looks like more companies go the planned obsolence route and design their devices in such ways that guarantee at some point their devices fail after a while.
              In addition to the above, what do you people think about the possibility of panel makers unwittingly using counterfeit capacitors?
              I seem to remember this was a concern or was that just scare mongering.

Comment

Scare mongering.

They buy in vast quantities - direct from the factory.
                If they are using counterfeits - they KNOW it.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

One point that I think bears consideration. Cost / benefit considerations are important for any consumer electronics firm. I think it's pretty obvious that
                  1. A large number of the problems we are dealing with are related to inferior caps, and

2. Good quality caps are available.

The manufacturers don't find it cost effective to use Nichicon / United Chemicon / etc when CapXon, Elite, etc will supply caps at a lower cost that will last through the warranty period, and several years beyond. Until consumers are willing to pay a premium for a more durable product, we are going to be replacing bad caps, shorted (or open) transformers, and pink CCFLs.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                    One point that I think bears consideration. Cost / benefit considerations are important for any consumer electronics firm. I think it's pretty obvious that
                    1. A large number of the problems we are dealing with are related to inferior caps, and

2. Good quality caps are available.

The manufacturers don't find it cost effective to use Nichicon / United Chemicon / etc when CapXon, Elite, etc will supply caps at a lower cost that will last through the warranty period, and several years beyond. Until consumers are willing to pay a premium for a more durable product, we are going to be replacing bad caps, shorted (or open) transformers, and pink CCFLs.

PlainBill
                    I think you might have some thing in what you are saying here

For my self I would not mind paying more for better caps
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply
                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

As consumers continue to want cheaper, larger TVs, cap quality becomes less important,
                      Especially in cheap/brands like Vizio and Dynex.
                      As long as the majority f the units live past warranty, they're fi e using crp components.
                      By the ti,e issues start showinnbn up online in places like here, theyve discontinued that model...

Comment

We have a metric crapload of LG monitors in the office. Almost everyone has a notebook, and 1 or 2 monitors. We've been buying them since probably 2005.
                        We've had maybe 4 fail in warranty, and about 5-7 out of warranty. I take 'em home, fix 'em and donate the 17" and 19" ers.
                        It's almost always bad caps though one was a failed CCFL that killed a dual FET, which I bought for too much from the U.K. replaced, re-capped THEN found the bad lamp.

Anyway, my point... even though they have known bad quality caps, and they're connected to power 24/7 (some don't get switched off) the majority have lasted well past warranty. 'course they're all ticking time bombs, and I'm never surprised when one dies....
                        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                          For my self I would not mind paying more for better caps
                          I think you would't. Do you prefer servers or desktops?
                          sig files are for morons

Comment

As long as there's people who think they can get good quality from cheap crap the cheap crap will be produced. The worst part is that the buyers of cheap crap put pressure on makers of decent stuff to cut a corner here or there just to survive. The buyers of cheap crap don't see consequences of their cheap ways until enough time has passed that they can't see the connection between buying cheap crap and poor product life.
                            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I agree we should not just buy cheap, but the problem is price may not be an indicator of good value since there is limited unbiased information for buyers to judge how good a product is.

Comment

Working...
                              X